Author Topic: GoPro $1 Million Challenge and Review  (Read 2903 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
GoPro $1 Million Challenge and Review
« on: February 08, 2020, 06:26:59 AM »
GoPro was started in Half Moon Bay, Ca by Nick Woodman.  A few years ago he was the highest paid CEO in America.

GoPro has since crashed back to Earth but not without changing the way we view our world.  Good for them.  Good for Nick.

Good for me, SupTheCreek, Clay, OkiWild and the rest who struggle with new technology, failed batteries, leaks, water droplets, forgotten memory cards, crashed computers, bad angles, 'forgot to push record', and hours upon hours of editing to share our experiences with the planet.

This was the 2020 GoPro $1M Challenge.  Each entrant won an equal share of $1M.  $22K a piece.

https://youtu.be/MKunD8H3G-8   

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: GoPro $1 Million Challenge and Review
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 06:27:23 AM »
I had not bought a new GoPro in several years.  We had planned a return trip to my favorite place on earth Heron Island.  I bought the Hero 8 in anticipation of this trip and the challenge.

Get a clip in the video - Pay for the trip.  The chances probably 50%.

Heron is on the Southern end of the Great Barrier reef.  It is the epitome of a Great Barrier reef experience. 

I first went to Heron 40 years ago and it is as Healthy, No coral bleaching, and with More sharks, turtles and rays than ever. 95% of this video was shot with Hero8.

Stunning.  Best watched @ 4K resolution on a 70" monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYnwb1rTv2Q
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 06:37:58 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 06:49:39 AM »
GoPro was one of my Forest Gump moments.  I nearly worked there in 2013 just 6 months before they went public.  Others included:

• Studying a business case on Amazon in 1997.  Raising my hand and saying "You'll never make money in books alone."  Jeff Bezos was in the class and said 'Thank you!'
  • Writing the business plan for Skydeck View in 1998.  This was a website designed to host and share videos.  We built a working website with videos and Won the competition for the most eyeballs.  I dump that idea and join a software company.  Google acquired YouTube for $1.65B in 2006.
  • Joining Siebel Systems in 1998 because it would be a good 'learning experience.'  It goes on to be the fastest growing software company in the history of the world.  It was profitable and run by bad-asses.  I end up the lone product marketing person for SiebelNet.  The hosted, SAAS version of customer relationship management CRM with $20M revenue and 15 customers.  I stay too long.  Siebel acquired by Larry - Oracle Deathstar - half the people quit and go to Salesforce.com . . . I become a consultant.

Life hasn't sucked but I still have a long way to go to achieving PonoBill status.

PS:  I am not sure how many more At-Bats I get  :o 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:17:44 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 07:20:58 AM »
The clarity, color and stability @ 20 seconds in this clip is OVER THE TOP.

Hero8, GoFoil GL210, L41 7" 4" with stick on footstraps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhI15r6AsVg
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:23:48 AM by Beasho »

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 11:31:59 AM »
here is my forest moment   sorry for th hijack i just couldn't resist. I am a geologist and so i  find rocks  way way back inthe  mid 70's  i had found a green chunck of serpentine that looked like a frog.  One evening  i was having a party  in my dorm room  some asked what is that pointing to the rock. I flippantly answered  "Oh that is my pet rock" the rest as they say is history.

The thread may now resume.  sorry for the   interruption
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 11:50:00 AM »
Too funny Outsidewave. Beasho, I have a long line of Forrest Gump moments. The success I had was not the success I could have had. Looking back, the opportunities are endless. The trick is finding one that works before it becomes history. But better yet, living life well. I'd say your arbitrage worked very well indeed. In my experience, the only fun people who chase money seem to have is adding more zeros. Chasing waves makes a lot more sense.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 05:57:57 AM »
Beasho, that video of the family at Heron Island is awesome!
Your girls are showing a lot of waterman skills and stoke.

You have a good shot at a piece of the prize with some of that footage.
Your family is awesome, I always enjoy being around them.... job well done Mom and Dad!

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 06:32:24 PM »
I just bought another 7 Black. Also bought the Super Suit dive housing for it... Bet ya can't guess why.  >:(

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 04:51:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing the videos. Boy what an adventurous family. My daughter, a tough high-school soccer defender, turns into a 3 year old at the prospect of touching seaweed.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 01:40:19 PM »
GoPro was one of my Forest Gump moments.  I nearly worked there in 2013 just 6 months before they went public.  Others included:

• Studying a business case on Amazon in 1997.  Raising my hand and saying "You'll never make money in books alone."  Jeff Bezos was in the class and said 'Thank you!'
  • Writing the business plan for Skydeck View in 1998.  This was a website designed to host and share videos.  We built a working website with videos and Won the competition for the most eyeballs.  I dump that idea and join a software company.  Google acquired YouTube for $1.65B in 2006.
  • Joining Siebel Systems in 1998 because it would be a good 'learning experience.'  It goes on to be the fastest growing software company in the history of the world.  It was profitable and run by bad-asses.  I end up the lone product marketing person for SiebelNet.  The hosted, SAAS version of customer relationship management CRM with $20M revenue and 15 customers.  I stay too long.  Siebel acquired by Larry - Oracle Deathstar - half the people quit and go to Salesforce.com . . . I become a consultant.

Life hasn't sucked but I still have a long way to go to achieving PonoBill status.

PS:  I am not sure how many more At-Bats I get  :o

From the looks of your family in the Heron Island video, you are a very rich man in the things that matter.  Awesome.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal