Author Topic: Cutting down a Gofoil mast-possible?  (Read 2149 times)

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Cutting down a Gofoil mast-possible?
« on: February 10, 2020, 02:50:32 PM »
Saw one of Pono Bill’s older posts mentioning Alan Cadiz having people begin winging on a 12” cut down Gofoil mast. Any idea how to do it?  Replacing the the Deep Tuttle head would become a weak point wouldn’t it? The 17.7” Axis mast is just about right for my shallow break but  I love to do prone on my Gofoil wings.
Cheers

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cutting down a Gofoil mast-possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 06:09:12 PM »
Not too hard to do... Check out this guy's videos https://youtu.be/5JCCBHW646k

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 08:09:29 PM »
Very cool, that's how I'd do it. There are several ways to make the mold, but that's a good'un. I'd chop carbon into the epoxy and stuff wetted short bits of carbon into the mold, but yup, that would do it.

I'm sure what Alan did was go to Alex's shop and get him to use his Tuttle mold to make a super short mast. The other, messier but effective option is to cut a section out of the middle, sand (or better yet, mill) the parts to be joined down into a fairly thin blade. Put them in a jig to keep them straight, and build them back up with ten or so layers of carbon on each side. Then sand to shape. Probably draggy, weaker, and a lot more work than molding on a Tuttle would be.

The third option, get one of the Tuttle to track adapters. Cut down the mast, drill a bunch of 1/4" holes near the bottom of the mast like the guy in the video did and stick it in the adapter. Jig it up to get it straight and stuff it full of wet carbon bits. More expensive and you'd need tracks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 09:10:16 PM »
This seems like a good place to put this lol. I’ve been wanting to make a carbon fuselage and can’t figure out how people mold stuff that looks like a block of carbon like a Tuttle head. Is it just a ton of chopped fibers, or is it cloth layers? Some of both?

I’m wondering if to get the ratio right if I need to just stack up 100 layers of carbon strips into a mold or if I could make a carbon paste that would be close enough to 50/50 to work. Seems like this would go for the Tuttle heads too.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 12:15:14 PM »
SC, I repaired and modified a foil mast with a damaged tuttle. I used layers of cloth, sanded to a rough deep tuttle shape then set it in the mold as seen in the video filled with resin, milled and chopped fiber.
Also, I think he has a video showing a foil mast build.

Happy Building  :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:16:50 PM by Surfside »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 08:03:02 PM »
Thx man. I saw that video. I’m gonna play around with some molding next I think. I love that guy’s video style. Sped up but showing everything is kind of genius since we can slow things down when we want to see something.

Post up what happens with this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal