Author Topic: 360 Cameras - Have they arrived? Ready to be an everyday camera?  (Read 4447 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
360 Cameras - Have they arrived? Ready to be an everyday camera?
« on: February 05, 2020, 06:52:25 PM »
I have been messing with 360 cameras a lot lately, seems like they have reached the point of being convenient enough to be an everyday camera.  For surfing GoPro has released the Max, Insta360 has a new One R, there's the old Garmin 360.   Some other interesting cameras out there but as far as know there are only 3 cameras that are waterproof with no need for a housing.

My current favorite is the GoPro Max, it works reliably, image quality looks good, and the software is stable.  The Insta360 One R is very promising but so far I have been struggling to get it to work reliably.  The Garmin is solid hardware wise, but the stitching sucks, and the software crashes a lot, plus side is the gps data is easy to access and overlay, also I have heard Garmin is pulling out of the market.

Anyone know or try any other 360 cameras?

Here is a video I recorded the past couple weeks, we have had a good run of swell and I am super stoked with how the video looks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpHMCfYc1jo
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 360 Cameras - Have they arrived? Ready to be an everyday camera?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 09:07:38 PM »
Clay, I love the tech but I’m still just the least bit gun shy as I really want to be able to avoid distortion altogether.

I feel like we are maybe one generation away from them being dialed. That said, they are far better than any 3-4 year old GoPro a. The post processing and being able to choose your angle is amazing. But I’m going to wait for one more gen before I jump in. Planning on grabbing a Hero8 unless someone pops one out of nowhere.

If I owned one now I’d wait a year. Someone will drop an 8k or better one (currently they are just under 6k resolution) and you’ll be able to pull an angle out that looks like it was shot on a regular camera I’ll bet.

fly2surf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 04:50:17 AM »
Clay,

Video looks great.

How new or powerful of a computer do you need for the processing and editing?

How much does every minute of video need storage wise?  On the chip in the camera and then once you have edited it on a computer?

Thanks

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 10:06:20 AM »
Your video looks amazing, Clay!  A huge step forward in reduced distortion from previous 360 cams.  I responded to your post in the foil group on Facebook too but it would be amazing if you can share a picture of the mount you are using.

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 05:34:44 PM »
Very well done video, and remarkable perspective. But I gotta say the way you guys were rip'n thru the proner line-up is uhhhh ... well I still prone surf too and I wouldn't be happy about that if I were sitting out there. You'all are obviously very accomplished foilers and maybe you know everybody out there, and they're totally cool with it. But I just wonder what message that sends to lesser skilled foilers who maybe don't have any surf etiquette background or total control of their foil. I really think the foilers need to respect the prone surfer line-up, and frankly should stay away if possible. The proner is likely gonna get the worst of it in any collision with a foiler.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 06:14:42 PM »
That looks fantastic, but right now, I'm so mad at Gopro, I could just spit...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 06:23:36 PM »
The best in the moment perspective yet. Paddle mount 360. Not too fish bowled / fish eyed either. Surprisingly linear. Well done. BTW, if your deeper, the wave is yours. Those who sit inside and shoulder hop on a point break on any board, are out of position (for that wave). Lots of waves out there. That said, there are breaks that are so competitive, that rule goes out the door if the shoulder hoppers are pros. It's always their wave. Pretty sure that was Jeff Clark foiling with Clay.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 06:55:36 PM »
Talldude, it’s funny but you are right. Technically those prone guys aren’t sitting deep enough anymore. But it’s be hard to argue that with them lol.

And by the way, didn’t mean at all to disparage Clay’s footage. I agree that the 360 on the paddle is the best you can do at the moment. But for those of you who haven’t seen a regular Hero in a while, you can get a pretty non-distorted image and even level the horizon so they are leveled up too. But the edit possibilities of 360 are too much. You never miss a thing, just pan over there when you edit. I predict they will show us so many amazing things. Imagine how many times people have missed a dolphin (or shark) swimming by, by not pointing the camera the right way.

As to the horse power needed. It’s kinda wild, but with these new cameras you can use the mobile app to edit simple stuff. It’s not like the old days where’s you had to stitch multiple streams. Check YouTube, there’s a ton of videos on editing 360 footage but know that each company has their own workflow.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 10:01:59 AM »

WOW!  That video is great Clay!

How about setting that camera up while surfing on your sup?

Would love to see the video perspective from sup surfing.   8)

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 08:17:13 PM »
Pretty interesting perspective and gives a nice look at how the board and wave interact.
You have really wired your foil surfing Clay... all your work has paid off in spades!

I would like to see the camera set-up.

For SUP surfing, I am sure the results would be very different because the paddle gets used more during turns.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 07:02:02 AM »
wow, and all for under $500!  I wish I had some extra money laying about, as the 360 seems incredible and rugged / waterproof. GoPro really stays relevant.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 09:03:11 AM »
Camera is cool and all if you're into that kinda stuff, but what really impressed me....is Clay, you're tearing it up out there!!!!

It doesn't seem like that long ago that you were posting videos here of yourself just learning the sport, and taking us all along on the spills, chills, and thrills of the long learning curve on your way to proficiency from the safety and comfort of our own couches behind computer screens.

Well my friend, you are now most certainly proficient, and I loved watching you carve the turns and fly the straights like the best of them. Well done sir, well done.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 09:04:42 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 09:06:42 AM »
 Thanks for posting
 I like the perspective I agree with the learning aspect
  Helps to see what’s going on
 You got a nice wave there for foiling
Keep up the good work
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 09:43:02 AM »
Thanks for all the comments and good words.  Glad I'm not the only who enjoys these angles.

Cowboy I hear what you're saying, maybe this current gen of cameras is for the enthusiast to pro, and maybe the next gen will be user friendly enough for everyone.

Fly2surf I suggest downloading a sample video file and the company software and seeing how your computer handles it, that's what I did.  My workstation is 7 years old and still handles just fine (it was cutting edge when I bought it).

805 I'll post something in the next week or so, still fine tuning this mount.

SUP Surfing with this mount might be best on long no cutback waves, hollow sections and boosting airs might look great.

As far as foiling around prone surfers, we foilers see dozens if not hundreds of waves going unridden or only 100 yards is ridden and then 500 yards is wasted.  Also we learned from the dog boarding incident to give a wide berth and kick out when it's really crowded.  There's enough room for everyone out there, and we are learning to coexist.

Talldude yes that's Jeff Clark.

Rick and Dave thanks!  I'm pleased with my foiling progression, and really stoked to have the foil proficiency that seemed impossible a few years ago.

Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 09:17:35 AM »
360 degrees of awesomeness! And your foiling is also awesome! That $499.00 price tag on that new GoPro is a bit steep! But I'm probably spoiled considering I only paid $300.00 for my SS3 w/Opti25 in pre-order (and it still works really well)! Then they hooked me up w/an Opti65 (cam only) for $18, which was for shipping. It was a demo cam they had been testing.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:33:38 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal