Author Topic: Up and riding the foil..woo hoo!  (Read 4301 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Up and riding the foil..woo hoo!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 12:38:14 PM »
Carib,

I have two 24 inch masts from Axis that have never been used if you need one.  50 bucks with the plate adapter will be fine.

Admin, thank you for the generous offer and might take you up on that if I buy an Axis foil eventually.  I am thinking of taking the Fanatic down to the Caribbean because I know I can ride it now and it works well.  If I do that I will have to buy a foil for Florida and your Axis reviews and advice have me sold..
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 04:06:14 PM »
Have to get proficient enough so I can wing it at Kelly Park with you experts... ;D

That way of thinking hurts so many.

I know of another local guy who does the same. He rides in secret and has made very little progress after months of trying.

You learn more, and faster, just being around others who do it well.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 09:40:25 PM »
Well it is a bit of a drive Dwight..and that comment was a little tongue in cheek.  I taught myself to windsurf and will probably learn foiling mostly by myself , but would love to come up your way and see how it’s done.  I’ll give you a shout next time the wind looks good and I can get away to Cocoa..looking forward to it.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 03:20:58 AM »
There is a really good winger out at Ft Pierce all the time. We have ridden with him. He rides behind the Jetty. That is a nice place to ride. You’re practically neighbors.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 09:42:41 AM »
hey Dwight I have surfed the north side of the jetty a few times, do you mean the south side of the jetty/inlet away from the surfers..is that where he wing foils? Is that protected or open ocean?  that isn't too far a rive for me

thanks
Don
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:46:11 AM by Caribsurf »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 12:36:24 PM »
In north winds, he rides the south side of the south jetty. In a south wind, it’s the north side of the north jetty.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2020, 04:05:54 PM »
3rd day foiling today and it was perfect conditions.  I was out with larger Duotone 5m (thanks Gzasinets) and my Fanatic Aero 2000 foil.  The river had filled in so depth wasn't an issue at all and winds were SE 14 with gusts to 21...the set up was PERFECT.  Big enough wing in lulls and not overpowered in gusts. I was up on foil more than on the water and only had one crash.  I am goofy foot and riding that direction I am so comfortable now..on my switch stance not so much, I feel like a pilot taking touch and go lessons...I was up and down constantly..I just couldn't get my weight comfortably forward yet for long rides but it will come. The foil kept coming up to high and I would round off, but luckily I corrected myself  before any crash.   
One thing I noticed about using the Duotone..my Fanatic Sky SUP has a number of new dings on the rails thanks to the Duotone boom and my last two chaotic sessions.  I didn't hit the board today that I know of, but this is a reason to go with a F-One in the future, especially when just learning.

It's amazing how I learn and experience something new with each session, and the fear level has dropped considerably and I feel really at home (goofy foot) and loving riding the foil.  I was on the outside looking in for the last 8 months, but now I feel like I am joining the club!
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 05:03:23 PM »
Yay Don, good job man! Glad you are enjoying duotone. Strange that I never experienced boom hitting the rails  :o I was out today on my new swing - it was fun. My switch still sucks big time so I am experimenting with toe side riding but it seems to require a bit more wind for my expertise level. Funny thing is I always rode with front straps, but today I decided to ditch a strap and I actually liked it more. The pump seemed to be better. On my port tack I seemed to get on the foil within a sec like one or two pumps and I was flying. So something to try if you haven’t already. Happy winging.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2020, 06:42:54 PM »
Cool to see you flying Carib

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal