Author Topic: Up and riding the foil..woo hoo!  (Read 4300 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Up and riding the foil..woo hoo!
« on: February 05, 2020, 05:22:14 PM »
Ok I thought my time in the Caribbean struggling in very challenging conditions was a waste of time and a blow to my confidence, but I learned today it was well worth it.  Back in Florida and today had an amazing day on the water with my Fanatic Sky SUP and Aero 2000 foil and Duotone 4m.   Dwight was right, the larger foil made all the difference.  The flat water and cooperating winds also helped and compared to last week, really favorable conditions.  It was my first time on the water with the set up . I had 1 1/2 hrs behind a jet ski with the board and foil back in November.

The wind started out light, and like windsurfing you need more wind and speed to enjoy this sport..schlogging is not fun.  Once the wind kicked in, it was amazing and I was up and riding the foil in no time..2 hrs and only two crashes, although I did hit bottom with the foil a number of times due to shallow water...(Note to self to buy a 24" mast)  I am still grinning ear to ear.  Had a number of downwind rides where I was up on the foil 30 + seconds which for me seemed like an eternity.  Best part was that initially the foil controlled me, but after a while I was controlling the foil.

Thanks to all Zoners for advice, suggestions, input etc.  Can't tell you how stoked I am that I figured this out.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Up and riding the foil..woo hoo!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 05:43:04 PM »
Congratulations on your success!!! I remember my first rides on the Wing Foil and they were a lot of fun.

At some point you will enjoy a larger Wing. I started with a 4 and most of the time could not go anywhere because there was not enough wind. With the 6 Wing I am going in wind that would require a 9.5 sail or larger for regular windsurfing.

Light wind if you have the right size wing is easier. It is not as gusty and the water is flatter.

If you have a 4 in light wind it gets frustrating as even heading up wind with the board on the water becomes difficult, especially depending on which wing you have.

It keeps getting better so continue onward...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 06:28:00 PM »
Great news man. I’ve not been able to line up a boat tow yet so any foil success story keeps my head from saying that I can’t do this.

I love that FL is becoming a wing ding paradise too. I love the South. If I figure this sport out I can come home and still get water time.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 07:39:32 PM »
Surf cowboy definitely try foiling behind a boat or jet ski. It will teach you the basics and you will learn the “ feel” of riding on the foil.  I think my learning time would be a lot longer had I not tried behind the jet ski.  It was so foreign to me, but now growing more familiar with each ride.   Don’t give up or think you can’t do it...just be patient until it all clicks
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 07:45:10 PM »
SupKailua, I can’t imagine windsurfing with a 9.5 Sail, that sounds huge. But a 6m wing being equivalent doesn’t sound that big and good to know it will work in light winds. I have windsurfed for years and never had sails bigger than 6.6, but foiling on flat water is so inviting , so a big wing may be in order once  I get the smaller wings and foil wired.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 07:54:22 PM »
Caribsurf, the 6 Wing is probably the largest you will need or want, and it does not feel so big. It is still light and easy to handle and floats with no weight at all by your side if you are on a swell. I use the Swing 6 with a harness line so going up wind I can control the wing with just one finger to keep it from hitting the water, that is all that is needed.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 01:22:07 AM »
Hi Carib,

Stoked for you!  What a great feeling. 

With the right gear this takes a lot less wind than (planing) winsdurfing.  It may be the best sport for really low wind. 

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 07:07:09 AM »
Went out yesterday in Crazy choppy conditions 22 mph with blasting gusts over 30 +. I had the 4m Duotone and could have used a smaller wing although it is so much easier to deflect and lesson the wind with a wing than a windsurfing Sail.  Despite moments of shear terror, I had a blast and was up on the foil countless times , sometimes in control others not so much.   Had a few very long rides on the foil and slowly learning to turn to either side which is good when there is a large channel marker in the way.  My fun will increase once I get a new foil with shorter mast. I ran aground a number of times, once at speed and went head over heels..not fun. The Fanatic Aero 2000 seems to be a great foil, but too long of a mast and not available in anything shorter . I am looking at the Axis    Regardless having a blast!
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 08:08:05 AM »
Went out yesterday in Crazy choppy conditions 22 mph with blasting gusts over 30 +. I had the 4m Duotone and could have used a smaller wing although it is so much easier to deflect and lesson the wind with a wing than a windsurfing Sail.  Despite moments of shear terror, I had a blast and was up on the foil countless times , sometimes in control others not so much.   Had a few very long rides on the foil and slowly learning to turn to either side which is good when there is a large channel marker in the way.  My fun will increase once I get a new foil with shorter mast. I ran aground a number of times, once at speed and went head over heels..not fun. The Fanatic Aero 2000 seems to be a great foil, but too long of a mast and not available in anything shorter . I am looking at the Axis    Regardless having a blast!

What length is your mast?  75cm is ideal all around length. Just stay with that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 08:15:16 AM »
You'll likely be disappointed with the effect of having a shorter mast. It's really only useful getting out when the run out to deeper water is long. Once you're comfortable on the foil it's fairly easy to stay at the height you want--as long as your mast is long enough. If it's too short you'll over foil frequently and crash. I think 60CM (about 24") is the minimum for easy riding, and 75 (29") is best. If there's a lot of decent-sized wind swell a 90CM (35") is of great benefit.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 08:50:00 AM »
Dwight and Pono my Fanatic Aero mast is  75 cm long.  The place where I am foiling is on Indian River (Wabasso Clam Beach) and I have to walk about 100 yards out sometimes more to get to above waist deep water..even then when I get on the board I feel the foil bump the sand.  I schlog out a bit further and then I can get foiling.  Yesterday the problem was I would be foiling fine, even in the shallow water, but as soon as I came down..Bam!  afraid I'll tear the mast off the board.

I do like the height of the mast when aloft and on foil as it allows a lot of time for correction and I can see where a shorter mast would lead to more crashes. 

I imagine when I know what I am doing I can launch in the ocean. 
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 09:27:11 AM »
Carib,

I have two 24 inch masts from Axis that have never been used if you need one.  50 bucks with the plate adapter will be fine.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 09:47:07 AM »
Alan Cadiz has a super short (cut down) GoFoil setup for teaching new wing foilers. It looks to be about 12" long. the idea is that people get freaked when they pop way up out of the water. The short mast lets them get the feeling of foiling without the worry. I watched one of the instructors teaching a lady on the rig. She did indeed get up but looked like a porpoise: Boing, boing, boing across the water. At least over foiling from that height isn't really a crash, just a sudden return to the surface. So maybe super short would help.

When I went from a 24" GoFoil mast to the 29" I discovered I couldn't go back to the 24". The occasional over foiling of the 24" that was eliminated by going to 29" turned into constant over foiling once I got used to the 29" and tried to switch back to avoid the rocks at Thousand Peaks. I can handle a short mast now, but it takes concentration, I tried my 60 CM a few weeks ago with my new Flying Dutchman board, and it was hard work staying low enough.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 10:22:35 AM »
Why not ride Wabasso Causeway? It would be deep.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 12:36:00 PM »
Why not ride Wabasso Causeway? It would be deep.

I was thinking that too Dwight, but windsurfer friends said it's not so good and has a big current so no-one sails there.  Quite a bit of car and boat traffic too.   

Clam Beach is so quiet and easy in and out  The S/SE and N/NE winds seem to be perfect for Clam Beach.  As long as I stay out far enough or buy a shorter mast, I'll be all right.  Have to get proficient enough so I can wing it at Kelly Park with you experts... ;D
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal