Author Topic: Inexpensive wing foiling options  (Read 1546 times)

biggins

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Inexpensive wing foiling options
« on: February 12, 2020, 07:43:35 PM »
I was talking to a German guy here about wingdinging and he said that although it looked amazing it was just too expensive. It got me thinking...he’s right!

What options are there for a young lad or lassie to get into the sport affordably?

I’m thinking gong...but even that gets kinda spendy and no shipping of boards internationally...they wouldn’t even answer my email!

Maybe retrofit a surfboard/sup , buy a gong foil and diy a wing?

What are the options?

J

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Inexpensive wing foiling options
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 07:51:39 PM »
I am starting to see some used Wings being sold. I also see used foils and boards being sold. Not sure where you are located but here on Craigslist I see used equipment. He can setup a search to get notified for anything with the word foil in it.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 08:22:48 PM »
I think you will find a lot of used beginner gear as foilers progress and switch to more performance gear...that or people who jumped on the band wagon and then gave up for one reason or another. ...be patient it will come. 

Same thing happened with SUPs..
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

MLB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 08:34:52 PM »
Yep, I pre-ordered a SlingWing from SlingShot after getting excited about the videos being posted and loving SUP. 
Started researching the wind in my area (northern Indiana) and basically, we get very very little wind.
Highest wind speeds May-Aug is 12mph, and that's gusts and then it lulls for 20 seconds or so. 
And I'm 210lbs.
So I had a little fun on my huge SUP barely moving, and now I'm gonna sell it and get a wind surfing setup with a BIG ASS sail!   ;)
Maybe in a season or 2 Ill be back for a 5.0 or 6.0 wing in the new lightweight fabric!    ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal