Author Topic: Slingshot infinity setup for sup foil / wing foil?  (Read 4017 times)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Slingshot infinity setup for sup foil / wing foil?
« on: February 10, 2020, 12:15:12 PM »
Hi All,

I've been using a Slingshot Infinity 76 front wing and 42 cm rear wing for windsurf foiling, and I'm interested in getting more into SUP surf foiling / downwind foiling / wing foiling.

I was wondering if anybody has had success using the Slingshot Infinity foil system for those non-windsurf kinds of foiling, and what front wings, back wings, masts, etc. they're using.

It would be nice if I could just change the little back wing or something and be good to go, but I have a feeling I might need a different front wing, as well. I'm 75 kg and I live in an area with light wind and small waves. Also not sure if any of the slingshot boards work as crossover for sup foiling and windsurfing foiling. Right now the board I'm using is a formula windsurf board that I think is too wide and clunky for any foil application other than windsurfing. I'd like a board that still works for windfoiling but could also be used for sup foil or wingfoil. 

Thanks,
James
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Slingshot infinity setup for sup foil / wing foil?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 01:04:24 PM »
Hi James,

I use the Infinity 84 front wing with the 42 cm back wing for Wing foiling and I think it works great. It is fantastic on small swells, and nice for staying up during the jibe as it is very stable with a long glide.

The only thing the 84 can't do is race down from the top of head high swells. You can catch the swell from out front at the bottom and it works, but coming in from the top generates too much speed for the big wing. Your 76 should have a higher top speed so it might work in that situation.

I changed to a SUP board for Wing Foiling. Lining them up I noticed the foil location is a lot different for SUP foil boards vs. Wind Foiling boards. I assume this has to do with Mast Foot Pressure. I have used both the Slingshot Outwit and Slingshot Airstrike board, which is believe is discontinued. The Airstrike a lot more stable and at first the more stable the board is the easier it will be to learn without falling off as much.

In terms of early lift off it is really hard to tell. If I have enough wind in the wing both boards lift of easily. If there is not enough wind I can't lift off. I am not able to tell the difference even though the Outwit has all the features that new SUP boards have.

GL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 05:20:36 PM »
I have a Takuma BX 7' 10" foil SUP that I use with Slingshot foils.For wing foiling I primarily use the Infinity 99. Prior to using the 99 I used the 84. Both work fine for me but for wing foiling I prefer the 99. I use the larger stabilizer and longer fuselage as I prefer the extra stability. I also windfoil with the same wings and both work well, for the lightest winds I prefer the 99.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 05:30:16 PM »
That's what I learned on, great for smaller waves.  Moving the fuse to the position where the mast is a couple inches behind the wing.  At size or trying to carve tight turns the wide flat 76 wing is hard to keep the tips in the water, 30" mast helps but creates trade-offs.  The timecode 68 wing is much smaller more performance shaped, for me at some point I outgrew the design and wanted more speed/control.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal