Author Topic: Tips on upwind transitions?  (Read 8568 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on upwind transitions?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2020, 03:59:49 AM »
Have any of you tried the tack at 0:43 ?  Switch hands before/right at initiation of the board turn.  That looks really slick.

https://youtu.be/yTwQrkO8WaE?t=41

So I gave this a try, at least I think I did. This is a geekish video frame-grab look back. Slide 3 looks like I have both hands at the front of the boom before really started to carve upwind.  I did this slower overhead swing with both hands on the front of the boom (slide 3/4), and didn’t re-release (to regrab for sheeting in on the other direction) till I was through the eye of the wind. Felt kinda cool. Thanks for the tip :)

With a mega glide wing I dream about, I could extend it out even more!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:07:58 AM by obxDave »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2020, 01:58:19 PM »
FLkiter came up from Miami to ride with us today.

His tacks are so sick and look super easy. His way, is going to be my way, from here on out. I made one attempt after watching him and got hit in the head by the board. Thank goodness I wear a helmet. Jacky said my attempt looked good, until it didn’t.

The hand exchange is primary focus. Getting it done early. Board just follows automatic. He had a few subtle tips, that are hard to explain in writing.

His 360’s look super easy too. I wish I had got those on video. He copied the Gong way, and it looks so simple once you see it done in person, and get the secret tips from him  ;D

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8e4JZpnyly/?igshid=1ufalwipqg749
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 02:12:13 PM by Dwight (DW) »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2020, 10:38:03 PM »
FLkiter came up from Miami to ride with us today.

His tacks are so sick and look super easy. His way, is going to be my way, from here on out. I made one attempt after watching him and got hit in the head by the board. Thank goodness I wear a helmet. Jacky said my attempt looked good, until it didn’t.

The hand exchange is primary focus. Getting it done early. Board just follows automatic. He had a few subtle tips, that are hard to explain in writing.

His 360’s look super easy too. I wish I had got those on video. He copied the Gong way, and it looks so simple once you see it done in person, and get the secret tips from him
Nice, and envious of those FL winter conditions,...and youngsters who learn quickly! Really looking forward to winging in shorties......Harder to make progress around our colder conditions up here. Between the cold and old age it’s like I get maybe 2 hours before I have come in for a nap! Still determined to work on 360’s and heel to toeside tacks. What I lack in skill, I make up for in fumbling perseverance  :o
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:44:09 PM by obxDave »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 06:42:10 AM »
I'll try to get video shot this week with instructional on the tack. The basics are send the wing first. To do this with the F1 push your back hand away and the wing will turn and want to fly over your head. As it goes over your head watch it and your body will follow. Then you can pull in to switch hands which will give you some pull to ride away with. Pumping the board will help if you start to stall. Go into the trick not too fast, speed isn't too important but having the board level will allow the foil to pivot into the new direction and the foil being flat will keep you on foil. If you're going really fast, it's harder to change that momentum to a new direction. Don't throw the wing too fast ether, it'll swing over and then want to pull you down wind and stall you, pulling you off the board. If you kite foil, it's the same concept, let the wing glide over producing lift.
Coming out of the turn, pulling the rear hand to your rear hip will also stabilize and push you forward. Let me know if you have any questions and thank you OBXDave for the vids you posted, it helped me start going for it.

For the 360, watch the gong video how to. When you stall the wing by touching water with the tip, just keep looking in the direction you want to go past the wing. It might feel like you're never going to pass but, you will eventually. Don't look at the wing and once you get past the wing it'll catch wind and pull you around.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 03:51:54 PM »
For the 360, watch the gong video how to. When you stall the wing by touching water with the tip, just keep looking in the direction you want to go past the wing. It might feel like you're never going to pass but, you will eventually. Don't look at the wing and once you get past the wing it'll catch wind and pull you around.
Cool. I’ve watched the Patrice video a few times. Now all I need are some workable conditions to practice in.  Out today in 24-34 mph with my (smallest) 4m wing getting my butt whoooped.  Might have to break down and pick up a 3m....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal