Author Topic: Levitaz Shaka foils and preparing for 2020 Wingfoil test  (Read 2897 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Levitaz Shaka foils and preparing for 2020 Wingfoil test
« on: February 02, 2020, 11:31:30 AM »
https://youtu.be/qp4r7nOdRhs

My plan is to test all the best foils on the market this year to see how they perform for wing foiling in different conditions.  I heard great things about Levitaz from a kite foiler friend so I contacted them to see if they would send me a demo foil.  They sent me a complete set of their Shaka foils and masts to test out and I'm super excited to give them a try.  The design, fit and finish on these "Made in Austria" foils is superb.  The stainless steel fuselage is super solid and streamlined.   The relatively low aspect wings look like they will be easy and fun to use and work well in the surf.  This is the equipment I got in the demo kit:
Shaka wings: M front wing (1500 cm2), L front wing (2000 cm2), rear wing (300 cm2)
two stainless steel fuselages: 55 cm and 60 cm
Carbon masts with plate mounts in 60, 70, 80 and 96 cm
Angle shims for rear wings (+- .6 degrees)
Angle shims for plate mount to board connection

This is a beautiful foil kit, thank you Levitaz!  I have not tried the foils on the water yet but will get out soon and post some video of the gear in action shortly.
For more information on Levitaz Shaka foils:
https://levitaz.com/shop/product/shak...

I'm also showing some other new gear that will be featured in upcoming videos on the Blue Planet Surf YouTube channel, including the Maui Fin Company Hydros foils, Armstrong foils, Blue Planet Carver foils and more.  I'm also planning to test and post more videos on different hand kite wings, including Duotone wings, Ozone Wasp wings, Ulman Sails wings, F-one swing wings and others.
If you want me to test specific gear, please let me know and I will try to get my hands on it to include it in my 2020 video tests as well.    Wing foiling is such a new sport and the equipment is evolving quickly to meet the unique demands of flying over the water with a sail in your hands.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Levitaz Shaka foils and preparing for 2020 Wingfoil test
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 12:04:00 PM »
Don’t call them hand kites.

Kiting is banned on too many beaches.

We do not want to be associated with kiters. Politicians are lazy. It would be too easy for the name to stick, and we get banned everywhere kites are banned.

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 01:14:42 PM »
Thanks Robert for testing.

If possible I would like to see how the Slingshot Infinity 84 with the larger back wing stacks up against all the other foils you mentioned.

Not sure if you plan to tow behind a wave runner or not but I found that type of testing to be really valuable before I purchased my Infinity 84.

It was the range from a low take off speed to stability at a surprisingly fast speed for that large of foil that sold me.

With a wave runner on flat water you can really accurately measure the lift off speed and a potential top speed where the foil is still in control.

Using the wave runner eliminates the constantly changing wind as a variable in your testing.

If you need a good flat water, no wind place to test on island let me know. We used this spot when teaching my 10 year old son how to foil and there is a wind shadow and flat water almost all the time.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 02:02:20 PM »
Don’t call them hand kites.

Kiting is banned on too many beaches.

We do not want to be associated with kiters. Politicians are lazy. It would be too easy for the name to stick, and we get banned everywhere kites are banned.
Ok, got it, I did not realize this was an issue.
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 02:04:47 PM »
Thanks Robert for testing.

If possible I would like to see how the Slingshot Infinity 84 with the larger back wing stacks up against all the other foils you mentioned.

Not sure if you plan to tow behind a wave runner or not but I found that type of testing to be really valuable before I purchased my Infinity 84.

It was the range from a low take off speed to stability at a surprisingly fast speed for that large of foil that sold me.

With a wave runner on flat water you can really accurately measure the lift off speed and a potential top speed where the foil is still in control.

Using the wave runner eliminates the constantly changing wind as a variable in your testing.

If you need a good flat water, no wind place to test on island let me know. We used this spot when teaching my 10 year old son how to foil and there is a wind shadow and flat water almost all the time.
Thanks for the input, I really like the idea of testing behind the ski to find take-off and top speeds. I think you know which spot you are referring to.
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 07:42:23 PM »
That take off speed test is a great idea.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 12:46:50 PM »
nice foil Robert and looking forward to your feedback on these gears as always  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal