Author Topic: Was followed by seal today  (Read 1969 times)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Was followed by seal today
« on: February 01, 2020, 08:14:23 PM »
 I finally found some time to paddle near the new place, first time after the move. It was a very calm day no wind or any waves, and for about mile, I was followed by a seal.  Is this common? He/she kept the distance about 10-15 yards, checked me multiple times before taking off. it was pretty strange, I've seen them before while paddling and I've seen them closer but I've never been followed. Are they territorial? I was paddling mostly along the shoreline, just scouting spots for fishing in spring and wonder if I "trespassed". Hope it was accidental as I want to go fishing in the area..

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

supthecreek

Re: Was followed by seal today
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 03:59:16 AM »
Seals are pretty curious, particularly the teenagers.
They follow us when surfing, and seem to enjoy hanging around with us.
When I paddle flatwater, in bays and rivers, there is only an occasional seal, so they tend to follow me, possibly cuz they are lonely and just want something to do.

I never worry about seals and have never seen any aggressive behavior from them.
They seem to be pretty happy and curious.

There are over 60,000 seals along our coast and I have never heard of any bad behavior.

Supshaper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 06:27:41 AM »
I find this very common.  Once built a sky blue board that seemed to attract seals.  Very often wherever I surfed they would show up, and follow behind me occasionally tugging on my leash.  Never have had any problems with aggressive seals.
"Surfboards are in an infinite and endless evolution.  Just when the shaper thinks he has built the perfect board, he thinks of something different to make it better."  GL

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 08:07:09 AM »
Cool, thank you guys.  Feel better now :)

This encounter causes me searching some basic facts about seals As I wonder what they eat when fish is not around during wintertime

Food Preferences & Resources
Adult harbor seals eat squid, crustaceans, mollusks, and a variety of fish; including, rockfish, herring, flounder, salmon, hake, and sand lance.
A harbor seal's diet varies seasonally and regionally and often is subject to local prey availability.

Food Intake
Adult harbor seals eat 5-6% of their body weight per day, about 4.5-8.2 kg (10-18 lb.).

Feeding Habits
Harbor seals don't chew their food. They swallow their food whole or tear it into chunks. With their back molars, they crush shells and crustaceans.

Foraging
In dark or low light conditions, a harbor seal uses its sensitive vibrissae to find food.

Water Intake
Harbor seals generally obtain the water they need from their food. If food intake is decreased, the metabolic breakdown of fat produces water. The metabolism of 0.45 kg (1 lb.) of fat produces 0.64 kg (1.4 lb.) of water. 

Sleeping:
When seals sleep in water, they sleep in a position known as bottling. ... Some species of seals sleep completely submerged but remain close to the surface of the water. To avoid drowning, they can open or close their nostrils to prevent water from entering.

Life span:
over 30 years
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 08:39:52 AM »
The ONLY thing I'd be worried about when seals are around, are the predators that hunt them!
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 09:31:40 AM »
Oceanaddict,

I have very few natural talents but I can say without any doubt I'M A SEAL MAGNET!
I don't know why maybe I'm the same size and shape or I smell like one I don't know.
Just this passed Sunday 2 were laying out on a jetty 50+ yrds away I wasn't in the water 10 minutes and they came over to me (there were a dozen other guys in the lineup) way less than 10yrds (more like 2 to 5 yrds) Swimming around checking me out Then barking at me!
They didn't hurt me but when I would stand up and paddle for a wave they would catch it After the wave I would paddle out and they'd be gone for 5+ min. then they'd show up do the whole check me out, barking routine, catch the wave with me. Did not act aggressive to me But after the 3rd time the Proners asked me to leave They were concerned about the seals swimming around.

That is how it works with me for some reason

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal