Author Topic: Breath holding in surf  (Read 1951 times)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Breath holding in surf
« on: January 31, 2020, 08:19:23 AM »
It has been talked about on here before.  Surfline just had this article so I figured i would share it.

https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/ocean-warrior-course-works/76706

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Breath holding in surf
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 08:03:59 PM »
I guess there's always something to learn. Specially if you want to take it up a notch. That level of wave height will never be on my list. Breath holding is not something I think that much about because it's almost instinctive for me. I grew up in the surf. Taught my kids how to sit right in the impact zone and just relax, which seems to be the just of the article. A lot of years of body whomping in OH surf and navigating rip currents with no board, and surfing without a leash teaches you all kinds of exit strategies. When I swim laps I often use a pull buoy and just swim with my arms. It's amazing how effortless it is when you are not using your legs.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 10:22:34 PM »
Basic breath-holding techniques are worthwhile if only because they teach you to breathe. Most of us don't do that very well. I was being treated for asthma before I started breath training, and six months later my doctor pronounced me cured. Officially, there is no cure for asthma. So I got that going for me.

Being able to hold your breath for two minutes sitting on the couch is not the same as holding your breath for 30 seconds while you get pinned to the bottom, but the couch practice makes the pinned experience easier to deal with.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 03:26:29 AM »
Did a half a day training course a few years ago with guys that train most surfers in Nazaré (Wave Crushers - Training System) and it was simply amazing how much I improved my breath-holding techniques. Most of the exercices were dynamic and to push you even further, and it's amazing how much anyone can hold their breathe changing only a couple of things and how much of it it's simply mental.
Recommend anyone that goes in the water to do something like, even if you don't surf anything above overhead waves.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 10:58:29 AM »
and were all at risk of copd -- nothing wrong with breath work.....
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal