Author Topic: heel dents  (Read 4606 times)

bracicot

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
heel dents
« on: October 05, 2007, 03:50:48 PM »
Hello all.  Well my board is done, and I've paddled and sailed it around for about 2 hours now in a local lake, getting used to it.  Everything seems pretty good so far, but I did notice slight heel dents already.
The board is Home Depot foam, with 2 layers of 5.6oz cloth on the bottom (with a patch on the last 2 or 3 feet).  The deck is 3 layers of the same cloth, with a patch about 4 feet long where you stand.  My question is:  should I be concerned about the overall strength of the board, and maybe do another layer top and bottom, or are heel dents a normal occurence?  I do plan on using it as a light wind sailboard in the surf as well.  I've been trying to get some padding on the deck, but I just can't seem to get myself to spend what it would take to get one of the good deck pads, from Jimmy Lewis, et al.  I've checked into yoga mats, and searched extensively online for bulk EVA with not much success.  I know that would help the denting problem, but I worry about the robustness of the layup, overall.

thanks, bruce

boots

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: heel dents
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 04:03:58 PM »
Lets see some pics!

Does the board feel soft when you grab it? Check out hydroturf deck padding. They have "grade B" sheets of foam for $25.

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 07:41:12 PM »
due to the nature of the foam, it will most likely dent under where you do the majority of your standing. a pad under the feets will help. The layup sounds rock solid. remember that epoxy strengthens over time, with heat and the such. so the easier you are on it in the beginning the mo betta

bracicot

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 09:17:19 PM »
Thanks for the input! Hey Boots, no the board feels super hard just grabbing it, and even standing on it.
I was surprised to see the indentations when I was done.  Thanks for the clue in on the hydroturf.  It's funny; I saw that site a while back, but I guess I didn't scroll down far enough to see the overstock stuff.  I'm definitely ordering some, that price is reasonable. 
Yeah Allan, I'm going to just let the board cook in my workshop until the deck pad gets here, I just couldn't help myself :-)  I laminated it over a week ago, so by the time the pad gets here that will make about a month after lamination sitting in my 90 degree shed every day.
I'll post some pics when I get the photobucket thing going.

thanks again, bruce 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal