Author Topic: Which SUP?  (Read 9576 times)

Boomstick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Which SUP?
« on: January 25, 2020, 05:41:07 PM »
So this year I'm buying personal watercraft for myself and my two boys, kayaks for myself and my youngest son and my oldest wants to go the route of a SUP. I know exactly what I am going to buy as far as kayaks and how I'm going to rig them out. I largely know how we're going to rig out a paddleboard as well, whether we go the hybrid route with YakAttack rails or the more traditional SUP route with leash plugs, but I'm not sure which SUP to buy. Since our primary use is fishing, the hybrids seem like an option.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the following models.

Option #1: The Ocean Kayak Nalu 12.5. It's probably the cheapest of the lot, but I have heard from some people that the max. weight should be around 190lbs. My oldest son who will be using it is roughly 165lbs, but likely won't be getting any lighter and I have read that the max weight on this board should be around 190lbs as it starts to sink quickly from some user reviews, but others have said it was fine and they weigh more, so I was wondering if anyone could confirm.

Option #2: The Crescent SUP+. These are fairly new and I only found a handful of reviews. They are supposed to track well in flatwater (which will be its primary use) due ot the skeg in the design and the price is definitely right and it comes with some rails already installed.

Option #3: The Vibe Maverick 120. These also come with rails and a 450lb weight capacity. I'm fairly sure this is a safe bet, many people seem to consider them the Cadillac option for fishing SUPs. Would go with the hero seat to sit higher, but may use the cooler setup as well half of the time (especially on hotter days he can store water for the group!)

Option #4: The Kaku Kahuna. I hear these are pretty stable too, but also it was from someone who weighs like 100lbs too. The price is right and they have front rails.

Option #5: The Kaku Voodoo. The skiff option. I hear these are a fishing machine, but are best rowed sitting.

Option #6: SIC Tao Big Fish 12'. Not a hybrid, but these things should be stable and have a ton of leash plugs so we can easily rig it up. This is the one that Bri Andrassy uses and she was able to set it up quite nicely.

Thanks in advance. Any help is useful.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which SUP?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 04:31:48 AM »
I'm not a fisherman - but I'm not one of the "mostly surfers" on here either - I'd either get the SIC, with a real swappable rudder - or if you are in shallows much, get the SUP+ , that looks like sit on top kayak for fishing and the "rudder" might be big enough to allow you to paddle straight-ish. If you plan on sitting and "kayak"-ing to paddle then... eh I dunno.... If the kids want to really "paddleboard", and maybe surf sometimes with friends, only the SIC comes close, in my opinion - but again I'm not a surfer :D I'm an inland lake and streams paddler. All those plastic boats weigh a ton - but they are tough and sometimes that's what you need. I hope the boys have fun.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 04:34:21 AM by deepmud »

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 09:31:28 AM »
We get this question alot at our shop.
First those big heavy fishing SUP's are not as fast as sit down Kayaks
as far as the best fishing one (IMHO)
BOTE (I don't sell them) seem to have a bunch of options
The Starboard Expedition or Fisherman we have sold a bunch and the users seem very happy with the price and performance.

Personally I use either a Starboard Avanti or the Fanatic Fly 11'2 but I'm a minimalist a couple topwater plugs, a couple Jigs and some Slugo's and a pair of needle nose pliers.
NOTHING BETTER than fishing from a SUP!!!

Let me know if I can be any further help.
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Boomstick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 12:18:18 PM »
I'm not a fisherman - but I'm not one of the "mostly surfers" on here either - I'd either get the SIC, with a real swappable rudder - or if you are in shallows much, get the SUP+ , that looks like sit on top kayak for fishing and the "rudder" might be big enough to allow you to paddle straight-ish. If you plan on sitting and "kayak"-ing to paddle then... eh I dunno.... If the kids want to really "paddleboard", and maybe surf sometimes with friends, only the SIC comes close, in my opinion - but again I'm not a surfer :D I'm an inland lake and streams paddler. All those plastic boats weigh a ton - but they are tough and sometimes that's what you need. I hope the boys have fun.

Yeah, we primarily bass fish so we spent a lot of time along weedy shorelines of lakes throwing into weeds. If you ask him, he would tell you he won't sit, but I promise you once we get out there for a bit he's going to appreciate a seat. Thanks

Boomstick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 12:36:27 PM »
We get this question alot at our shop.
First those big heavy fishing SUP's are not as fast as sit down Kayaks
as far as the best fishing one (IMHO)
BOTE (I don't sell them) seem to have a bunch of options
The Starboard Expedition or Fisherman we have sold a bunch and the users seem very happy with the price and performance.

Personally I use either a Starboard Avanti or the Fanatic Fly 11'2 but I'm a minimalist a couple topwater plugs, a couple Jigs and some Slugo's and a pair of needle nose pliers.
NOTHING BETTER than fishing from a SUP!!!

Let me know if I can be any further help.
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

I would definitely like something we can at least rig up a milk crate and some rod holders attached to it and an ice chest at the very least. The Bote Flood definitely looks promising and I should be able to rig that out. I'm buying a Bonafide SS127 myself (for stability) so he might be able to keep up, but stability is more of a concern to be honest, and if it keeps dry then that gives us a longer season

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 05:12:25 PM »
maybe the kids need to just stand up in a kayak :D the hull length helps a bit - I see this one:
https://www.crescentkayaks.com/product/litetackle-fishing-kayak/
is 13' and mentions "stand up paddling" - since some of the sups are going "canoe" style maybe this is actually a sup!  35" wide is plenty and I can't tell but perhaps the flat bottom of the kayak is lower than the flat sups (except the Bote I think) - lower is more stable - just stick a cooler behind their feet and they can sit or stand.
You might have to spend some money to get a decent SUP paddle too btw - the less expensive ones 1/4 or 1/8 as good for 1/2 the price.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 03:39:19 AM »
 Up late working  - while on hold, found this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/312951422490

Those YOLO boards look like the same mold as the Sup+ . I don't know if $200 plus UPSGround works enough to live with bright yellow or red but thought I'd post it for you.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 12:07:21 PM »
Amundson 11'11x34,decent speed,super stable even casting. I put cooler just behind where I stood...sit down or stand up.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 12:08:55 PM »
I believe Overton's sales them under another name made by Amundson for them. Usually find good sale there.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 07:32:49 PM »
I have a BKC (Brooklyn Kayak Company) SUP, which is a hybrid. I got it for $447 delivered, including the seat (Hero clone) and a heavy paddle. The deck is the same as a Maverick 120. The hull is not; it has a single somewhat wide keel in the center and it is a little thinner. They say it is hollow but it seemed really firm and quiet. I thought it was because I am not heavy. I decided to drop in a hatch and stuff in some pool noodles. Surprise - it is foam filled. Only had it out a few times, but I really like it. The rails are not crazy thick and it can be rolled much easier than a Maverick, but that also means it feels more like a SUP than a barge.

EDIT - also comes with 2 Scotty mounts with rocket launchers. All the factory supplied stuff - handles (4), D rings (12), rails (5) and the Scotty mounts are screwed into brass inserts. Molded recesses for all that hardware also. I did catch a 25% off code (BKC25) that might be over.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 07:46:08 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 07:37:17 PM »
Up late working  - while on hold, found this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/312951422490

Those YOLO boards look like the same mold as the Sup+ . I don't know if $200 plus UPSGround works enough to live with bright yellow or red but thought I'd post it for you.
I don't think it is all that close to the Crescent SUP+. Crescent is a small US company that claims to have exclusive designs. On their site, the founder/designer talks about them in videos. They have cathedral hulls and are flatter in both dimensions than that YOLO. Also that listing says local pickup only.

EDIT - Looks like Yolo does sell the SUP+, but it is the Crescent with Crescent's name and logo on it and it is very different than those boards.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 07:51:53 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 04:09:10 AM »
Yeah, we primarily bass fish so we spent a lot of time along weedy shorelines of lakes throwing into weeds. If you ask him, he would tell you he won't sit, but I promise you once we get out there for a bit he's going to appreciate a seat. Thanks
I would definitely like something we can at least rig up a milk crate and some rod holders attached to it and an ice chest at the very least. The Bote Flood definitely looks promising and I should be able to rig that out. I'm buying a Bonafide SS127 myself (for stability) so he might be able to keep up, but stability is more of a concern to be honest, and if it keeps dry then that gives us a longer season
Yep, he's going to appreciate the seat and wanting one that sits a little higher is the right route. Strapping a cooler down for the seat is great or get a milk crate and make a plywood top. I just cut to size, round the corners, sand a bit, spraycan poly, and drilled some holes in the plywood and use a chunk of rope for the "hinges" and that makes a great seat. Perfect height (as a cooler is) for fishing off a SUP. Forget about the kayak like paddles on the SUP as well 'cuz sitting on a cooler or crate and using your paddle like a canoe paddle is perfect and you can even do that with your bum on the deck as well.
As someone said, make sure and get a decent paddle for this setup for sure.
I might be wrong but with a crate or cooler for the seat I would bet that a hybrid seat never, ever gets used. There's plenty of aftermarket tie down options so if what you get doesn't have them where you need/want them you can put some on. NSI has the best ones I think.
I got quite a few boards and have even done the crate deal on my inflatables. I like the Crescent of the bunch you picked out tho all those will work. In the end I think you'll find the SIC option too slow. I got the Agent 11'11" and it is plenty stable for early/late season (190ish here) but slower than I like. My Hooked SUP is faster than it and it is wider. The Amundson Hana threw up is another great option.
I have heard the BOTEs are fragile but I don't have any experience. They do look sweet and I really considered one of their's more than a few times.
If you want to consider a Cadillac the Jimmy Lewis Searcher would fit your needs amazingly well.
Have fun and let everyone know later this year what you've discovered.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 12:48:24 PM »
I do like having the seat with a back when I am spending all day on the board. I did bring mine up a little higher with a riser (pictured). I have been carrying both paddle types as seated with a kayak paddle I can go substantially faster, probably 50% faster. Part of that is the constant correction for the not great keel in back.

Most of the BOTE boards I have seen are pretty solid. The Gatorshell upgrade, available on all their fishing boards, is particularly tough
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 04:50:15 PM »
nice rig rtg

any fish stories yet?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 05:45:05 PM »
nice rig rtg

any fish stories yet?
Depends. Do they have to be true?  ;D

Been inshore; trout and reds but nothing all that large yet. Doing my first test run on Monday on a rig that makes it a bit less SUP like.  Everything sits on the board with 3 T bolts into rails. On or off in about a minute. From bare board to loaded with seat, gear and motor in under 5 minutes. It will get some bare board use also.

2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal