Author Topic: SUP Sports  (Read 11139 times)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP Sports
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 05:40:18 PM »
Bummer to see Wardog go.....I'm sure Admin isnt too upset with his 20 picture responses  ;D ;D

He was a great poster and provider of advice to experienced guys and newbies alike.  Alas. SUP has certainly thinned, especially sup surfing.  and those with the right conditions have now moved to foiling.

Bummer- I had hoped to one day get to CA to visit his shop.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 08:15:02 PM »
Info sent. I know E-Tech was glassing at the end and they have a CNC now. (Note for all you LA area guys who want blanks cut.)

I’ll see about grabbing the info for the Ventura guys but I love Ry’s eco-boards.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 09:13:37 PM »
Bummer to see Wardog go.....I'm sure Admin isnt too upset with his 20 picture responses  ;D ;D

He was a great poster and provider of advice to experienced guys and newbies alike.  Alas. SUP has certainly thinned, especially sup surfing.  and those with the right conditions have now moved to foiling.

Bummer- I had hoped to one day get to CA to visit his shop.

To say he was a self promoter and a thread stealer would be an understatement , but Wardog did offer much helpful information and plenty of photos to back it up.  Sorry to see an early SUP ambassador ride into the sunset
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 09:37:11 PM »
He didn’t die guys lol.

He’s out livin it up on the road with his wife! I’m stoked for anyone who retires.  :) ;D

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 09:55:05 PM »
Wardog turned me on to SUP before it had a name. We had known each other for years, as Wardog had been selling windsurfing gear out of his garage, and I had bought windsurf boards from him in the past. At the time most of the SoCal windsurfers I knew were into wave riding, and equipment that worked in waves with our typically light winds was always of interest. One day Warren called me to tell me about a revolutionary long board windsurfer that he was developing with Sean Ordonez. In addition to being a light air  windsurfing wave board it could also be paddled without the sail, he told me, as an afterthought! That's how I ordered one of the original "Big Red" SOS boards, from the first batch. I did wave sail the board a few times, and I have sailed other SUP boards, but that aspect of the sport seems not to have really caught on. However I have been paddling ever since!

No question that Wardog was there at the earliest stages of SUP on the mainland, and he did a lot to make it grow.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 04:33:37 AM »
Info sent. I know E-Tech was glassing at the end and they have a CNC now. (Note for all you LA area guys who want blanks cut.)

I’ll see about grabbing the info for the Ventura guys but I love Ry’s eco-boards.

Thank you for your time and effort in providing me the info I requested in the private message you sent me. The info is "much appreciated".
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 11:01:32 AM »
Even though my office is less than half a mile from SUPSports, I had to avoid going there too much because too much looking always led to buying.  I went down to see Wardog and Deb while they were packing up and ended up coming away with a great deal on one of his demo boards--and it basically ended up being free by the time he got done throwing in fins, a deckpad and a closet full of Tshirts and sweatshirts.

As he posted in his announcement.  He's doing well and excited to be freed up from the going concern of having a shop.  Retail is cutthroat everywhere and Santa Barbara doesn't make it easier with what one pays for space.  What's been posted here is correct, he'd be very happy to design a custom board.  I suspect his e-mail still works or you can probably get a hold of him through Ray Lucke down in Camarilo as he was doing most of his fabs. https://www.backninesurfboards.com/

I'm one of many people who got turned on to SUP thanks to him.  When I think about what paddling has become for me, can't really put into words how grateful I am.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 02:52:59 PM »
I'm really enjoying this topic thread.

Like I said before, I've got Warren's personal private phone number when he forgot to mask it when he called me one time with my custom order for my Hammer. Not the phone number at his former shop in Santa Barbara. All the other times when Warren called me, the ID on the telephone from him was, "Unknown Number".

I really don't what to call him using his private number. If I would purchase another custom One World, at least I've got two people who I can go through to get in touch with WarDog (Warren) by going through Earth Technologies and Backnine Surf Factory.

WarDog made two production made One World's in 11'1" length. Their specifications were:

11'1" x 30" x 5" @ 200 Liters, 3 fin Futures boxes, 1 vent plug.
11'1" x 32" x 5" @ 215 Liters, 3 fin Futures boxes, 1 vent plug.

Since Warren is retired now, I'd pay him up front to design another custom One World for me with these specifications which would be:

11'1" x 32" x (unknown thickness) @ 200 Liters with 5 Futures fin boxes, 2 vent plugs, 1 offset BP (Blue Planet) Sup Grip Handle, thinned out rails (60/40 if possible), 2 leash plugs, blonde bamboo deck top, but not on bottom; with Ballis Tech glass. Rails would be a nice fire engine red color.

Right now, I'm only kicking this around in my head
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:57:32 PM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 07:17:28 PM »
Back Nine was the other name I was looking for. Thanks man. They would also have those files and did those boards for way longer than e-tech.

markthomas

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 11:26:55 AM »
Thank you wardog for the sup stoke.  My first board purchase was from sup sports and I am forever grateful.  Still sup surf when there is no crowd. 

Mark

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2020, 04:36:43 AM »
Good for you Warren.
Enjoy.
You're a good dude.

I got a One World and paddle from him a few years back. It was one of his paddles.
It broke not long after and I sent him an email letting him know how it broke.
His Scooby Doo response made me laugh out loud when I read it and I had to admit that it sure sounded like my fault and it sure did not seem like an issue with the paddle.
No problem, no issue, shit happens...……end of story I thought.
3-4 months later in the middle of winter and out of nowhere a paddle blade shows up in the mail so I can fix the paddle. Still using it....

Never pulled the trigger on a custom Hammer. Still want one but when I was finally ready to do it I wanted a board the next week and not the next month so it didn't happen.
Looking back a few weeks later, I'm not particularly fond of the board I got and really wish I would have done it.
Still hold out hope I can get one...….we'll see.....
Have to post something in the sunset thread sometime with thoughts his way.....

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2020, 10:48:18 AM »
Wardog's boards were a gateway for my buddies to move towards more performance-oriented shapes.  I never met him in person, but spent an hour in his store a few+ years ago with a couple of his guys.  It was a cool space with a super cool vibe.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2020, 08:36:40 PM »
Any veterans here from the old Usenet News group rec.windsurfing?

"wreckdot" was an early internet bulletin board for windsurfing enthusiasts...it was an old-fashioned version of this "modern" forum version catering to Stand Up Paddle enthusiasts.  I recall Wardog's avid participation in that forum, and his promotion / ambassadorship of windsurfing, which of course we all loved. Manytimes I didn't agree with his positions on a variety of subjects, however, I did respect his unfettered approach to forum participation, and his dedication and passion for the sport of windsurfing.

His passion for windsurfing certainly carried over to his very early embrace of SUP. I regularly followed his SUPSports.com web blog to get the latest updates on developments of our new watersport. His stoke helped breed my own resurgence of enjoying surfing more than windsurfing - in the form of a SUP Surf Board and a paddle.

I wish the best for Wardog and his spouse...I trust they now will both get to spend a lot more time on the water, enjoying the fruits of their labor, helping others to get more stoke in their lives. THANKS Wardog, for the dedication of your livelihood to two of my own personal passions - Windsurfing and SUP Surfing! I hope to see you on the water sometime soon, when I myself can retire to a daily schedule of showing up at my favorite surf breaks instead of a workplace.

MAX 

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 08:44:53 PM by maxsonic »

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2020, 08:52:42 PM »
I swore by his board bags, but not his boards. I bought a performance short board and HATED it...worst board I ever owned..heavy,  corky and slow...sold it asap.
When I told him so, he blamed me and my surf ability which made me laugh.
That guy could not take nor accept criticism..
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2020, 06:07:51 AM »
I remember RECDOT windsurfing met alot of good friends there.
WARDOG was very active and opinionated there too.
This biz isn't easy (had our best year last year)but its still alot of fun.

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal