Author Topic: SUP Sports  (Read 11140 times)

RL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP Sports
« on: January 25, 2020, 05:24:35 PM »
What happened to SUP Sports? I bought my first board from Wardog and really enjoyed the whole experience back in 2009. Still stoked today.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:52:10 PM by RL »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP Sports
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 06:32:16 PM »
Looks like they quietly went the way of the dodo bird.   Click in the link and a Mahalo.
They are no more.  https://supsports.com/  Sad too.  I really liked the shop.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:35:12 PM by surf4food »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 06:44:58 PM »
Trying to dig but it seems any evidence of their existence is pretty much gone.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:58:20 PM by surf4food »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 06:53:42 PM »
Where ever they may be, I wish Wardog and Miss Wardog happy trails and a big Mahalo for all the years of stoke.

We are not getting any younger ;)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 07:35:38 PM »
The wayback machine website has content archived back to mid 2019.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 08:22:31 PM »
The wayback machine website has content archived back to mid 2019.

Do you have a link to the website?

I really like my custom One World and custom Hammer WarDog (Warren) designed for me.

Since I'm a stickler for details; no matter how small, when Warren called me on his personal cell phone concerning my Hammer, he forgot to mask his private phone number and I still have it.

I promised him at that time I would never call him on his personal private cell phone number since he doesn't give it out and I have kept my word to him.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 09:07:04 PM »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 01:47:02 AM »
Here u go.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180701170052/http://supsports.com/

Thanks for providing the link. I'll bookmark it for future reference.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 03:28:26 AM »
Here is the retirement announcement from Wardog posted early December 2019...

2020 Vision

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

Aloha...

After more than 20 years in the watersports industry, Deb and I have decided to retire from the day to day, nuts and bolts operations of our brick and mortar retail business at 121 Santa Barbara St., in the Funk Zone here in Santa Barbara, at the end of this year.

Going into 2020, we are very much L@@King forward to the freedom and flexibility to be more geographically independent...and, since WARDOG ® Designs utilizes digital technology and CAD software...etc...we will still be able to help facilitate making Made in USA custom SUP dreams come true for clients around the globe...along with custom fins, pads, paddles, bags, and other SUP and watersports accessories...etc...

While taking time to expand our universe with new and exciting challenges and opportunities...pursuing our love of travel and camping...hobbies of windsurfing, foiling, standup paddling, SUP surfing, horses, photography/video...etc...spending much more time paddling with our Chocolate Labs, Miranda Anne and Bella Luna...and, to fit in some more volunteerism...giving back and paying it forward...

It’s been a good long ride...many miles of smiles...heaps of grins and giggles...more fun than a chimpanzee in a banana cream pie factory...so, we would like to warmly thank the scores of great folks that have shown support for a "mom and pop" boutique small business SUP shop in the big box and cheapo online era...MAHALOS!

You all have been very good to us at our sun bleached, palm-lined, beach hut...and, it gives us a "warm fuzzy" to know that in return, we have helped make 1000's of our great customers Stoked For Life ®...
Pursuit of our passions...enjoying life and helping others enjoy healthy lifestyle watersports...including many multi-generational families, has definitely brought us great joy over the last several decades...mahalo nui loa for being part of our ohana...

As members on the younger end of the "OK, Boomer" generation spectrum...(who'd have thought?!?!...;-), we are entering this next phase of our lives with a passionate pursuit of “the road less traveled”...or perhaps, "the road not taken"...that inspired Robert Frost...and, many other intrepid travelers of this great water planet before us...because, you can't step twice on the same piece of water...trees do fall in the forest without anyone listening...

When we started SurfingSports in 1999...Carlos Santana had released the timeless "Smooth"...one of our all time favorite artists...just classic...we tried to see him in concert every year since college where Carlos chose Deb to keep the "evil spirits" off of his guitar in Redwood Bowl...true story...check out the concert DVD of that album, if interested in live music like we are...

The US Senate had acquitted Bill Clinton after his impeachment...Trump was a registered Independent, 2 years before registering as a Democrat...Columbine Tragedy happened...George W. Bush announced that he would be a presidential candidate in 2000...Y2K hype had everyone paranoid that the end of the world was near...the 3 day concert Woodstock 99 barely took place in New York 30 years after the original...apparently, missing a whole lot of the "love and peace" special sauce and mojo...;-)

Closer to home, we have been blessed to enjoy the life spans of many great dogs...Mole'...Mocha Fudge...Neslie...Anna Mae...Molly Claire...and, now Miranda Anne and Bella Luna...for perspective, we utilize our canine relationships to mark time...

Hard to believe that it's already been two years since Deb and I survived the Las Vegas Route 91 Harvest Festival mass shooting...(R.I.P. 59 angels)...then came the Thomas Fire and Montecito mudslide...and, now it's been over a year since we lost our water brothers Mike Colee and John Lawrence...my how time flies...

The Labor Day Conception dive boat fire out at Santa Cruz Island that killed 34 adventurous souls in their sleep (R.I.P.), while enjoying one of the most beautiful areas on the planet, was a further reminder that every day that you wake up is a blessing...more importantly, the biggest takeaway from this reality check experience, is that life is fragile...live every day like it's going to be your last...because, one day you'll be right...IOW, every day is a gift that comes with no assumption of another...the road doesn’t go on forever...

Gonzo journalist, Hunter S. Thompson, said it better than we ever could:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”

Come on in and check out the killer deals being made...our staff and ohana will definitely help put some stoke in your stroke!

PS. the store closed on 31st December by the looks of it.

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 05:15:26 AM »
A good run in a difficult business!
Congratulations on a graceful exit to a road lessor traveled..... enjoy the ride  :)

Back in early SUP days, I always appreciated Wardogs website....
it was one of the only places that had similar pictures of each brand and model,  so I could do head to head comparisons of different boards.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 07:37:50 AM »
hope wardog posts here as an ordinary mortal---because he's a hella human.......

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 08:14:18 AM »
Thank you PT for posting this, very much appreciate it! As one of the many customers who made the trip to the “sun bleached beach hut” in the very cool “funk zone” of Santa Barbara (actually a few times) the experience with Wardog, Deb, and their labs was always fun and memorable. In 2009 they were a Starboard dealer and I had identified the “Big Easy as a perfect first board because of the construction (I hate boards that ding easily) and at 6’6” felt the 12x32 dimensions would be perfect. So despite living in the SUP Mecca of Capistrano Beach we made the trek to Santa Barbara and it turned out to be a great decision. The boards were perfect for all types of padding and tough as nails, still have it today and SUP Sports was a one of a kind experience.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 08:33:13 AM »
After reading the retirement announcement, what caught my eye was this quote from WarDog in the letter which says:

Going into 2020, we are very much L@@King forward to the freedom and flexibility to be more geographically independent...and, since WARDOG ® Designs utilizes digital technology and CAD software...etc...we will still be able to help facilitate making Made in USA custom SUP dreams come true for clients around the globe...along with custom fins, pads, paddles, bags, and other SUP and watersports accessories...etc...

I wonder if this means WarDog might still be making his boards, although on a smaller scale, sometime later on down the road so to speak.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 03:21:25 PM »
Night Wing, I know the folks who cut and glassed (built) that board. I’m sure you could contact them and they’d get you a cut and glass it. (And pay WD for his design as well.)

In the modern age, shapers don’t retire, they just market less.

I too would love to hear from WD. I always enjoyed his knowledge. Getting to hear it without the marketing inserted would be really great. (I mean that in the best way, but of course he could only speak of his brand or what he sold when he was selling.)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 04:42:28 PM »
Night Wing, I know the folks who cut and glassed (built) that board. I’m sure you could contact them and they’d get you a cut and glass it. (And pay WD for his design as well.)

I really like my 5 fin box One World. I call it my "mini gun" since it is only 11'1" in length.

If you don't mind and I hope I wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes, could you provide me with the company name, address and phone number to the people who cut and glassed WarDog's boards? And I do hope if they would be willing to do a job like this, they would pay WarDog for his design.

You can send the info to me in a private message. And the info would be much appreciated by me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal