Author Topic: I can fly now  (Read 6835 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: I can fly now
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 12:39:37 PM »
I pump big wings like a kite when the wind is light. Let the wing come up over your head a little and flatten, then steer it downwards and sheet in for the power stroke. It's a small movement, bearing only a slight resemblance to a kite pump, but it's how I think of it. I only do that to get up on foil when I'm having a problem. Most wing pumping I do while up on the foil is just to get through a lull, so it's a simple equal-pull pump. If I want to get up higher on the foil I pump the board.

One element of big wings I haven't seen anyone talk about is dumping power in the gusts or when you catch a wave. The easiest way to reduce power is to get the wing up over your head and flat. If you need a little power you just sheet a little bit. If you're catching a wave that doesn't work as well since the wing is still pulling and tends to lift you--exactly what you probably don't want. Grabbing the front handle and holding the wing low works so much better. But it's not the best way to deal with a gust since it brings the wing to zero power and takes to long to get back to a position where you're applying some power.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 01:26:49 AM »
Still having fun learning this.  A couple more sessions in the bag.   I can get and ride heel side and stay upwind no problem.  I have started to ride toe side now along with trying to get transitions from  heel side to toe side.   Riding toeside is a bit trickier at the moment.  Need more time. So far only rode for about 10 seconds toeside.  Tried switching my forward foot and that was a disaster on every level. No direction control. No foil control.  Might try and put some time in behind the boat riding opposite foot forward to help that out. Not sure whether I want to switch feet or just ride toeside.  You windsurfers are used to that.  I have no experience with it and wont try while holding a wing in my hand on foil.

Sounds like great progress Ninja.  Riding offside is worth knowing.  It feels incredibly awkward at first.  Whose body is this?  Give it a few weeks, though and it will work itself out.  You already know what to do, you just need to let your mind adjust to it actually happening.  :)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 07:03:43 AM »

Sounds like great progress Ninja.  Riding offside is worth knowing.  It feels incredibly awkward at first.  Whose body is this?  Give it a few weeks, though and it will work itself out.  You already know what to do, you just need to let your mind adjust to it actually happening.  :)

Totally agree with Admin. I couldn't really do my other side but then it clicked and now it feels almost the same. Takes time, keep going Ninja!
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 03:24:40 PM »
Thanks for that info Pono, I will try it next time I have the 7m out. Makes sense.

OK, to fix the switch foot thing I went with and Efoil session.  Worked wonders.  Here is the write up
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,35784.0.html

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2020, 04:57:43 AM »
So a few more sessions of flying.  In terms of the switch stance vs toe side that I am dealing with, I have been focusing on riding that direction a lot more.  I had 2 sessions just doing both to see if one took over more than the other.  The Lift e-foil definitely made the switch foot more comfortable and not so foreign.  Conditions were always in the 20-25 mph range using my 5m wing.  Some progressions in terms of feeling more comfortable but did not make any real progress in terms of flying on that side. 

I did discover flying downwind.   Oh wow is that fun.  Did it at the end of the session just to have some flight time.   I was turning downwind and starting to ride the small waves in the lagoon while up on the foil.

My last session the wind was light.  We have either had no wind or nuking wind. Wind meter was reading 8-15mph winds. I have not had winds like this to really try yet.  Decided to use the 7m wing and then on my foil, I switched to the -2 shim.  The -2 shim was a little shock at first.  I was able to pop right up on it. But then had to adjust to the quicker lift from that shim by keeping a little more weight on that front foot.  This session the toe side just seemed to take over.  I was able to fly toe side quite consistently with rides getting over a minute long.  As much as I wanted to really to try digging upwind on my toeside, I was happy just flying toeside moving downwind.  I did try and don’t think I did good with it but I know it will get better with more sessions.

I did have fun while on toe side and started surfing the small waves.  Being toe side it was easier to see them.  So once I was feeling more comfortable, I started to do turns on the waves. Fun.  I was having a few issues with elevation control and seemed to be breaching a lot on the toeside with my body all twisted up. But when I started turning  in the waves I breached way less and rode for much longer.

One thing I was curious about whether anyone else does this.  When I ride heelside facing the wing, it is no problem  to have both hands in an overhand grip. (palms facing down).  When I was riding toeside, I found my front hand holding underhand (palm facing up) and my backhand in the overhand position.  It just feels comfortable.  Do I need to switch to both overhand for my toeside? Does it matter?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2020, 06:51:21 AM »
Overhand or underhand...doesn’t matter. Some people believe underhand reduces the risk of carpal tunnel in the forearm. I do underhand on front, overhand at rear. Switch it up and not fire up the forearm tendons.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2020, 04:27:45 AM »
Had a fun weekend of some wind.  Wind was 20-25 mph.  Decided to try riding the smaller 1600 foil with the 5m wing.  Usually riding the 2400.  Just did a long downwind run.  Again 1-2 foot tight chop and just decided to do one long downwind run.  Did about a 4 to 4.5 mile run just playing with catching the little wind waves.  Had a lot fun doing that. Did not quite let go with the rear hand yet, but let the wing fly horizontal a lot with both hands over head while riding the waves.  That made it easy for me grab power if and when I screwed up on the waves and lost the ride and had no wind power. Which happened a lot with the small waves.

Only noticed a little difference in getting up on the 1600 vs the 2400.  Granted, I could have popped up a little quicker on the 2400 but I was able to pop up quite regularly with the 1600.   Only a few minor hangups.  Progressing.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 09:50:35 PM »
Are you using the Armstrong CF2400 V1 or CF2400 V2. Thanks, liv2surf
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2020, 09:17:51 AM »
I am pretty sure it V1.  Don't see V2 anywhere on it.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM