Author Topic: I really need to start paying attention  (Read 2102 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I really need to start paying attention
« on: January 23, 2020, 05:21:10 PM »
I had a rough morning at Ka'a. The surf was big, Like 10-15 feet at Ho'okipa with Peahi going off for the paddle-in folks. Ka'a gets shadowed, but still, the only guy I saw going to the outer reef was Eddie Ogata, and he was barely surviving the drop, though once he was in the waves he ripped it up as usual. I stayed in the lagoon with most of the other foilers, taking the reform waves, or the waves that were small enough to make it over the reef without breaking. I had one good ride, though it felt weirdly unstable. The chop on the reef was nasty, and I fell a few times, but then I caught another wave, never got the wing under control and just banked right into the face of the wave. I did this two or three more times, got exhausted, started falling even more (once it's in your head that you're going to fall, you're gonna fall). Finally paddled in.

I went to the harbor and ran into Dave Kalama, He spent the morning doing hero stuff at Tidy bowls, and was considering foiling. I went back and forth on going out given my tuckered state, decided to get some coffee and come back. While I was walking back to my car from Maui Coffee Roasters I noticed this "little" bend in my mast. No wonder I couldn't get the thing to go straight. I'm not sure when I did this, though there were a few incidents over the last week that might be the culprit.

I kind of noticed it last night but thought it was an optical illusion. Duh.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: I really need to start paying attention
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 08:06:24 PM »
Pono, most folks also attach the foil to the end of the mast. That might help.

You see the "Angle foil" you could start "Side Angle Foil" . Basically just kick your back foot way to the side to compensate.

:) - red

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 10:21:27 PM »
Bank left

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 05:46:27 AM »
"once it's in your head that you're going to fall, you're gonna fall"  Truth.  I tend to overstay my welcome.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 08:13:36 AM »
New asymmetrical foil mast.  Is that for backside or frontside?
 ;D
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 09:53:50 AM »
Yikes!  Is that your new Flying Dutchman on the left in the picture?  Any comparative thoughts between your two (or three) boards?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal