Author Topic: Mast length  (Read 1120 times)

winged surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Mast length
« on: January 21, 2020, 07:12:01 AM »
what are you currently using?
i just switched from the 72 cm to the 82 cm but did not try it yet.
is anyone on the 100 cm? what is in general the difference in terms of riding an 80 cm mast and a 100 cm mast?
thanks

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mast length
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 07:29:00 AM »
As you go longer it becomes harder to catch the swell energy because the wing normally rides further down in the water.

I changed from a 90 cm to 72 cm and like the 72 cm better. It is easier to carry on land and in and out of the water. I have less issues worrying about hitting coral. I do feel like I can ride/feel smaller swells with the wing closer to the swell energy. It still gives me enough length to go upwind nicely and to prevent foiling out.

The longer mast gives you more up and down range and could take you over big chop easier.

Kite Runner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 08:36:14 AM »
Questions about mast length.  I have never foiled, but am interested in it.  When using a longer mast, does the foil ride deeper in the water, or does the board fly higher above the water?  Or is it both?  I'd also like to have an idea of how shallow you can safely ride.  I kite in an area that has varying depths and shoals and want to know what I can safely ride over, either with a kite or with a wing.  Thanks.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 08:43:24 AM »
In my opinion mostly the board flys higher with a longer mast rather than the foil flys deeper but when going across swells itís often a bit of both.

maiz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 10:41:32 AM »
Mast weight is also a consideration, if aluminum. I only tried the 36in (91cm) mast once in light wind and seemed a bit more challenging to get the board out of the water. Switched to 30in (76cm) and had an easier time with it. Could have been more mental block than reality and is less an issue once on foil.  That said, 30in in decent Columbia river chop feels like a good length.
Wing - Naish S25 Wing Surfer 4.6, Naish Hover Wing 60L :: Foil - Slingshot Infinity 76

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 10:46:19 AM »
Questions about mast length.  I have never foiled, but am interested in it.  When using a longer mast, does the foil ride deeper in the water, or does the board fly higher above the water?  Or is it both?  I'd also like to have an idea of how shallow you can safely ride.  I kite in an area that has varying depths and shoals and want to know what I can safely ride over, either with a kite or with a wing.  Thanks.

Just my own feeble observation. You can go reasonably shallow if youíre willing to put up with a shorter mast. Iíve done quite a bit of Winging in 3 ft deep water with a 65cm mast. Even have a few areas I wing over where Iíd have to walk out 50 yards to restart if I ever came off the foil. With shallow water the chop generally doesnít get too high but if it does go over something like 12Ē it becomes more challenging with breaching, touchdowns and the foil reacting to the swell. Itís actually good practice for improving your pitch control.

Any shallower than 3 ft requiring something less than 65cm for mast length is just not worth it for me. Note we have a soft bottom where we ride. If your talking rock and or corral I wouldnít cut it close at all.

When you are first learning itís nice to have water you can stand in but not so shallow that the foil is bumping off the bottom when youíre plowing along at slow speed . Not always easy to find those sorts of locations with reasonable winds

For kitefoiling, with ok wind and decent skills you can get away with a mast that is a bit longer than the water depth, since you can basically pull yourself right up onto the foil from a water start position. I might be banished from the forum for saying this but donít overlook kitefoiling either. Winging is awesome but kitefoiling still offers all kinds of thrills youíll never get from a wing. Iíll have way more fun kitefoiling in 8-12 mph than I ever would trying to wing in those winds.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:00:09 AM by obxDave »

Kite Runner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 12:42:50 PM »

Just my own feeble observation. You can go reasonably shallow if youíre willing to put up with a shorter mast. Iíve done quite a bit of Winging in 3 ft deep water with a 65cm mast. Even have a few areas I wing over where Iíd have to walk out 50 yards to restart if I ever came off the foil. With shallow water the chop generally doesnít get too high but if it does go over something like 12Ē it becomes more challenging with breaching, touchdowns and the foil reacting to the swell. Itís actually good practice for improving your pitch control.

Any shallower than 3 ft requiring something less than 65cm for mast length is just not worth it for me. Note we have a soft bottom where we ride. If your talking rock and or corral I wouldnít cut it close at all.

When you are first learning itís nice to have water you can stand in but not so shallow that the foil is bumping off the bottom when youíre plowing along at slow speed . Not always easy to find those sorts of locations with reasonable winds

For kitefoiling, with ok wind and decent skills you can get away with a mast that is a bit longer than the water depth, since you can basically pull yourself right up onto the foil from a water start position. I might be banished from the forum for saying this but donít overlook kitefoiling either. Winging is awesome but kitefoiling still offers all kinds of thrills youíll never get from a wing. Iíll have way more fun kitefoiling in 8-12 mph than I ever would trying to wing in those winds.  Good luck!

Thanks obxDave!  Yes, kite foiling is probably the best "foil entry path" for me right now.

Phils

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 05:09:24 AM »
As you go longer it becomes harder to catch the swell energy because the wing normally rides further down in the water.

I have been working on maximizing glide last few sessions and am now realizing how true the above statement is.  I hadnít really noticed it in bigger ocean waves, but it really makes a huge difference in small wind swell.  I seem to naturally ride at the same height over the water regardless of mast length so will go back to 72 from current 85 unless I expect big swell.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal