Author Topic: Sunrise Paddle (Paddle for Ray)  (Read 2427 times)

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sunrise Paddle (Paddle for Ray)
« on: January 20, 2020, 07:25:20 AM »
Yesterday we paddled to support cancer patients and show our support, It started at 3:00 am and ended at 11:00 am. The goal was 32 miles, I paddled 12 miles my personal best.The sunrise after about the 5th lap was amazing #paddleforray

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 07:27:35 AM by SouthCounty »
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

supthecreek

Re: Sunrise Paddle (Paddle for Ray)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 11:04:43 AM »
Good on ya Southy!

Bet that sunrise was pretty cool  :)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 01:52:47 PM »
12 miles is a good haul. Next year you can try to make it a little further. And so on. Nice paddle group, good cause, and really pushing yourself. I paddle the harbor at night sometimes. I'll paddle along the outer jetty and it's so black that you can't see your paddle enter the water. You can't even see the surface of the water. Totally paddling by feel. I do wear two small green led lights. I clip one to the back of my hat and one on the side of my PFD belt. I can't see the lights the way I have them attached, but boaters can see me.

This is coming up next weekend..... You should do it. It was my first race over 10 years ago.

https://paddleguru.com/races/HanohanoHukiOceanChallenge2020 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 06:54:15 PM »
12 miles is a good haul. Next year you can try to make it a little further. And so on. Nice paddle group, good cause, and really pushing yourself. I paddle the harbor at night sometimes. I'll paddle along the outer jetty and it's so black that you can't see your paddle enter the water. You can't even see the surface of the water. Totally paddling by feel. I do wear two small green led lights. I clip one to the back of my hat and one on the side of my PFD belt. I can't see the lights the way I have them attached, but boaters can see me.

This is coming up next weekend..... You should do it. It was my first race over 10 years ago.

Ive already signed up, you going to do it?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 07:50:43 PM »
I won't be doing it this year. Something else going on this weekend.
It's not overhead to me!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 06:54:36 PM »

How did it go?
Ive already signed up, you going to do it?
It's not overhead to me!

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 02:55:39 PM »
It was so much fun, super cool being around that Aloha spirit, But I SUCK! I ran out of gas and couldn't push that hard, I finished but not very good in my age group. Sometimes I think I may be paddling to too big of a board, but Im not sure. I might be doing the one in Newport in a couple weeks not sure yet.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 07:43:23 PM »
It was so much fun, super cool being around that Aloha spirit, But I SUCK! I ran out of gas and couldn't push that hard, I finished but not very good in my age group. Sometimes I think I may be paddling to too big of a board, but Im not sure. I might be doing the one in Newport in a couple weeks not sure yet.
It's not the board, it's the operator  ::) You can run out of gas for so many reasons. I will train my brains out, then run out of gas during the race. There is a lot more to the preparation than you think. What you eat the night before is key. DON'T eat anything the morning of the race! I always eat pasta the night before. You need carbs in your reserves. That will reduce your chances of hitting the proverbial wall. Anything your stomach has to digest the morning of the race, will slow you down. A little fruit is ok. Drink lots of water the night before as well.
Anyway, now you have to beat your time next year. I beat my time almost every year for about 8 years. I don't know that I could do that anymore. My age is creating a threshold. Maybe I still got a few minutes to drop on a good day???
The Hal Rosoff race is a good one too. 
It's not overhead to me!

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 08:27:17 PM »
Yesterday we paddled to support cancer patients and show our support, It started at 3:00 am and ended at 11:00 am. The goal was 32 miles, I paddled 12 miles my personal best.The sunrise after about the 5th lap was amazing #paddleforray

Ray Nosse was an incredible human being and I’m honored to have been friends with him. His passing was much too soon but thankfully Anthony Vela and the Performance Paddling community keep his spirit alive, along with many others that have lost a similar battle. I rarely come on here anymore but when I do, it’s nice to see a thread that can make me reflect and smile rather than another foiling thread. Thanks for posting this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal