Author Topic: Divinycell PVC Foam Block  (Read 8223 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Divinycell PVC Foam Block
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 06:26:27 PM »
Just wanted to add something that I heard on the Progression Project podcast.

TallDude, looks like you were on to something. @ericfoil was a guest and he advocates making the bottom fully bomber and adding a foilmount to the board. He swears by them but, it should be noted that he does make the bottom super strong in prep. He’s not just popping one on a standard board.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 10:28:39 PM »
The Foil Strongbox is actually made of two pieces of CNC cut PVC foam and it's the strongest way to mount a foil.

https://www.amazon.com/Foil-Strongbox/dp/B07XS99T97
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:30:22 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 11:11:52 PM »
Easy to be onto something. It's another thing to find people that will pay for it. PVC / Divinycell foam is super expensive.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 07:05:18 PM »
Robert, that looks bomber.

I’d have to say, you probably have more real world experience with foil mounting than anyone on here. If you had a problem you’d know soon and fix it fast I’ll bet.

It must’ve been tough as a businessman to release those first boards while everyone was still figuring things out. Kudos for taking the chance and moving things along.

Just curious, what do you think the split is like these days among your board customers as far as tracks vs Tuttle?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2020, 04:48:38 AM »
what do you think the split is like these days among your board customers as far as tracks vs Tuttle?

You’d have to sell boards with Tuttle only, or tracks only to know.

Over the last 2 years Tuttle is 16% of orders.
Over the last year alone Tuttle is 10% of orders.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2020, 05:56:01 AM »
what do you think the split is like these days among your board customers as far as tracks vs Tuttle?

You’d have to sell boards with Tuttle only, or tracks only to get a good sampling.

Over the last 2 years Tuttle is 16% of orders.
Over the last year alone Tuttle is 10% of orders.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2020, 06:26:13 AM »
DW, are those stats industry-wide or just one specific foil brand?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 07:38:34 AM »
One brand

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 09:02:03 AM »
wow!  I'm surprised about that.  That gives an indication of gofoil's market share (given that they are only tuttle) - at least among Dwight's customers

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 09:17:53 AM »
wow!  I'm surprised about that.  That gives an indication of gofoil's market share (given that they are only tuttle) - at least among Dwight's customers

IMHO, absolutely useless metric to judge market share. People's preferences yea, maybe.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 09:35:18 AM »

IMHO, absolutely useless metric to judge market share. People's preferences yea, maybe.

Agreed. Lots of GoFoil riders order tracks only.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2020, 11:23:11 AM »
I would say a preference for tracks is more a matter of wanting to be like the big guys (and gals). Most prone foilers, who I consider to be generally the most accomplished (just a silly top of mind bias, some of the best rippers are on SUPs), use tracks. They more or less have too since they need both the adjustability and the low profile to fit their dinky boards. You see your heroes using tracks, you want tracks. With a SUP you can move around a lot to adjust body position vs. center of lift. With a prone board that is a little longer than your stance, what you got is what you got. The mast has to have a little adjustment. Especially if you're going to wing. I listened to Skeeter's explanation of how she's water starting her dinky prone board. Beside convincing me there's no fucking way I'm going to be doing that, it made me realize how critical her mast position is. She's literally starting with most of her body weight off the back of the board. No room for fudging on wing position, it has to be where she wants it for anything good to happen.

My new board has tracks. I have no idea where to position them, but I could wander around until the foil lifted. So we mooses got that going for us.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:25:21 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2020, 02:49:20 PM »
I switched over to tracks because I was sick of trying to find bolts long enough to fit my tuttle box and then having them strip or sheer regularly, and then having to have a set to match each of my boards since they all have a different thickness.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2020, 03:00:48 PM »
Plate mount (tracks) are getting more and more popular and most companies, including GoFoil offer plate mount options. 
I still like the Tuttle mount as its stronger and a little faster to attach and detach.  Not being able to adjust the location is a disadvantage but only an issue if the Tuttle box is not in the right place.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal