Author Topic: Non inflatable wing?  (Read 2068 times)

biggins

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Non inflatable wing?
« on: January 16, 2020, 07:14:02 AM »
I was thinking about the ice wingers. They obviously don’t use inflatable wings. And it seems to me that you’d get better performance from a stiffer wing. I wonder why the industry doesn’t come up with a wing like a windsurf wing and add a bit of floatation???

No pumping/popped bladders, possibly better performance, longer lasting....Hmmm

Maybe throw a pool noodle on an ice wing and see how it goes eh? Lol

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Non inflatable wing?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 09:19:38 AM »
There are a few people using them in Maui. The big problem I see with them is getting going. The floating bladder is a big help in many ways. Pool noodles work sort of, but not as well. The wings are fairly light, but quite a bit heavier than lightweights like the F-one. I haven't seen anything from the experiments that would make me want to get one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

biggins

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 07:28:02 AM »
Interesting to hear folks are using them in Maui...

My prediction is that they will become more popular for racing and for lightning/flatwater. The performance upwind should be much better, likely 20 degrees. But for waves I’m thinking that the lightweight inflatable that can just shut off wind power by carrying it is best.

We’ll see, but I’d bet the industry ends up with both, like lei vs foils for racing.

Thanks

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 11:55:29 PM »
I sold my late 80’s wind weapon to a guy in the Bay Area who was planning to refurb it with carbon bits and try winging. Personally I think it’s probably too high aspect but maybe the smaller size would work.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal