Author Topic: Here's a little wake up...  (Read 2772 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Here's a little wake up...
« on: January 15, 2020, 08:32:46 AM »
In general, an individual’s cognitive and physical peaks occur around ages 20-30 years old. Longevity curves usually remain relatively flat until a slow decline starts in the 5th decade of life and becomes precipitous during the 7th decade of life. By the 8th decade, most people have reached the “halfway point” of their existence, meaning they are functioning at about 50% of their cognitive and physical peak. Unfortunately, reaching the 50% mark with a decade of life expectancy left leads to prolonged morbidity.

That's one of the takeaways from this episode of the Curbsiders - medical student oriented podcast.  There's lots more if you have an hour to listen.  Given my cognitive decline - I have to listen more than once.  'Curbsiders' covers a lot of interesting subjects.   

https://thecurbsiders.com/podcast/183-longevity

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Here's a little wake up...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 11:32:37 AM »
Well, hell. I kind of already knew that. Just keep going in every direction as hard as you can.

I'm also reminded that doctors and researchers work with the patients they have. The bulk of people over 50 are fat, sick, were not that bright to start with, and stopped learning anything new before they turned 30. I console myself by imagining that the number of 73-year-old wingfoilers who study new stuff 24/7 is poorly represented in studies.

And I'm going to keep pretending that that matters and solves everything.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:36:29 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal