Author Topic: COOKIE!!  (Read 5653 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
COOKIE!!
« on: January 15, 2020, 03:23:34 AM »
how's that shoulder hangin', man?

hope your head is ok, with you stuck staying dry in here

youre missed here at the zonal world--cookie video drought!

BE WELL!

dont be a stranger
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: COOKIE!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 04:41:33 AM »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 09:34:02 PM »

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 09:44:42 PM »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 09:24:02 AM »
Yea, give us an update Marc.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 11:58:27 AM »
Cookieman:
“I’m just the cook”

Oh yeah.... and the guitar player, song writer, videographer dude
Where you at?

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 08:17:49 PM »
Wow! I seriously hadn't posted in months. Did pop in a coupla times to browse. Going ok here but still a looong way out until the shoulder is surf strong. Still quite painful w/limited range of motion. My physical therapist says I have alot of scar tissue I'm working against.
Appreciating the heads up here.
Thanx   8)

Put a little slide show together for everyone.
lucabrasi- Not sure why you posted the jams but I enjoyed the time capsule sounds.

https://youtu.be/XlxkgSvwwbw
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:25:19 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 08:29:09 PM »
June sounds like a perfect time to get back in the water.
Keep strong dude and speedy recovery! Looking forward to your next movie 8)
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 10:41:11 AM »
Good to hear cookie. Sometimes you need to hit the reset button.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 12:56:32 PM »
COOKIE!

glad youre holding up ok

love the jazzy pickin' --  hello charlie byrd

funny my friend is having minimally invasive anterior total hip replacement at Rothman in Philly---next week--im watching carefully--might be im next--i will say that all the time i was off my feet improved my hip--thank goodness--doc say all i can do for now is wak--fri is 2-3week followup--hope is he clears me to ride bike at least

despite paiiiinnn!, seems youve had a decent experience at Rothman

heal on--youll be wet soon!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 03:51:15 PM »
good luck with the recovery! June will come quicker than you think. And the waves are nice and small then to get you warmed up for September!

miss your videos.

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 07:46:23 PM »
@ cookie

I've had both my left and then my right shoulder operated on. My operations weren't as severe as what you went through. I "know" how long they take to heal.

If you've still got a lot of pain and a limited range of motion after 11 weeks since your operation, I don't want to be a pessimist, but I'm a pragmatist as well as a realist.

I could be wrong at what I'm about to say, but based on what your medical procedure was, I don't think you'll be on the water by June. I hope I'm wrong.

As an example, just like a college football player who blows out one of his knees in practice in the month of August, he knows he will not playing football in the Fall college football season.

I think you should have a serious talk with your physical therapist with regards to your shoulder exercises and I'll tell you why.

On my first day of PT, when I asked my therapist how many reps for a specific exercise, the stock answer was 20. So on that first day of PT, I did the 20 reps. But on the second day of PT, when my therapist wanted the same 20 reps, I told her I was going to do 25 reps.

My therapist just wanted me to do the 20 reps. I told her to count out the reps so I could hear them. When she got to 20, I started counting from 21 to 25 reps. My therapist told me she wanted just 20 reps. I told her she got her 20 reps and 5 more.

The third day of PT, my therapist told me I could do 25 reps. I told her to count the number of reps. I did 25 reps plus 5 more. So you can see where this was going between me and my therapist. From that day forward, I always increased the amount of reps by 5. And this is because I had a goal.

She told me although both of my shoulder operations weren't as severe as a shoulder replacement, they were still quite involved. She then reminded me that I was only 144 pounds and not 200-225 pounds. I told her I'm like barbed wire. In other words; I bend like barbed wire, but I don't break and I can tell if I reach a point where I just might break. It is like I have a built in circuit breaker.

Get together with your therapist and have her talk with your surgeon and see if you can increase the number of reps for each exercise. In my way of thinking; which I applied to myself in both of my shoulder operations, if you keep doing the same amount of reps for each exercise, the shoulder basically reaches a plateau muscle, tendon and ligament wise so it will take a long time to heal.

But if you go beyond the plateau where those muscles haven't been rep wise; it will hurt like hell, but those muscles, tendons and ligaments will stretch where they haven't been stretched before. This will also help with the scar tissue. If your therapist and surgeon think more reps will help the healing process increase in speed, which decreases the time to heal, you should heal quicker like I did.

Both of my therapists; for my left and then my right shoulder, told me I did three months of PT work in one month of time. There were other people in the PT wing who had shoulder replacements, knee replacements, hip replacements, etc.

When our one hour of time was up and we completed our exercises, I was the only one who walked out of the wing with a partially wet shirt from sweat while the patients, there shirts were "bone dry". Those other patients in the wing who were with me, they did one month of PT work in one month of time. Again, talk with your therapist.

One last item, if you're allowed to go beyond your stated amount of reps, it will hurt like "HELL". But as the old adage goes; "No pain, no gain".
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:55:27 PM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 07:47:38 AM »
I sold my lowest volume/highest performance sup the other day. Can't imagine being able to stand on that thing anytime soon after recovery!

Looking forward to your next movie 8)
Maybe I'll motivate some back log video edit. Have plenty!

Sometimes you need to hit the reset button.
This is a full reboot!

love the jazzy pickin' --  hello charlie byrd
Maybe im next--i will say that all the time i was off my feet improved my hip/quote]
Thanx on the music...you can scope out my jams here...some good...some not so good.

https://www.soundclick.com/artistAdmin/default.cfm?bandID=920659&content=music

https://www.soundclick.com/artistAdmin/default.cfm?bandID=1294617&content=music

I didn't realize you were laid w/a bad hip. Getting old ain't so easy when you're a surfer. Surfing demands alot of our bodies.

miss your videos.
Thanx! As I posted above, maybe I'll try and motivate some back log vids. Here's one of my first vids I did when I first started on sup WAY back in summer 2012.  my son shot the vid for me...Pre SOLOSHOT!

I was the only one who walked out of the wing with a partially wet shirt from sweat while the patients, there shirts were "bone dry". One last item, if you're allowed to go beyond your stated amount of reps, it will hurt like "HELL". But as the old adage goes; "No pain, no gain".
You definitely set the benchmark for PT recovery. I hate to admit it but I HATE regimented exercise but force myself daily to do the PT. And I truly know the meaning of "No pain, no gain" now.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 09:47:27 AM »
@ cookie

When I was doing my PT at the sports medicine complex every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and then after I was officially released to do PT at my home; since I was "pushing the envelope" reps wise, I was told "not" to do any PT exercises on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

Why? Because I was doing more reps than normal so my muscles, tendons and ligaments needed a day off inbetween PT days to "rest" from the increased amount of reps I was doing. This "rest" helped with the healing process and allowed me to heal quicker.

Most people are like you. They hate doing the PT exercises at home because if it is painful and they don't like feeling the pain. The problem is, since they don't like the pain, instead of doing the required amount of PT at home, say for 6 months, they start to cheat by not doing the required amount of reps. Instead of doing 20 reps for each exercise, the only do 10 reps or they don't do any exercises at their home.

They are relying on "time" to heal without the PT work, but they won't heal correctly. This is why some people who have pain in their shoulder after having went through a torn rotator cuff procedure like mine, since they have pain in their shoulder joint 6 months down the road, they BLAME their surgeon. But in fact, since they didn't do the time required to do the exercises at home, or not at all, the blame is squarely on THEM.

At least you are doing the exercises. Mention me to your therapist as an example and see if you can have a day off between PT days and if need be, show her my posts to you in this thread.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 11:40:42 AM »
I was doing my PT at the sports medicine complex every Monday, Wednesday, Friday
I'm only two days a week on site for PT. Everyday at home. I do two one hour workouts everyday. Curious how long you were in PT for. I'm two months into it now.

I pre-ordered the "Boost" motorized fin for my longboard. Hoping it will help me ease back into the water when the time comes. Only problem is it's supposed to go into production in China and w/this Corona virus outbreak the Boost will most likely be delayed. Not like I can use it anytime soon though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/racer23/boost-surfing-fin/description

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal