Author Topic: Gong Allvator - Review thread  (Read 29764 times)

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Gong Allvator - Review thread
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2020, 12:09:18 PM »
Thatspec, It looks like the Veloce wingspan/chord ratio is not that high from the specs on Gong web site
XXL 5.1   
XL  4.7   
L  4.6
M 4.4

This calculation they offer is used by nobody else I've seen and gives a deceptively low number unfortunately. Typically aspect ratio is calculated as wingspan squared divided by the surface area (cm and cm2). Axis uses projected area which makes sense to me but I suspect the true formula uses actual area.
The 6.3x / 1 for the XXL Veloce was what I calculated from that formula as a way to compare it to the Axis 1150.

Speaking of high aspect, have you guys seen the video of Gunnar winging on the Moses 800 (it's about 10/1 ar if I recall, or maybe that's the 1000)? It was on youtube pretty sure.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2020, 06:33:16 PM »
Thatspec, It looks like the Veloce wingspan/chord ratio is not that high from the specs on Gong web site
XXL 5.1   
XL  4.7   
L  4.6
M 4.4

This calculation they offer is used by nobody else I've seen and gives a deceptively low number unfortunately. Typically aspect ratio is calculated as wingspan squared divided by the surface area (cm and cm2). Axis uses projected area which makes sense to me but I suspect the true formula uses actual area.
The 6.3x / 1 for the XXL Veloce was what I calculated from that formula as a way to compare it to the Axis 1150.

Speaking of high aspect, have you guys seen the video of Gunnar winging on the Moses 800 (it's about 10/1 ar if I recall, or maybe that's the 1000)? It was on youtube pretty sure.
Good to know,THX

PS,  Got the wing today looks great. ;D
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2020, 09:48:02 PM »
One major problem I’m having with my Gong XXL Pro is that the screws get loose on the front wing after winging for about 20 minutes or so. It’s no fun to ride with a wobbly front wing! I’ve tried Ted-Gel and I’ve even added a top screw, but neither have made a difference. Does anyone else have this issue? I’m about ready to Loctite the front wing to the fuselage, but transporting it will be much harder if I do that.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2020, 10:27:47 PM »
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:29:22 PM by surfcowboy »

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2020, 12:00:01 AM »
On my XXL pro I don’t use a 3rd screw I just use a long screw to go right through the foil with a washer and nyloc nut on. Not very aero but the pro is not a fast wing and it works a treat. On the Veloce I have started using loctite threadlock (not as good). It’s a universal problem with the big wings I think. I will be interested to know if anyone has found a better solution? 😀

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2020, 07:28:15 AM »
I wouldn't think the bottom screws should ever come loose, but i could see the top screw coming loose. I'd make sure those bottom screws are good and tight before tightening the top. Adding a fourth short top screw could also be a option. Shimming the top of the fuse connection with a strip or 2 of Mylar tape might also help.

Man the shipping quotes seems like they are taking forever.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 07:34:51 AM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2020, 07:49:59 AM »
Surfcowboy: Yes, I added the top screw and unfortunately it didn't help at all.

Supunk: Do you notice any negative performance from the nut? Or any excessive humming/vibrating? If not, I might try this route instead of Loctite.

Fishman: Tell me about it! I've reached out to Gong 3 times about ordering the new Veloce wing and they won't get back to me. I mostly love their gear, but they desperately need a United States distributor or they need to streamline their international shipping options.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2020, 08:56:46 AM »
Adding this excellent Gong Veloce XL review here for reference.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,36348.0.html

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2020, 09:04:23 AM »
Rasta that’s tough. I’m playing with better shimming for the fuselage. I’ve got my mast to fuse connection tight but I end up replacing it a lot. Trying some epoxy methods and will report back.

The nut sounds good actually too.

I’m considering ordering a quiver of wings to keep shipping down and selling off what I don’t need/like. We might end up with a Zone-Gong US buying club to deal with this since so many of us here are on the platform now.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2020, 09:22:53 AM »
Hi Rastaman. I have not noticed any negatives with the nut/bolt on the XXL pro. With the Veloce I got a very slight hum at high speeds and had a couple of episodes of cavitation at top speed. I was uncertain if these occurred because I breached a wing tip or if the nut was the issue. On my instagram there is a clip where you can hear the hum if you are interested (@chrislucas735). I have since started using the loctite with the Veloce and didn’t notice any hum but was not running at such high speeds. It’s not as good a fix though. Shiming the wing on the fuse so that it’s a nice fit helps as well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:33:35 AM by supunk »

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2020, 09:30:27 AM »

PS,  Got the wing today looks great. ;D

Good to hear Fishman :)
Will be curious to know what you think of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal