Author Topic: Gong Allvator - Review thread  (Read 29765 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Gong Allvator - Review thread
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2020, 08:40:34 PM »
Thatspec, trying to summarize here.

Pro L is 770mm, and about 1200cm projected. It flies a 90kg rider. Good to know. What kinds of speeds does it take would you say? Anything will lift anything with enough go behind it, a wise man once said.

The Axis 1010 is of course 1010mm and about 1400cm projected so that makes sense that glide is less. There also a hole in the Gong line around there. But they say that this was by design since they go by rider weight and such over raw numbers. (Said on Gong forum.)

The carbon mast looks rock solid to me. Nice upgrade.

About that Medium. Fly it when you can. I’m wondering if that’s my “waist to chest” size surf wing at 63kg.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:46:44 PM by surfcowboy »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2020, 11:39:41 PM »
Here ya go cowboy, maybe this might help you with comparisons of Gong's wings to those that Axis is offering.

The numbers came from the two companies' websites, so any funny numbers in a cell or two you'd have to ask the company about wrt any possible typos or funny calcs on their part.

Hope that helps some.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:43:26 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2020, 05:08:52 PM »
I use Gong XXL pro and XXL Veloce wings for wingfoiling and really rate them. I run them with a 90cm Axis mast conversion and a 45cm kite stab. The pro is amazing for light wind wingdinging and will hover at crazy low speeds. The Veloce is my present go too good wind foil with great speed and control. I only got the Veloce wing last week but I am blown away by the quality and ride. I have had many Gong wings and boards over the last few years but have no affiliation with them. I struggled to load vids but I have a few clips and pics on my instagram account @chrislucas735 if you are interested. 😀
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 05:23:25 PM by supunk »

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2020, 08:13:26 PM »
I use Gong XXL pro and XXL Veloce wings for wingfoiling and really rate them. I run them with a 90cm Axis mast conversion and a 45cm kite stab. The pro is amazing for light wind wingdinging and will hover at crazy low speeds. The Veloce is my present go too good wind foil with great speed and control. I only got the Veloce wing last week but I am blown away by the quality and ride. I have had many Gong wings and boards over the last few years but have no affiliation with them. I struggled to load vids but I have a few clips and pics on my instagram account @chrislucas735 if you are interested. 😀

I really like your "Doodad"... Wait, that just sounds wrong... Okay, the custom Doodad you made to fit the Axis mast on the Hellvator/Allvator really looks good.   Without a actual doodad to measure id guess we would probably be off on the finish product. Did you make any extra Doodads?

This is the third way iv'e seen in adapting the Axis mast to a Gong Fuselage, nice.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2020, 09:25:07 PM »
YO guys, supunk is the king of the chop shop.

His insta feed has some amazing franken foil creations.

My hat is off. I need to befriend a machinist.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2020, 11:09:02 PM »
Thanks surfcowboy . No spare doodads I’m afraid but they are an easy job for a machinist. The converter fuse is listed on the Gong website, so is easy to get hold of. I did tell my mate when he was making the doodad that we could sell a few of these. The Gong/Axis combo is not lightweight but the 19mm Axis mast is super stiff and it works really well. I like the look of the Gong carbon mast/fuse but like to be able to run different length masts. The conversion moves the mast 5mm further back on the fuse which is not an issue.  I have a couple more frankenfoil combo rigs coming, to get rid of the noodle masts on my other foils. Message me if you want any more details of the doodad? Foil safe😀
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 11:34:03 PM by supunk »

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2020, 11:39:35 PM »
Were you the guy who put a gong fuse on a takuma mast too?

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2020, 12:06:58 AM »
No not me, but one of my projects is to put an Axis mast on a Takuma LOL foil. I really like the stiff mast for SUP foiling. It’s not an issue when prone. A Gong mast should already fit a Takuma fuse😀
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 12:19:52 AM by supunk »

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2020, 12:25:33 AM »
I got the idea for the Axis/Gong rig from obxDave who also posts here. Big thanks Dave as I love my new setup👍👍👍

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2020, 08:12:46 AM »
Supunk, what's your all up weight (apologies if you've mentioned that already)? The XXL's are huge so I'm assuming over 100kg?
I was thinking the XL Veloce would be my 1st choice for winging (90Kg) but am considering an XXL Veloce for another foray into downwind sup foiling (1st attempts failed miserably). I'm VERY happy with my Axis 1010 but It's hard to justify over $700 bucks for an Axis 1150 as an experiment when I can get three Gong wings for the same price ::) The XXL Veloce is pretty close in aspect ratio to the 1150, 7.7 vs 6.3, with considerably larger area but much lower volume. Unfortunately it'll be months before I get back to the EU and cheap shipping....

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2020, 08:50:03 AM »
SurfCowboy asked me to copy over a post I made in the Wind Wing section about my experience with the Gong XXL Pro foil wing:

"After reading everyone on the Zone raving about Axis I was convinced I needed to “upgrade” from my Gong XXL Pro foil setup. In reality it’s a fantastic foil...early take off, great glide, carves like a dream. There’s really no logical reason to upgrade and I worry that switching to Axis, Armstrong, or Moses might actually be a downgrade in some respects as the Gong has no noticeable weak areas for me personally. So thanks to OBX for saving me the expense of buying a completely new Axis foil setup (was going to get the 1150).

The XXL Pro is a really good design by Gong in my opinion. It’s sort of a mid-aspect wing that’s medium thickness, but it carves really nice and is plenty fast, yet forgiving. Now I’m trying to get my hands on the XL size!"

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2020, 09:34:33 AM »
Hi thatspec. I am around 85kg but wearing a full suit all the time so probably around 90kg all in. The Veloce is a thin wing so needs some grunt to get up. I was considering getting an XL for SUP foiling but am going to try the XXL first.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2020, 06:37:08 PM »
Thx Rasta and all you guys. We’re building a nice set of data here about what you can do with these things and what wings are what.

I’m still curious as to what my step up wing will be. At some point I need to get something I can keep in the water on a wave with some push. There’s that sweet M Pro eyeing me from the classifieds but I’m wondering if I should just go slower/bigger? Having never lived through the days when the Takuma 100 and Kai were the only foils I may have incorrect ideas about how much lift I need. The M Pro looks about the same as the Kai size-wise.

Super curious to hear a SUP downwind report on the Veloce and Pro wings too. Post up when you’ve made a run. I’m determined to get my paddle power up to where I can get into an unbreaking wave.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2020, 12:22:34 AM »
Thatspec, It looks like the Veloce wingspan/chord ratiois not that high from the specs on Gong web site
XXL 5.1   
XL  4.7   
L  4.6
M 4.4
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2020, 12:52:43 AM »
SurfCowboy asked me to copy over a post I made in the Wind Wing section about my experience with the Gong XXL Pro foil wing:

"After reading everyone on the Zone raving about Axis I was convinced I needed to “upgrade” from my Gong XXL Pro foil setup. In reality it’s a fantastic foil...early take off, great glide, carves like a dream. There’s really no logical reason to upgrade and I worry that switching to Axis, Armstrong, or Moses might actually be a downgrade in some respects as the Gong has no noticeable weak areas for me personally. So thanks to OBX for saving me the expense of buying a completely new Axis foil setup (was going to get the 1150).

The XXL Pro is a really good design by Gong in my opinion. It’s sort of a mid-aspect wing that’s medium thickness, but it carves really nice and is plenty fast, yet forgiving. Now I’m trying to get my hands on the XL size!"

Agree with you Rastaman about the XXL Pro :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal