Author Topic: Gong Allvator - Review thread  (Read 29763 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Gong Allvator - Review thread
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 06:20:20 PM »
Yes, apparently the new fuse is drilled through and threaded. But the wing has to be drilled on top still. I’ll report when I get mine in.

The lighter drilled fuse is a good idea. Are you filling those with foam or something to keep the drag down? As I think about it, black duct tape would work too.

I’m interested to see the weight on the Pro wings. That may be the game changer.

As to the masts, people reported that the aging was flexy but I’ve never heard that about the Naish. Hmm... I wonder if the extra $500 made Naish feel stiffer or if they are different. Word is that the Gong mast is lighter so that would track with the flex.

Also we have to remember that metal objects can be made in the same factory on the same mold and be of differing alloys so they may be different.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 06:29:47 PM »
Gong runs bigger wings on the same masts. That big XXL wing will flex a mast a lot more than the L.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 08:38:04 PM »
Yep, I used mylar tape over holes on the main part and some foam and gorilla glue in the holes in the tail section. It only shaved off 1lb, but the core is now buoyant so there's that. I don't think it makes much differnce except maybe when pumping.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 09:03:41 PM »
Yo, a pound is like 10% of that thing right?  How deep did you go? (Warming up drill press...)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 05:01:17 PM »
It took more time to do than it might be worth doing. The holes are 1/2" and drilled all the way through. Staggered top holes and side hole overlap inside so the center is hollow. The ends were also drilled out as much as I could without interfering threaded holes. Laying it out, predrilling,... It pretty much took all day.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 06:53:10 PM »
Yeah, I may just play with making a carbon one.

I’ve been jonesing to make something new. Starting a set of foil boards soon. Might have to play with a carbon fuse and see what kind of mess I can make.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 07:56:04 AM »
Got my notice that package is clearing customs and will be here on Wed. That’s 9 days in transit.

One note, the tracking from France stops when it leaves (Last Wednesday). The US tracking doesn’t start til it gets to customs, so there’s about 5 of the 9 days where you don’t see progress. I wanted to email and ask (or gripe) but I figured I should just give it more than 5 days to cross the Atlantic and clear paperwork.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 08:27:12 AM »
The anticipation would be killing me...

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2020, 03:12:43 PM »
Got my notice that package is clearing customs and will be here on Wed. That’s 9 days in transit.

One note, the tracking from France stops when it leaves (Last Wednesday). The US tracking doesn’t start til it gets to customs, so there’s about 5 of the 9 days where you don’t see progress. I wanted to email and ask (or gripe) but I figured I should just give it more than 5 days to cross the Atlantic and clear paperwork.
Yes, it's an excruciating "dead period" when no one knows wtf your wings (in my case) are between the time they leave France and - in my experience - when they're sitting in customs...which was almost a week for us.

During that time everyone washes their hands of it....GONG said they shipped them, and it's in the shipper's hands, La Poste (French post office) said that once they get them on the plane it's not their problem, and the USPS says they don't take responsibility for them until they're out of customs...and trying to get anything from US Customs is like squeezing water out of a rock.  >:(

Good luck, and I hope your package fairs better than ours did in its journey (this is still in the USPS truck I took as proof of the damage just in case)...

...fortunately, nothing inside was worse for the wear, and tear it took getting here.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2020, 07:19:40 PM »
I’ll report in. I don’t have a boat in LA to drag me yet and I still need to finish my shim for my converted SUP. Patience is one of those benefits that comes with age.

I’ll bet I assemble and disassemble it a few times out in the garage though.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2020, 05:46:53 PM »
Got the foil today. (A day later than the USPS originally estimated, but a day earlier than their revised date. 10 days order to door. What a world we live in.

I'll try to post some unboxing stuff.

It looks great, weighs a bit less than I thought it would. I think y'all scared me and I've not felt any truly light foils yet either.  But man, the fuselage is heavy for what it is. Solid as a rock. That's the first thing to get carbonized if/when I can.

Been working all afternoon so didn't get to really fondle it properly. I'm sure I'll bolt it all together in the living room tonight.

Should address this for people considering things. Value-wise, the Gong, shipped to the US is not cheaper than a used foil. So if you live where there are used foils or can source them, that's best. I'm seeing good foils for almost or under what I paid.

However, I got 2 masts and if I want to add a wing, they are far cheaper, even with shipping, than most. I'm not sure Gong will stay as competitive in the states unless their numbers here justify storing them and shipping them from a US fulfillment center. (Amazon?) But let's not tank the US foil market just yet, right?

Also, I'm anxious to compare this to other foils. And then I'm almost certain to buy a high aspect wing before long. (Once I learn to surf this thing.) If they keep iterating like they've done with the Wind Wings then they should be able to compete for sure.

Watch this space for how long #foilbrain takes to take hold and I have 3 of these things lol.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2020, 11:34:42 PM »
Already have about 2 months on a Gong XL pro (mostly winging). Rode the standard Gong XL twice but IMHO the Standard Gong hydrofoil wings are just draggy and slow compared to the pro versions without much low end advantage. The Al masts are definitely flexi, the rig is heavy, the front wing/fuselage fit is a wee bit loose in my case (easily fixed), but I still think it’s a excellent value for a first SUP/wing foil rig.

I also have a Moses 790 rig (along with a W1100 wing and 82cm mast showing up next week :) ). Moses is much lighter and  stiffer,... and higher $ as you’d expect. The 790 is fast and carvy without any of the mast wobble. I’ll probably put the Gong rig up for sale at an attractive price if I like the 1100. I already use the Moses 633 for kite foiling so for me it’s a easy upgrade choice =>  less repetitive gear.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 09:08:11 PM »
Obx thx man. Yeah I actually was just about to post up the weights and such. Interesting to know what a Naish weights, for example.

On mine the wing/fuse connect seems tight but mast/fuse connect needs shimming.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2020, 07:18:32 PM »
Went out for my get my feet wet paddle today, just paddling to feel the foil, no waves. It was strange and nerve wracking at first but actually, once I got all the nightmares from here and other beginners out of my head, it was pretty fun.

Hard to paddle straight without fins, but I managed. Getting in and out was easier than I’d worried about. It’s actually pretty well behaved as long as you follow the usual rules. About the same hassle as my original 30”x10’6” SUP (big for my size.)

Once I wore out and paddled in, I dropped my paddle and leash and took it out in the shallows to see the thing fly. I pushed it back and forth and was mesmerized by being able to push it and have it take off and cruise a few feet without me. After a few passes, I did some hop ons on my belly and felt the lift. Physics... unbelievable.

I’m off to San Diego next week, I’ll get some boat time and probably start paddling into baby waves, if there any. If not, I’ll paddle in the marina and surf my foamie in decent waves. It’s started. 

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2020, 07:44:38 PM »
So I've been running the Gong XL (old school) on my 6'0 Blue Planet Easy Foiler prone board (69L) for the last few weeks. Its mostly been waist high or less out a White Plains: 1ft, 10 sec or so. I'm in the 200 lbs.+ club. So easy, so much fun. You can take off on the rollers with the longboarders and just go forever. I haven't been able to pump back out for a second wave, but have been able to pump through flat sections and double ups. I haven't been doing any hard turns or anything, maybe I'll realize how limited I am when I move to something higher performance, but I certainly feel like I got my money's worth.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:47:20 PM by exiled »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal