Author Topic: Gong Allvator - Review thread  (Read 2693 times)

Wetstuff

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Gong Allvator - Review thread
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2020, 07:19:17 AM »
Cowboy,  ...perhaps posted earlier. "just paddling to feel the foil, no waves."   What board were you on and how do you tip the scales?  Thanks. 

Jim
Sunova Skate XL .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2020, 10:00:38 AM »
7í4Ē x 29Ē Simmons SUP. Iím early 50ís 5í8Ē and a strapping 140lbs.

Didnít get any lift while paddling but man, when going through small waves, the suck out will tip you pretty hard sideways pulling on the foil. That was cool to feel.

Also, I wanted to get used to the secondary stability. Itís pretty good but I also was mindful to bail when it tipped a bit, just to train myself to not try to fix things and get away for when I start to foil waves.

Seeing how slow it flies I canít wait to get behind the boat.

Fishman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2020, 07:52:44 AM »
I drilled the holes for my old wings to secure better to fuselage like the newer fuselage and pro clear wings now come. I didn't see any details on the Gong forum and the translation isn't always the best, so...

You can buy a a Drill Bushing 5mm outside diameter, with a 2mm inside diameter. The bushing slips in the threaded hole and allows you to drill a perfect hole and protect your threads. 

*Assemble the wing to the fuselage. Take out rear screw while front screw is still tight holding it together, insert the bushing and drill the 2mm hole pilot hole through the fuselage and wing.
*Dismantle. Then back side drill the fuselage with 5mm just deep enough not to touch the threads.
*Run tap from the threaded front side, all the way through.  Taps are a little fragile so do this slowly back and forth not to break the tap.
* Drill the wing's pilot hole form 2mm to 6mm then counter sink. (countersink just the minimal amount)

I found 6mm cap screws x 12mm long, work good for the top screw.  (6mm x 16mm are to long and bottom out before tightening)

https://www.mcmaster.com/press-fit-drill-bushings 
(longer is better if you can find one longer and they have different Inside diameter if you don't have a 2mm bit.)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RKKJGNF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(if you know were to a kit like this with High torque bits post a link)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KSEIEY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Fishman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2020, 07:56:51 AM »
7í4Ē x 29Ē Simmons SUP. Iím early 50ís 5í8Ē and a strapping 140lbs.

Didnít get any lift while paddling but man, when going through small waves, the suck out will tip you pretty hard sideways pulling on the foil. That was cool to feel.

Also, I wanted to get used to the secondary stability. Itís pretty good but I also was mindful to bail when it tipped a bit, just to train myself to not try to fix things and get away for when I start to foil waves.

Seeing how slow it flies I canít wait to get behind the boat.
Looking forward to hearing how the XL wing works for a 140lbs guy.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2020, 01:44:09 AM »
Fishman, thanks for the drill bushing tip. Iíve got the newer on so Iíll just have to drill the wing but a bushing will help me keep it centered and true.

Iím expecting the XL to be a lot of wing for me and to only use it while learning or in small waves (one of my main drivers.) but Iím resigned to a quiver of wings lol