Author Topic: Mounting hardware for easy foiler?  (Read 3680 times)

bstein

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Mounting hardware for easy foiler?
« on: January 05, 2020, 07:44:40 AM »
Hi,
Totally noobie question. I purchased a blue planet easy foiler, but can’t find anything online about what size hardware I need to mount my foil to it? M8 or M6? What length bolts?

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: Mounting hardware for easy foiler?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 08:14:24 AM »
Here is the manual that includes the bolt sizes needed:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j3eM_5fDkJD_xtp1AX2cAKcXwbwNb6f8/view

and the assembly instructions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsP4jOD4xE

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

bstein

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 08:56:13 AM »
Hi Robert,
Thanks for the quick response. This isn’t quite what I am looking for. I have an easy foiler board and want to attached a plate mount foil to it. What hardware do I need for connecting it to the tracks?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 10:59:48 AM »
The FoilMount "Wizard Hat" hardware is probably the easiest, and most universal foil plate mounting hardware out there...IMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFpLPpEz9w

With its nuts being on the top instead of in the mast track (fin box), it prevents the possibility of screwing the bolts right through or cracking the lower box should you get an 6mm or 8mm stainless bolt that is too long....the size of the holes of the mounting plate will also help dictate 6 or 8mm (even though I have used 6mm on top of 8mm holes with no problem).

However, to answer your question directly, when I was using the typical T-nut/bolt combo (having used both the 6mm & 8mm sizes), depending on the brand of box, and thickness of the mounting plate, and whether I was using shims or not...the typical lengths were either 25mm (≈ 1") or 30mm (≈ 1.125").

EDIT: Almost forgot to let you in on the secret....instead of paying $45 as advertised on the FoilMount site as linked above, go here and get the "Wizard Hat" hardware, and a package of shims that you just might find you need later (and that they sell for $34 on their site)...both for only $31 w/one-day free shipping.  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:23:08 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 12:49:16 PM »
Standard mount is T nuts, I recommend brass ones to use with stainless hardware. The stainless ones can gall and lock onto stainless bolts. I recommend 8MM even if your plate mount is drilled for 6MM. You can easily drill it larger. If your plate has countersunk holes get stainless countersunk bolts, otherwise Panhead, preferably Torx, but Allen works OK. #3 Phillips only if you don't have a decent bolt supplier.

The length required varies with the plate used.

To find the length required you should put any 8M bolt into the T nut and count the number of turns required for full engagement. Then put the plate on the board, screw a long 8MM bolt through the plate hole into the T nut the number of turns you counted. Pull up on the bolt and mark the intersection of the bolt and plate. Measure that length. The gap from the bottom of the T-nut to the bottom of the track varies, but the T nut is pulled up against the top of the track slot, so even if you're off a little you won't hit bottom.

I'm more than a bit of a fussbudget about hardware, 50 years of motor racing will do that to a person. I've drilled and tapped all my GoFoil masts to 8MM. I cut most of my sundry bolts and nuts to the proper length and chamfer the cut end. I apply teflon-based anti-seize to all stainless hardware to avoid galling. That's even more important if you have Titanium hardware. SAE says five turns are full engagement for most fasteners, though for anything going into aluminum I consider the more, the merrier as long as it doesn't bottom.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:52:13 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bstein

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 10:59:33 AM »
Many thanks SanoSlatchSup and Pono Bill! Your answers address my two main concerns - accidentally punching a hole in my brand new board and parts seizing. I have a slingshot fsup foil mount plate so after more googling it sounds like m8 25mm will work but will definitely use PonoBill’s method to ensure they don’t poke through.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »
Many thanks SanoSlatchSup and Pono Bill! Your answers address my two main concerns - accidentally punching a hole in my brand new board and parts seizing. I have a slingshot fsup foil mount plate so after more googling it sounds like m8 25mm will work but will definitely use PonoBill’s method to ensure they don’t poke through.
Yes, as that is what Slingshot calls for. Good luck, and have fun!!
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 12:54:25 PM »
I will never use brass nut's after a few of mine had crack and split. I now use steel nut by foil mount and they also make brass version that maybe I might use someday.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 03:18:44 PM »
I will never use brass nut's after a few of mine had crack and split.

The problem wasn’t the brass, but all the new Chinese companies getting into foiling and building crap.

Brass nuts have been in use windsurfing for 30 years without issues. Using one single brass nut to jump 20 feet high without failure.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 10:43:14 AM »
I will never use brass nut's after a few of mine had crack and split. I now use steel nut by foil mount and they also make brass version that maybe I might use someday.

You'll never use steel ones if you have one gall and need to drill it out. I use superb anti-seize religiously (Easter and Christmas) and have still had a few lock up to the degree that it took far more torque to unscrew than to screw in. Without anti-seize they can essentially weld--no hope of turning them out. I've taken a few out of friends' boards for them--no fun without the right tools. A brass nut would have to be complete crap to split at the torque you can apply to a track.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 12:44:10 PM »
I will never use brass nut's after a few of mine had crack and split.

The problem wasn’t the brass, but all the new Chinese companies getting into foiling and building crap.

Brass nuts have been in use windsurfing for 30 years without issues. Using one single brass nut to jump 20 feet high without failure.

roger that and I will try the foilmount brass someday as other brass I don't trust after a few blowout.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 09:30:42 AM »
If you still need this, we sell the plate mounting hardware.  The length of the bolts needed depends on the thickness of your plate mount and I agree with Bill that M8 bolt size is the way to go.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 09:59:45 AM »
Incidentally, I had to file some "steel" T nuts last night to get them to fit my new board. These came with my Axis foil and my brass T nut supply has dwindled somehow. A few strokes of the file revealed brass! Apparently nickel plated. They looked like stainless. WTF???

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal