Author Topic: GoFoil GL140  (Read 22770 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: GoFoil GL140
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2020, 04:29:27 PM »
I could do it for you tonight - but I'll be honest I'm not sure quite what you're looking for.  Are you trying to figure out the profile of the trailing edge?

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2020, 03:59:44 AM »
Thanks Jondrums,  I've been using the H 105 wing segment profile (Tom Speers, sailing dingy hydrofoil) for my high aspect wings and gotta say, I like it.  its fast!  I have yet to see a GL wing in person and I think they are probably similar.  I was curious about this and even though the masking tape trick does not reveal much, it does indicate a general wing segment shape.  Kinda like the perpendicular white stripes on the Armstrong foils.  These stripes just help one appreciate the general shape of the foil, top and bottom, nose and trailing edge.  Especially when viewed from a side angle. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 04:03:30 AM by SUPeter »

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2020, 09:20:49 PM »
hope this helps

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2020, 10:15:37 AM »
Thanks Jondrums!  This confirms what I was already thinking.  Very similar to a H105 profile with a modified (more blunt) leading edge.  Convex top (obviously) and convex bottom.  Super sexy and fast.   14-15% thickness to cord ratio( can't tell that by the pictures)  .  Just trying to wrap my head around the science and art of foil design. 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2020, 12:31:21 PM »
Aren't all these airfoils well documented? 

Here is a NACA website.  It would seem that people could identify the most similar profile quickly.

The GL series is pretty fantastic but we are still early in the evolution.  So I am confident things will get better in the future even if at a slower clip.  There will likely be a split with regards to discipline.  Similar to why kitefoils never worked for surfing.  They were too knifey and fast for the SLOW conditions we ride in the surf.  e.g. really fast surf conditions are 20 to 24 mph.  I think these are slower numbers for kitefoilers.

http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/naca4digit

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2020, 05:10:53 AM »
Thanks Beasho,  Just saw this.  I have used this very profile.  The largest difference between this profile and the profile of the GL 140 is the topmost point in the upper curve is moved significantly further back in the GL wing versus the NACA 2412.  GL series wings use almost a symmetrical portion of a circle versus the typical , more curve forward, design of the NACA series.  Does it matter?  Who knows and probably not.  Look at the Signature wings.  Very traditional foil pattern and they seem to rock.   

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2020, 09:44:22 AM »
Thanks Beasho,  you gave me a good idea!   I just went to airfoil tools and using there NACA 4 digit generator tool I just moved the position of max camber back to 60 instead of 40.  Now that's what I needed.  looks better.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal