Author Topic: GoFoil GL140  (Read 22721 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: GoFoil GL140
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2020, 06:55:32 PM »
I’m with Beasho on this PonoBill.

The GL, the Axis 1000, 1010, all ride with the same foot positions as the older wings.

These are faster wings, with higher stall speeds. Ride them as designed, they work the same. Don’t compensate for the higher stall speed by trimming them at stall, with excessive weight back. Easy to fall into that trap, probably, when you’re a heavy dude.

Also, there is no way Alex, or Adrian, would design wings with radically different foot positions. That’s just dumb. Especially with the Tuttle crew.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2020, 07:10:49 PM »
Its interesting how there are 2 different points of view on foot placement. I bet it all has to do with the level of wave power.
What size mast are you on Beasho ?

I think it has more to do with how fat we are. I'm the elephant in the room. Where I put my foot determines whether or not I can get up and where I can trim the board flat. Both Basho and DW have more experience and skill than I do, but I know what works for me. My front foot is about two inches further back with a GL (240 or 210) than with the Iwa and M200, and a little less than an inch further back with the 101 vs the 102. I don't currently use foot straps because at my skill level I need to move my front foot too frequently, especially with a wing.

When I switch from GL to Iwa or M200 I'm guaranteed to have a bunch of launches during take off because I have my foot too far back. Likewise, for the GL after some low aspect wing sessions, I have problems lifting off until I get my front foot back where it belongs.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:14:22 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2020, 08:30:24 AM »
Its interesting how there are 2 different points of view on foot placement. I bet it all has to do with the level of wave power.
What size mast are you on Beasho ?
I think more has to do with their different board sizes than there being any real difference in the foot placement.

Derek is on a board at least a two feet shorter (4'7" from what I've been told) than from what I remember Beasho saying he rode, and therefore what looks like Derek being further back on his board...is simply that his mast is at the very back of his board much like the prone guys' boards to give the appearance that the front foot is much further back. My bet is that their rear foot placement over the mast and their front foot/strap placement width wise is going to be relatively the same...comparatively to their different leg/stance lengths.

Btw, when I said I moved my mast forward 2", my foot/strap placement never changed. And yes, I agree with Beasho, the GLs don't breech as easily as the others, or at least they'll let you know before they do. However....

I also agree with JEG that...
The GL210 does need a bit of juice and I find 1-1.5ft waves sux with no lift what so ever and this were you need the IWA, M200 and M280 according to your weight. These high aspect wings can be tricky to ride on smallest waves if you don't have the experience. The low aspect wings are great when you need more lift but get ready at high speed were it buck you out quicker than you can think. The high aspect wings are great at high speed once you get use to blur speed  8)
...and that they're not the best wings to learn on. Kind of like learning to drive...you don't jump in the Ferrari and mash the accelerator pedal right away. You start in something a little bit more forgiving, and only climb in the Ferrari once you've learned to accelerate, control, and keep your first vehicle safe through the turns.  :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2020, 02:10:35 PM »
The other thing is to make sure you're home alone when the Fed-Ex guy shows up.

GL140 - Wingspan = 32"the exact same as the GoFoil IWA (RED for those out of the loop).

Chord at Center = 6.5"

Going to test right now.

Beasho, what the thickness like with GL140 compare to IWA?

I'm looking forward to what they say about the new wing tip tail as I'm guessing this will improve the yaw stability and bite/drive/turn combine with the current gofoil LA and HA wings.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2020, 11:04:06 PM »
For what its worth, I have tactile pads on my deck for foot-placement and can get my feet in exactly the same place everytime.  I haven't had to adjust placement at all from cut-tail IWA/M200 to GL210/140.    The bigger difference was when I cut the maliko tail down, I had to move my front foot back just a bit - maybe an inch.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2020, 03:16:35 PM »
JONDRUMS - You have a GL140?  It would be good to hear your perspective.

With regards to the Center of Lift on any wing it is at the 25% Chord location.  100 years ago people DIED because they thought the lift point was at the Center of the Chord a wings ripped off airframes because the spars we BEHIND THE CENTER OF LIFT.  Twisting sheared off the wings . . . . eventually they figured it out.  Like Bernoulli's its more empirical than intuitive.   

Measuring the GL140 vs GL210 it is clear that Alex Aguerra meant to keep the center of lift IN THE EXACT Same spot.

Shown below the leading edge of the wing in 8" from the butt end of the mount position.  Moving BACK 25% of the chord length
  • 6.5" for the GL140  --> 1.625"
  • 7.5" for the GL210  --> 1.875"

The center of LIFT is therefore within 1/4 of an INCH on these two wings aka  NO-CHANGE.

The only thing that can effect PITCHING moment is therefore the Rider, the Tail and the Speed of travel.  A lot of variables but the center of lift, independent of the tail,

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2020, 11:28:00 AM »
I’m pretty sure the center of lift is about 25% of the MAC, not just the chord at the center or root of the wing. Think swept wings, which most wings are...high aspect having less sweep vs low aspect foil wings. I do agree that they would try to keep the center of lift in roughly the same location so as to keep the setup ridable without major changes.

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2020, 12:49:41 PM »
Gaznuts was on my GL210 with his Swing Wing 5m, 20 mph wind. He said he kept his feet in the same position as the regular Go Foil wings.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2020, 01:19:04 PM »
Gaznuts was on my GL210 with his Swing Wing 5m, 20 mph wind. He said he kept his feet in the same position as the regular Go Foil wings.
Yep, Paul was kind enough to let me run his gl210 with regular maliko tail. I didn’t change my foot positioning at all. Nice wing with good lift for my 170lbs.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2020, 10:47:00 AM »
For you guys running the GL140 - what are you finding is the low end (2' faces???).  There is a lot of internet documentation and discussion here to see the top end is more limited by what the rider is willing to do.  Just curious on the other side (what conditions are too small).

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2020, 03:24:34 PM »
yes Beasho, I have the 140.  However, I can't make a good review of it yet because I've committed myself to only going out on the prone board until I get good at prone foiling.  I'm not yet any good at all, but I am up and flying.  The 140 is great, and worked fine even in small mushy waves - very efficient and fast.  It does feel quite a bit more loose as compared with the 210 on a SUP, but that could also be the tiny prone board causing that rather than the 140.  I haven't had enough time on the prone+210 to make a comparison, so I'm not useful unfortunately.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2020, 05:28:51 PM »
yes Beasho, I have the 140.  However, I can't make a good review of it yet because I've committed myself to only going out on the prone board until I get good at prone foiling.  I'm not yet any good at all, but I am up and flying.  The 140 is great, and worked fine even in small mushy waves - very efficient and fast.  It does feel quite a bit more loose as compared with the 210 on a SUP, but that could also be the tiny prone board causing that rather than the 140.  I haven't had enough time on the prone+210 to make a comparison, so I'm not useful unfortunately.

I'd be using the Kai rear wing with the GL140 on your prone , makes life alot easier gets very Skatey with the flat rear.
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2020, 07:42:52 PM »
I'd be using the Kai rear wing with the GL140 on your prone , makes life alot easier gets very Skatey with the flat rear.
Was just thinking about this the other day, when I finally got a decent enough swell to throw the 140 on...and also found it to be "skatey" or loosy goosy as I mentioned to a friend who inquired about it.

Good to hear that the Kai tail will firm things up a bit, because while it was a bit of a challenge...I did like the 140's speed, and responsiveness.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2020, 11:25:19 AM »
Yeah, skatey is exactly how I would describe it (and not in a good way).  I'm in line for the new gofoil tail design.  I'll probably keep holding out for that and live with it until then.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2020, 10:33:26 AM »
Hi Beasho,   Judging by your pics, foiling has been very good to you.  Mav's seems like the perfect spot for big and long rides.  If you ever get bored and end up with some free time, do me a favor and satisfy my curiosity.  Run some masking tape perpendicular to the rear edge(near center of wing) of your GL wings, top and bottom.  Send me a picture of top and bottom, as seen from the side.  I would like to compare my wing segments with yours.   If this makes sense to you, thanks in advance.  Happy foiling!  Stay well!

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM