Author Topic: GoFoil GL140  (Read 2949 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: GoFoil GL140
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 11:09:28 AM »
One of the advantages of blue paint--it's not wife-proof if they're into the stuff themselves, but otherwise...

A friend of mine had a collection of Little Brtish Cars (LBC). Whenever he bought another it went straight to the painter to be painted Primrose, which oddly enough is a pale yellow. He kept his cars in a purpose-built barn parked in a chevron pattern, and when he added another it went to the back. He claimed she never knew that his collection went from 6 to 12. I suspect she did from the timing of her trips to San Francisco to buy expensive clothing. She had a weakness for really formal-looking stuff with lots of gold trim. She often looked like a navy admiral at the strangest times--like during lunch at their house. I had to suppress the urge to salute. But I digress.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supunk

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2020, 06:40:20 AM »
Hi Sano. You have a great collection. Would be very interested to hear what the wingspan and chord are on the 140? Cheers :)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 07:42:09 AM »
One of the advantages of blue paint--it's not wife-proof if they're into the stuff themselves, but otherwise...

A friend of mine had a collection of Little Brtish Cars (LBC). Whenever he bought another it went straight to the painter to be painted Primrose, which oddly enough is a pale yellow. He kept his cars in a purpose-built barn parked in a chevron pattern, and when he added another it went to the back. He claimed she never knew that his collection went from 6 to 12. I suspect she did from the timing of her trips to San Francisco to buy expensive clothing. She had a weakness for really formal-looking stuff with lots of gold trim. She often looked like a navy admiral at the strangest times--like during lunch at their house. I had to suppress the urge to salute. But I digress.

Kind of Confusing but I think you're saying:

ALL THE FOILS ARE THE SAME BLUE SO THE WIFE WILL NOT KNOW YOU BOUGHT A NEW ONE

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2020, 07:47:15 AM »
The other thing is to make sure you're home alone when the Fed-Ex guy shows up.

GL140 - Wingspan = 32"the exact same as the GoFoil IWA (RED for those out of the loop).

Chord at Center = 6.5"

Going to test right now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:50:15 AM by Beasho »

SanoSlatchSup

• Peahi Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2020, 08:29:36 AM »
Drool!  Well the question is whether the wife could tell the two apart if they weren't side by side... ;)  Does Go Foil use a US distributor?  I always figured they had a two-tier system...
I don't know the specifics, but my first Go Foil set I got directly through talking to Karla, and shipped directly to me from the factory in China. When the GLs came out however long ago, a buddy called Karla again to order a pair of them a couple weeks before leaving for HI, and she directed him to call some guy in CO.

After a couple calls with no response from him, and since he was concerned the shipping window was slipping away, he decided to just go to HI w/o them, and see if he could find some there...which he did at HI-Tech I believe he said was the name of the shop.

When I went looking for the 180, a buddy I foil with owns Kikau Kai Waterman in Hermosa Beach who's a GF dealer, but he has to order through whomever in CO also, and where the communication breakdown happened, and how I ended up with the 140...instead of my other buddy getting his 18W/pedestal. Not complaining though...a bummer for my bud (who's getting his 18W shipped directly to his house), but a "SCORE!" for me. :P

Btw, the wife could tell them apart (note: don't leave new wings sitting next to each other), but I told her the newer one was her valentines day gift to me, and how much I loved her for it....she's a softy romantic, and was thrilled I was so happy with it (thank goodness for holidays and lucky timing ;D).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:56:49 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/200...6'0" Chelu Foil Boards...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...9'6" Costa Azul Wide Body...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm for when proning urges still hit, and 7'3" Chuck Glynn foil board backup.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 12:17:08 PM »
The other thing is to make sure you're home alone when the Fed-Ex guy shows up.

GL140 - Wingspan = 32"the exact same as the GoFoil IWA (RED for those out of the loop).

Chord at Center = 6.5"

Going to test right now.

Thanks for the pics Beasho.

The GL140 makes up more span at the wing tip and less at the centre. Technically I have no idea what these changes will do but judging from the vids it rips.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 02:31:46 PM »
OK!  GL140 Works.

Conditions:  Buoys started out 10 ft @ 17 seconds then went 12 @ 14 Seconds.  BOOMING!

However Mavericks was NOT breaking so I figured it would be good at Mushroom.  It was breaking all over place outside of Mushroom Rock aka BIG just not Mavericks big.

I hug the rock and took off on my first wave ~ 10 foot face.  I went so fast I freaked out and jump off the board.  I thought the wing was going to breach BUT IT DIDN'T.  It was all in my head.

A few more rides, some 300 yarders, and I am convinced this will will carry even at 190 lbs. 

Here were a couple of waves but at the end of the session I was a bit wobbly. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2020, 06:57:57 PM »

Kind of Confusing but I think you're saying:

ALL THE FOILS ARE THE SAME BLUE SO THE WIFE WILL NOT KNOW YOU BOUGHT A NEW ONE

Yes, that would be a reasonable summary, though it would be better is they were Primrose.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
OK!  GL140 Works.

Conditions:  Buoys started out 10 ft @ 17 seconds then went 12 @ 14 Seconds.  BOOMING!

However Mavericks was NOT breaking so I figured it would be good at Mushroom.  It was breaking all over place outside of Mushroom Rock aka BIG just not Mavericks big.

I hug the rock and took off on my first wave ~ 10 foot face.  I went so fast I freaked out and jump off the board.  I thought the wing was going to breach BUT IT DIDN'T.  It was all in my head.

A few more rides, some 300 yarders, and I am convinced this will will carry even at 190 lbs. 

Here were a couple of waves but at the end of the session I was a bit wobbly. 

sounds like a fast front wing and controlling the speed is a learning curve. Would be interesting to see your feedback on the not so beastly waves, like 2-3ft size.