Author Topic: GoFoil GL140  (Read 22781 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: GoFoil GL140
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 11:09:28 AM »
One of the advantages of blue paint--it's not wife-proof if they're into the stuff themselves, but otherwise...

A friend of mine had a collection of Little Brtish Cars (LBC). Whenever he bought another it went straight to the painter to be painted Primrose, which oddly enough is a pale yellow. He kept his cars in a purpose-built barn parked in a chevron pattern, and when he added another it went to the back. He claimed she never knew that his collection went from 6 to 12. I suspect she did from the timing of her trips to San Francisco to buy expensive clothing. She had a weakness for really formal-looking stuff with lots of gold trim. She often looked like a navy admiral at the strangest times--like during lunch at their house. I had to suppress the urge to salute. But I digress.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2020, 06:40:20 AM »
Hi Sano. You have a great collection. Would be very interested to hear what the wingspan and chord are on the 140? Cheers :)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 07:42:09 AM »
One of the advantages of blue paint--it's not wife-proof if they're into the stuff themselves, but otherwise...

A friend of mine had a collection of Little Brtish Cars (LBC). Whenever he bought another it went straight to the painter to be painted Primrose, which oddly enough is a pale yellow. He kept his cars in a purpose-built barn parked in a chevron pattern, and when he added another it went to the back. He claimed she never knew that his collection went from 6 to 12. I suspect she did from the timing of her trips to San Francisco to buy expensive clothing. She had a weakness for really formal-looking stuff with lots of gold trim. She often looked like a navy admiral at the strangest times--like during lunch at their house. I had to suppress the urge to salute. But I digress.

Kind of Confusing but I think you're saying:

ALL THE FOILS ARE THE SAME BLUE SO THE WIFE WILL NOT KNOW YOU BOUGHT A NEW ONE

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2020, 07:47:15 AM »
The other thing is to make sure you're home alone when the Fed-Ex guy shows up.

GL140 - Wingspan = 32"the exact same as the GoFoil IWA (RED for those out of the loop).

Chord at Center = 6.5"

Going to test right now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:50:15 AM by Beasho »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2020, 08:29:36 AM »
Drool!  Well the question is whether the wife could tell the two apart if they weren't side by side... ;)  Does Go Foil use a US distributor?  I always figured they had a two-tier system...
I don't know the specifics, but my first Go Foil set I got directly through talking to Karla, and shipped directly to me from the factory in China. When the GLs came out however long ago, a buddy called Karla again to order a pair of them a couple weeks before leaving for HI, and she directed him to call some guy in CO.

After a couple calls with no response from him, and since he was concerned the shipping window was slipping away, he decided to just go to HI w/o them, and see if he could find some there...which he did at HI-Tech I believe he said was the name of the shop.

When I went looking for the 180, a buddy I foil with owns Kikau Kai Waterman in Hermosa Beach who's a GF dealer, but he has to order through whomever in CO also, and where the communication breakdown happened, and how I ended up with the 140...instead of my other buddy getting his 18W/pedestal. Not complaining though...a bummer for my bud (who's getting his 18W shipped directly to his house), but a "SCORE!" for me. :P

Btw, the wife could tell them apart (note: don't leave new wings sitting next to each other), but I told her the newer one was her valentines day gift to me, and how much I loved her for it....she's a softy romantic, and was thrilled I was so happy with it (thank goodness for holidays and lucky timing ;D).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:56:49 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 12:17:08 PM »
The other thing is to make sure you're home alone when the Fed-Ex guy shows up.

GL140 - Wingspan = 32"the exact same as the GoFoil IWA (RED for those out of the loop).

Chord at Center = 6.5"

Going to test right now.

Thanks for the pics Beasho.

The GL140 makes up more span at the wing tip and less at the centre. Technically I have no idea what these changes will do but judging from the vids it rips.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 02:31:46 PM »
OK!  GL140 Works.

Conditions:  Buoys started out 10 ft @ 17 seconds then went 12 @ 14 Seconds.  BOOMING!

However Mavericks was NOT breaking so I figured it would be good at Mushroom.  It was breaking all over place outside of Mushroom Rock aka BIG just not Mavericks big.

I hug the rock and took off on my first wave ~ 10 foot face.  I went so fast I freaked out and jump off the board.  I thought the wing was going to breach BUT IT DIDN'T.  It was all in my head.

A few more rides, some 300 yarders, and I am convinced this will will carry even at 190 lbs. 

Here were a couple of waves but at the end of the session I was a bit wobbly. 

https://youtu.be/NHKceG0iH3Y

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2020, 06:57:57 PM »

Kind of Confusing but I think you're saying:

ALL THE FOILS ARE THE SAME BLUE SO THE WIFE WILL NOT KNOW YOU BOUGHT A NEW ONE

Yes, that would be a reasonable summary, though it would be better is they were Primrose.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
OK!  GL140 Works.

Conditions:  Buoys started out 10 ft @ 17 seconds then went 12 @ 14 Seconds.  BOOMING!

However Mavericks was NOT breaking so I figured it would be good at Mushroom.  It was breaking all over place outside of Mushroom Rock aka BIG just not Mavericks big.

I hug the rock and took off on my first wave ~ 10 foot face.  I went so fast I freaked out and jump off the board.  I thought the wing was going to breach BUT IT DIDN'T.  It was all in my head.

A few more rides, some 300 yarders, and I am convinced this will will carry even at 190 lbs. 

Here were a couple of waves but at the end of the session I was a bit wobbly. 

https://youtu.be/NHKceG0iH3Y

sounds like a fast front wing and controlling the speed is a learning curve. Would be interesting to see your feedback on the not so beastly waves, like 2-3ft size.

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2020, 07:29:18 PM »
Im struggling with my GL 210 wing & put it aside till i could find more powerful surf. Do you guys recommend the tall or short mast for the GL wings??

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2020, 08:42:59 AM »
Im struggling with my GL 210 wing & put it aside till i could find more powerful surf. Do you guys recommend the tall or short mast for the GL wings??
I really like the Go Foil 29" mast in an adapter for an approximate 32" overall length. Now as far a needing "more powerful surf" for the GL210...I'm riding the GL180 in sadly, 2-3' mush at the moment, but having a blast with it.

What I did find, was that I had to move the mast up forwards almost 2" from where I had it with the Iwa, and it's working great...lifting easy on takeoffs, and as controllable and manageable once in flight very much like the Iwa, just a somewhat different in feel that takes a bit of getting used to...which brings me to....

The only slight negative is that the 180 doesn't seem to want to turn as easily as the Iwa. But that too seems to be as much "the archer and not the arrow" right now; as the more time on the water I get with it the more I'm learning just how far I can push it, and that it just responds a little differently than the Iwa coming out of turns that I have to get used to...not so much that it doesn't want to turn....as Derek Hamasaki is a great example that it turns just fine thank you :) ).
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2020, 12:43:54 PM »

I really like the Go Foil 29" mast in an adapter for an approximate 32" overall length. Now as far a needing "more powerful surf" for the GL210...I'm riding the GL180 in sadly, 2-3' mush at the moment, but having a blast with it.

What I did find, was that I had to move the mast up forwards almost 2" from where I had it with the Iwa, and it's working great...lifting easy on takeoffs, and as controllable and manageable once in flight very much like the Iwa, just a somewhat different in feel that takes a bit of getting used to...which brings me to....

The only slight negative is that the 180 doesn't seem to want to turn as easily as the Iwa. But that too seems to be as much "the archer and not the arrow" right now; as the more time on the water I get with it the more I'm learning just how far I can push it, and that it just responds a little differently than the Iwa coming out of turns that I have to get used to...not so much that it doesn't want to turn....as Derek Hamasaki is a great example that it turns just fine thank you :) ).

The GL210 does need a bit of juice and I find 1-1.5ft waves sux with no lift what so ever and this were you need the IWA, M200 and M280 according to your weight. These high aspect wings can be tricky to ride on smallest waves if you don't have the experience. The low aspect wings are great when you need more lift but get ready at high speed were it buck you out quicker than you can think. The high aspect wings are great at high speed once you get use to blur speed  8)

Derek is super light weight and have tons of foil skills and he lean over with paddle to turn and if I do that I would fall  ;D and he makes HA wings look easy.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:46:13 PM by JEG »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2020, 06:07:49 PM »
Derek is a really cool dude. He was here on Maui for a few days. I didn't know him by sight, but I was watching some guys foil from the breakwall and I said to the guy next to me--I think it was Chris P.--"that guy foils like Derek Hamasaki".

He said, "That's because it is Derek Hamasaki."

I had a brief conversation with him, but I was nearly incoherent. I didn't know what to say to a guy that foils like that.

But look where his front foot is. My take on the GL, as with the axis high aspect wings, is that wherever you have your front footstrap, it's too far forward. the center of lift is way back.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 06:20:58 PM by PonoBill »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2020, 06:38:01 PM »
My take on the GL, as with the axis high aspect wings, is that wherever you have your front footstrap, it's too far forward. the center of lift is way back.

My experience has been that the center of lift for all the GoFoils has been in the exact same place.  I have NOT had to move my front footstrap.  Works for the M200, IWA, GL210 and now GL140.  In fact I haven't had the inclination to pull my front foot back with the GL140.  Rides go 300 yards with my hair on fire no need to pump further. 

I have been pushing the GL140 into BIG stuff.  When I say big I mean NO ONE ELSE IS DOING THIS.  Sure there are pictures of Laird and others foiling 30+ footers but I was taking off yesterday on 15 foot faces with my SUP.  The good news is that the GL140 stays DOWN.  I was hitting 24 and 26 mph and the foil never breached, not once.  Its giving me 3 more feet of confidence.

I was out again today in 20 knots of wind.  All alone in 9 to 12 foot surf every ride over 21 mph.  Never breached.  Never crashed.  Unbelievable.  So much fun it should be illegal.  Yet NO ONE ELSE WAS OUT WITH ME.   Other than Kristi on her Kayak with a foil.  She eventually said give me your GoPro and I will film. 

Looked like this.  I am calling this spot "CanonBalls."  It was dead high tide.  It took a combination of Big Swell and whitecap KICKER to get in. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 06:42:17 PM by Beasho »

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2020, 06:53:12 PM »
Its interesting how there are 2 different points of view on foot placement. I bet it all has to do with the level of wave power.
What size mast are you on Beasho ?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal