Author Topic: Strange bulge on new iSUP, is this normal?  (Read 5541 times)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Strange bulge on new iSUP, is this normal?
« on: January 11, 2020, 05:43:49 PM »
Happy New Year Zoners,

I recently purchased brand new iGo Starboard in 10'8". When I inflated it for the first time I noticed that there is a bulge next to the inflating valve and the valve has a bigger gap between the valve and the material it welded into - just on one side. It looks like a defect to me (my few years old SIC doesn't show anything like that). I was even afraid to inflate the board to max allowed pressure and stopped as 15 psi (18 max). Not sure what to do at this point. I like the board, but concern about the possibility of a valve and decking material separation.

Here are a few pics. Not sure how serious it looks in pics...

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Strange bulge on new iSUP, is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 05:45:20 PM »
Couple more pics

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 06:04:49 AM »
Here is what you do: contact the people you bought it from, and ask them. Failing that, ask Starboard themselves. Then after you have exhausted all avenues in that direction, maybe then the zone might be one place to ask for further information. But I doubt that we can provide a better and faster solution than either the retailer or Starboard, as a first port of call.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 01:03:02 PM »
Here is what you do: contact the people you bought it from, and ask them. Failing that, ask Starboard themselves. Then after you have exhausted all avenues in that direction, maybe then the zone might be one place to ask for further information. But I doubt that we can provide a better and faster solution than either the retailer or Starboard, as a first port of call.

As above. Let the shop and brand help you on this first.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 02:20:24 PM »
Yeah, that’s the plan. I was just wondering if anyone seen anything like that and if it looks like defect.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 02:36:48 PM »
I’ve had a small one on an old Coreban 12’ that I have. It’s not caused anything bad. But if you’re in warranty, deal with it now.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 03:57:07 PM »
Yeah, that’s the plan. I was just wondering if anyone seen anything like that and if it looks like defect.

A bulge like this is usually on the underside of inflatables opposite the valve or a windsurf attachment point. The drop stitch is cut away to make space on the top leaving the bottom unsupported.

https://greenwatersports.com/321/oh-dear-the-red-paddle-co-sup-bubble?ref=17

Being on the top, it looks like it could be a defect but Starboard will know for sure. The valve surround looks standard for inflatables. If the shop can't/doesn't help, head here https://www.tridentsports.com/dealer-resources-support/warranty-claim/ or call Trident on 1-866-929-9626.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 02:35:27 AM »
nope....send it back...the drop stitch...thousands of little.nylon strings inside the board connecting the top to the bottom...is failing....if you inflate it sooner.or.later more and more stitches will fail.and the whole thing will blow out into a giant banana...probably wont pop but you certainly wont be able to stand on it

that used to happen all the time.with the early generation inflatable prone surfboards...back then they had no reinforcement so the only way to.make them stiff enough was with high pressure....the boards required 22psi to keep them from folding in half.in the water and 25 to 28psi to actually surf...but if.you accidentally went to 30.psi and tried to pump down the line on  a wave sometimes it.would.go BOOM!

the valve separation thing is fine
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 02:41:40 AM by steamroller »

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 10:08:26 AM »
It's a defect for sure, no need to ask. TELL your shop you want another or have them arrange to have it shipped to Starboard.  If you bought it online, good luck.

My Red bulged up near basketball size.  First on the deck and then the bottom.  Red said it was a QA issue, but regardless, the glue failed between layers and spots also looked like the drop stitched pulled away (like steamroller said).  In the end, the side seams showed signs of separation and the board  exploded like a bomb, blowing out multiple feet on one side.

While bonded layers and welded seams may be better tech then glue, it's no guarantee that they can't still fail.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal