Author Topic: Mat surfing Doho  (Read 11259 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mat surfing Doho
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 06:09:17 PM »
ha ha, brings back memories of the nip rash that air mattresses gave me when I was 10  ;D
Hahaha!!! Must be a right of passage of all beach loving 10 years olds country wide...because me, and all my buddies bemoaned the same thing 50 years back at Newport, and CDM beaches after spending the whole day on those fun cheese graters.  ;D ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 06:16:22 PM »
beasho? pono?  step away from the foil for one moment......

why are surf mats faster than hard craft??
Who ever said they're the fastest surf craft, let alone against foils is stretching things a bit.  That being said, they are surprisingly fast.  The time I tried them (as mentioned above) they did seem to have a faster down the line speed than a bodyboard.  Not being a physics expert, I really cannot say why.   Regardless they were a lot of fun.

Hi Surf4food

This guy Mark Thompson, an Aussie I think, in this video describes them as the "fastest" surf craft. One of his videos shows him trying to break a speed record but it does not state what his top speed was. Regardless he looks like he was shot out of a cannon and being only a few inches above the water must make the sensation of speed quite intense. The statement he makes however may have been before foils.

All of this has me wondering, what is the fastest speed recorded for a "surf" craft, that is a craft that is only using the energy of the wave and what was the speed recorded? Anyone?

Cheers

Bob

https://youtu.be/0jyaxsL599g
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 06:22:57 PM »
Surf Mat riding tips.

http://www.surfmats.com/riders-guide.html

https://www.matsurfers.com/how-to-ride-a-surfmat

Well those links answer my question about their down the line speed. 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 04:20:09 AM »

All of this has me wondering, what is the fastest speed recorded for a "surf" craft, that is a craft that is only using the energy of the wave and what was the speed recorded? Anyone?

Foils are propelled using only the energy of the wave. They are probably the fastest.

It would not surprise me if surf mats were the fastest planing craft. When those guys are flying, they look like they are skimming across the surface barely touching the water.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 04:27:59 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 04:41:57 AM »

Hi Surf4food

This guy Mark Thompson, an Aussie I think, in this video describes them as the "fastest" surf craft. One of his videos shows him trying to break a speed record but it does not state what his top speed was. Regardless he looks like he was shot out of a cannon and being only a few inches above the water must make the sensation of speed quite intense. The statement he makes however may have been before foils.

It's from 2011 do definitely before foils became the thing they are now.  But yeah the things he are saying are interesting and make a lot of sense.  All the more I really want to try one.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 04:36:37 AM »
I ordered a Forth Gear Flyer. It should be here tomorrow. I went with the Tracker Round Tail.  http://www.surfmats.com/tracker-roundtail.html 

There are so many models to choose from, I didn't know if I got the right one. Very soon after I ordered it, I got an email from Paul Gross saying my mat was on it's way. I should have contacted him beforehand because he seemed more than happy to give advise. Anyway, he said the Tracker R/T should work fine for me and to give it a try.

I also ordered some Churchill Makapuu fins.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CDEXZI?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

I've never seen a Surf Mat at any of our beaches, or maybe I've just never noticed one. We have plenty of body boarders but I've never seen a mat.

I can't wait to try it. Hopefully next week.

https://youtu.be/6I6JxLEHOcA
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 04:51:25 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 12:34:55 PM »
I ordered a Forth Gear Flyer. It should be here tomorrow. I went with the Tracker Round Tail.  http://www.surfmats.com/tracker-roundtail.html 

There are so many models to choose from, I didn't know if I got the right one. Very soon after I ordered it, I got an email from Paul Gross saying my mat was on it's way. I should have contacted him beforehand because he seemed more than happy to give advise. Anyway, he said the Tracker R/T should work fine for me and to give it a try.

I also ordered some Churchill Makapuu fins.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CDEXZI?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

I've never seen a Surf Mat at any of our beaches, or maybe I've just never noticed one. We have plenty of body boarders but I've never seen a mat.

I can't wait to try it. Hopefully next week.

https://youtu.be/6I6JxLEHOcA

Good luck.  Hope it turns out to be the right model.  Post some pics.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 01:26:45 PM »
It actually came today. Incredibly fast shipping from CA to NH. He makes them fresh to order. It says For Badger, Hand made in the USA, 12/30/19 right on it.

It looks very well made out of rugged material. Smooth and slippery on the bottom with a thicker rougher fabric on top so that you don't slide off. It looks like it's going to work great. We've got some waist to chest high waves coming on Sunday. If my fins show up tomorrow, I'll give a try.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:07:01 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 02:11:25 PM »
Why does this remind me of a major chest rash??? Get your Creek GoPro hat set-up. We want the first hand experience of getting vicariously pitted along with you.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 03:02:35 PM »
It actually came today. Incredibly fast shipping from CA to NH. He makes them fresh to order. It says For Badger, Hand made in the USA, 12/30/19 right on it.

It looks very well made out of rugged material. Smooth and slippery on the bottom with a thicker rougher fabric on top so that you don't slide off. It looks like it's going to work great. We've got some waist to chest high waves coming on Sunday. If my fins show up tomorrow, I'll give a try.

Nice nice!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 04:54:42 PM »
I have a Krypt MTS that I bought from Wardog a few years ago. The winter we spent in SoCal when Zack was a puppy and couldn't go to Maui I had a blast on the thing. Windy afternoons when SUP surfing was blown out I'd go mat surfing. Took it to the wedge once and did the south end, but there were so many hard boards in the pit I didn't want to be in that scrum.

They are certainly fast, not as fast as a foil, but way faster than SUP I've been on. In fact it's a problem, they get out of the pocket so quickly it's easy to run out of wave.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2020, 12:50:54 PM »
The surf forecast fizzled. Next waves might be Saturday the 11th. Also, the XL Churchill Makapuu fins I ordered on Amazon didn't fit over my boots and were very stiff and heavy. I returned them and ordered some DaFins which I think will work. I am totally psyched to get out there and try mat surfing. I've watched dozens of videos and read lots of articles to learn everything I can about it.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal