Author Topic: Share your favorite stretches  (Read 7574 times)

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Share your favorite stretches
« on: January 05, 2020, 10:08:56 AM »
I have been doing these 24 stretches (ideally daily) and have seen a positive impact.
https://www.self.com/gallery/essential-stretches-slideshow
1. Standing Hamstring Stretch
2. Piriformis Stretch
3. Lunge With Spinal Twist
4. Triceps Stretch
5. Figure Four Stretch
6. 90/90 Stretch
7. Frog Stretch
8. Butterfly Stretch
9. Seated Shoulder Squeeze
10. Side Bend Stretch
11. Lunging Hip Flexor Stretch
12. Lying Pectoral Stretch
13. Knee to Chest Stretch
14. Seated Neck Release
15. Lying Quad Stretch
16. Sphinx Pose
17. Extended Puppy Pose
18. Pretzel Stretch
19. Reclining Bound Angle Pose
20. Standing Quad Stretch
21. Knees to Chest
There are 3 additional stretches here:
https://www.self.com/gallery/hip-stretches-your-body-really-needs-slideshow
7) Three-Legged Dog
10) Lunging Hip Flexor Stretch with Rotation
12) Twisted Reclined Pigeon

When doing these stretches, I like to count deep breathe exhales (usually 10 breathes/ stretch, unless it is a good stretch, then I'd do 20 breathes).  I used to hate stretching because it was uncomfortably painful.  But when doing the deep breathe exhales, I find it helps to minimize pain. 

I've learned recently is the importance of staying hydrated.  What I didn't realize about hydration, is it isn't about water, it is about electrolytes.  I used to drink loads of water before and after activities, but still get wicked cramps.  It wasn't until I started using incorporating electroctrolytes, I no longer suffer from cramps.

A little about me.  I played soccer and saw the importance of stretching to avoid groin pulls.  But admit that I never stretched for other activities (skateboarding, surfing).  My hip flexors have been getting tighter over the years, which led to lower back pain.  I would visit a chiropractor to reset my hip to a more proper position.  After years of this, I realized I wasn't getting to the root of the problem, just treating the symptom.
Since then, I try to minimize sitting.  It wasn't until I really gave the above stretches a try (many of which I had never tried before, but now love), that I realized how tight my muscles are.  Since stretching, my hip flexor pain is gone.  I feel more balanced.   The family just visited Disneyland, which I would start my day by stretching (a lot of eye rolls by the family, but I would just ask them if they would prefer that I'd be grumpy).  I had zero back, nor hip flexor pain by the end of the trip.  On the other hand, I watched my teenage son (who doesn't stretch) complain of back pain, something I could emphasize with.
Just wondering if anyone would like to share their favorite stretches (with links to pictures) that are not mentioned above.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:11:19 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Share your favorite stretches
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 11:30:50 AM »
 After years of serious back pain I re-discovered stretching and it changed my life. I stretch everyday, and probably could count the days I missed stretching over the past 30 years on one hand. I'll never forget that pain, and I'll always stretch to keep it under control.
My problem with 'Yoga' in general is the being on the floor. I have an unusually straight spine, so laying on hard or semi-padded hard surfaces on my back hurts. I used to race skis when I was young, and my coaches had us do all these stretches with our skis on. I adapted these 'skis on', standing only stretches so I don't have to lay down to stretch. Plus our house is all wood floors, so I would need a Yoga pad which doesn't really help me. I'm tall and most of my lower back pain came from my leg muscles being tight.

Here are pictures and drawings of my routine.
First the hanging hamstring stretch (count to a 100).
Second the split-knee grab (count to 50 each side).
Third the reach for the sky ( count to 10).
Forth the thigh stretch ( count to 50 each leg).
Fifth the calf stretch ( count to 50 each leg).
Lastly the shoulder rotation stretch ( count to 50 each arm)
That's it. Maybe 10 minutes total?

I have an reduced count version that my teenage son negotiated with me so he would do them with me ;D   

BTW Sflinux, I'll have to add a few of those hip flex stretches to my routine. I can handle the kneeling down or on my knees stretches.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:55:54 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SurfnCJ8

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 06:48:28 AM »
Thanks for posting. Going to try some these. I am not flexible at all plus have back issues. Probably TallDudes version, pretty sad if I can't spare 10 minutes to do something I know will make me feel better. I can do this during morning coffee and watching the weather.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 08:52:03 AM »
Those are terrific.  As a new stretcher that gives me a few more to try.  A PT at our pool showed me a small group of stretches that he thought would help me a lot.  He was right!

I find the one below the most useful. It is awesome because you can do it while you are watching TV, at a desk, etc.  This fellow suggested that I start with very light down pressure on the crossed knee and try to hold the stretch for 10-15 minutes per leg.  After each leg I do Tall Dude's hamstring stretch and his reach for the sky stretch.  Both of those feel like they help "release" the seated cross leg stretch.

This one stretch was very painful for me at first, even with very light pressure (one leg much moreso than the other).  It is still not comfortable but the benefit has been so great that I have started to really enjoy the process. 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 08:35:06 PM »
I’m finding that dead-hanging is really helping my shoulders.

These guys are a little corny but very informative...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI9KZVdFSmQ&feature=share

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 02:57:28 PM »
I always find it helpful to do "crossover" stretches that can be practiced anywhere, and in any condition...

...you're welcome.  ;) ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 05:42:10 AM »
TD,  That's 'doable'.  Counting may be an issue. ..the mind wanders.  Perhaps an egg timer?

I'd like to be as loose as those guys in Sano's crew but Yoga's other side effects appear undesirable.

Do I smell cinnamon?!  ...' gotta go.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 07:22:12 AM »
Thank you for all the contributions, much appreciated.
"Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally", by Kelley Starret, is a great book.
In there, he introduced the couch stretch, which is a quad stretch on steroids.

https://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/the-stretch-that-could-be-the-key-to-saving-your-knees?page=1
I was shocked to find that I am so tight that I couldn't even do it.  (I have been doing the standing quad strech since forever and always found it easy.)  I have been doing baby steps (month+), working my way up to the couch stretch (named because it is a stretch you could be doing while watching tv).
In the book, Kelley talks about how our muscles are the rubber bands that hold our bones together.  I had a snowboard injury over a decade ago, hyper extended my knee.  Since then, I would get knee pain from time to time.  A chiropractor visit would reset it.  But a chiropractor doesn't get to the root of the problem, to prevent reoccurance.  My friends at chiropractor school, said that visiting a chiropractor is a lazy man's yoga.  Long story short, my knee was flaring up again, and not so coindidentally, I had gotten lax in my stretching.  Stretched, and knee pain went away.   In Kelley's book, he talks about symmetry.  When a muscle gets tight, it throws off the natural balance, so joints don't work as they were intended.
As homosapiens, our legs are the foundation for all that we do, stretching is the best thing you can do to keep them healthy.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:54:13 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 08:24:25 AM »
To fix my lame popup I’ve been squatting and holding (gently) a deep squat. Note, not pressing up out of it, just the stretch so as not to hurt my knees. It’s changed the game for me and made me not ache as much around the house even.

I just drop slowly to a deep squat with my butt to the ground and hold something to keep me from falling backward. It stretches my calves and shins and all the ligaments in my knees and has really made me feel safer overall. Again, super gentle here.

Also, google “Foundation Training” a lot of the surf pros are doing it. Headmount I thought of you when I discovered it.) it’s gentle and deceptively strenuous. I’m loving it so far. I’ve just been doing the free stuff online but it fits well into my TV watching evening workouts lol.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 08:37:15 AM »
Another magic stretch is the one in Sano's post labeled Malasana.  I am calling it the WingDing Waterstart stretch.  It is the exact same position.  I love that you can do it anywhere.  Various stance widths and foot angles change/intensify the stretch.  Freaking amazing for gains in hip flexibility.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 03:36:36 PM »
Admin, yes. Somehow I missed that. I also do it with my knees together to work on getting a leg through the arms on the way up.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 08:52:29 PM »
Another magic stretch is the one in Sano's post labeled Malasana. 

I thought that was one of those portagee donut things. Donut Dynamite fills them with Lilikoi cream. Damn, now I'm hungry for one of those.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 09:51:31 AM »
I finally have a twice-weekly trainer (also a surfer).  We do all sorts of glutes, quads, balance stuff   ...but, if he were to pick one: it's Sano's Malsana like the Boss says.  It's the 'third world dump' posture.  I am getting nearly close enough to 'sit in it' if I extruded a good pile.  My drill Sargent gives me rubber bands that force me to widen my knees extending the range of effort/abuse.

The only fear is not being able to attain some elevated level of expectations... I kinda liken this to hair plugs; an old body will never be young again.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal