Author Topic: Used foil wings - what’s good, what’s to be avoided  (Read 5909 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Used foil wings - what’s good, what’s to be avoided
« on: January 04, 2020, 07:56:59 AM »
On the “first foil rig” thread I realized that I had a solid question forming that bears discussion.

Now that we’re seeing deals on used and close out gear, what’s good?

Also, what’s to be avoided.

Specifically, what gear is now not cutting edge but still worth a look?

GoFoil, obviously. But for example, a ton of people 2 years ago were learning on Naish L foils. Are those too hard compared to the newer XL+ wings, or are they a solid choice for a beginner?

Those further down the road, pitch in what you know please.

Hers what I’m seeing out in craigslist land.

Naish L
Slingshot 76
Cloud 9 S24
Ride Engine (everything)

These are all over. Are they to be avoided? Is the inexpensive option now just an XL Gong as opposed to any used “L” sized foil and leave these to the soon to be giant ranks of wake foilers on all the lakes?

Post up!

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Used foil wings - what’s good, what’s to be avoided
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 10:13:21 AM »
Neil Pryde recently had a sale and their Glide Surf Foil was $699 NEW..great deal.  Really well made foils.
I've seen used and "demo" foils from other brands listed for a lot more than that.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 10:34:17 AM »
2nd the Neil Pryde, good new wings in the works.

In my experience the original Naish L is very responsive and maneuverable, and unless one has WCT pro level shortboard skills a terrible choice for learning to foil.  West coast foil club were all ripping on that wing, but it's hard to ride especially for bigger guys on a SUP.  Even Naish has abandoned those style of wings with their new Jet line.

Slingshot/ride engine same company and all the foil parts are the same and interchangeable.  76 is a good choice to learn on, super stable and easier to ride.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 02:53:10 PM »

In my experience the original Naish L is very responsive and maneuverable, and unless one has WCT pro level shortboard skills a terrible choice for learning to foil.

Right... I learnt to foil on a Naish L foil. I learnt exclusively on a wake board cable so very controlled environment, but without instruction so was by trial and error. I can go into the reasons why I chose that foil, but probably another post (ignorance was one factor!). I started in late August on a SUP and can now ride a prone foil board (on the cable), although still use the SUP for learning new things on.

Do I regret the choice? No. I think I'm a better foiler for having done so, but the learning curve was, and still is steep with it. Reading about other people learning, they certainly seemed to get up on the foil quicker than me initially on easier kit, but I think my balance and foil control is better than it would have been, and the challenge forces me to develop good technique now.

Do I enjoy riding it now? Absolutely, it's really fun, especially within the confined space of a wake park. It's kinda like riding a skate board park, and is suitable for that environment for me. I don't need to 'upgrade' to a more advanced foil for now, having got over the initial learning stages.

Would I recommend it to learn on? I think I'm in an unusual situation and it worked for me. I wouldn't recommend it if you're in a dynamic / surf environment if you've got no foiling experience.

My 2p (or 2c) worth...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 03:26:37 PM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 03:45:42 PM »
This is all great info. Thx. Neil Pryde stuff does seem like a good deal and solid. But I’d heard they were getting out of the foil game, hence the lower cost. Hope that’s not true.

Thx for the info on the Naish too. I figured that the gear had evolved and just because something worked doesn’t make it optimal.

I’m leaning towards a much larger wing figuring I can always use it on a small day. Today I proned at a spot here and caught 4 waves in 90 minutes. Ready to up my wave count again lol. It was prime foil conditions.

Oh, in a cool session report, Pacificmeister from YouTube was teaching someone to foil by towing them behind his e-foil. They did laps around outside the lineup at Sunset today. He held the tow rope and the guy just cruised along behind him. If your spouse won’t Spring for 2 e-foils, looks like you can just buy one engine. 😂

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 03:46:55 PM »
But keep the info coming, this is great.

Anyone else start on a smaller foil and either like it or regret it?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 10:26:08 PM »
Lots of used GoFoil setups out there, and it's hard to go wrong with a M200/Iwa combo, even at a very light weight. They turn well, come up under control, and do pretty much everything the same every time. They aren't fast, but that's a good thing at first, it lets you learn to turn without rushing.

I've generally switched to Axis, but it's because they are more tunable. Tuning a wing for the first few months is just silly. Plug it in and go.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 06:57:10 AM »
Cowboy, If you haven't already please take a look at my classified add for Slingshot Foils. These will cover every condition you might find at a super affordable price. Happy foil hunting!

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,35628.0.html

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 07:53:40 PM »
Daswusup, that’s an awesome quiver man.

To be honest, as not a kiter and maybe not even a prone foiler (we will see but I may not have the pop up for that), I think I only need a wing or two. But I guess that’s how it starts lol. But there’s a 76 down here for like $425 that I’ve had my eye on.

Clay and you started on these, that’s a nice endorsement. Seems like folks move on from them, but that’s not bad for a beginner, prices are in line with starting and selling if/when you want to move on.

I’m anxious to try a few foils. I suspect you can sort of get used to whatever you learn on lol. Is ignorance bliss in the foil world?

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 04:05:34 AM »
How's the Infinity 84 setup for someone on small waves (east coast mush) - knee high, etc. at 170 lbs. Probably on a 6'5" JL Flying-V
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 06:39:34 AM »
How's the Infinity 84 setup for someone on small waves (east coast mush) - knee high, etc. at 170 lbs. Probably on a 6'5" JL Flying-V

The 84 with big stab is the easiest foil I have ever flown. It would crush the mush! (shameless plug) see my classified

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 07:24:42 PM »
I will say I’ve not heard anyone diss those infinity wings. 76 or 84. They seem well liked.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal