Author Topic: Major hamstring Pull, I hate This!  (Read 8058 times)

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Major hamstring Pull, I hate This!
« on: January 02, 2020, 10:25:02 AM »
I had a few small strains in my hamstrings when I first started SUSing. I now regularly stretch and use a roller on my gluts and stretch before going out on the water. Due to family, holidays and cold, I did not do any stretching and rushed out for a sunset sesh. 2nd wave loud pop! I had to crawl to shore and could not put any weight on it only crutches.

Kept it up and iced for 2 days. Now I can put pressure on my leg and limp around. It is super black and blue. I read that if it is torn it can take months to heal...........so bummed.

Does anyone have experience with this type of injury? Will it ever fully heal? To add insult to injury (literally) my new Sunova Style arrives today.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Major hamstring Pull, I hate This!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 11:16:39 AM »
Did the same a few years ago surfing where back foot slipped of back of board going fast.
Board squirted forward with foot still on it. Back foot held in place by water. Ouch.
Black and blue from below knee to buttock.
A month later on a nice day I two days in a row caused the healing to tear again, surfing.
Another ouch. Finally got to talk with client doctor. Regular docs had me waiting two months for
appointment so no help with advise or pain. Client doc told me to stay off for two months. Then
take it easy. Injury happened on October. Retore in November. Had to wait for injury to heal.
Did not surf again until April. Still hurt but no more tearing. A few years later-no problem.

Stay off it until it heals. Doc told me if I keep injuring it, It may never get better.
I am not a doc or medical professional. Telling you about my experience.
I hope you have complete recovery. 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 11:30:48 AM »
I'm 62 years old, have been stand up surfing for almost eight years and have never stretched before a session. I do see surfers doing stretches on the beach from time to time but I've never felt a need to. Maybe I should look into it.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 12:18:26 PM »
Ouch Paddle On!  With those symptoms, I hope you are getting good (credible) advice from your doc. 

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a28908251/runner-dies-cardiff-half-fractured-femur/

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 01:11:16 PM »
Hey Tube thanks for sharing your experience, I am definite the guy who would comeback too soon, I will be careful. 8 weeks, ouch, I have 7 more. I have an MRI and appt with Ortho next week.

Bean, thanks for the comforting article, NOT 😳  I will for sure ask the doc about that. Since I can put weight on it I assume there is no break.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 02:34:02 PM »
Paddle On..... wow, that sucks!!!

I did have bad Hamstring pull/tear twice in my early SUP life.
The bad one kept me out of the surf for 2 months.
Similar to you story.... I had to be helped to my car (basically carried, by a young guy, who has become one of my closest friends to this day)

BUT, after about a week of R.I.C.E, I was going nuts, so I stood up and made a paddling motion in my living room....
I thought "well, at least I can paddle some flat-water"

and I mean FLAT water, not smooth ocean (that's still too much action for hamstring recovery)
I fell in love with paddling estuary's and creeks... still loving it long after most of the race crowd faded out of paddling.
So it was a win-win for me.

Ask your doc if that sounds reasonable... I think it sped up my recovery and definitely kept me sane.

Since then, if I am in a situation that will stress my hamstring, I let simply let it go.
People tell me I fall like a big ole' tree.
No fighting the fall.... I just go with it.
Haven't strained a hammy in many years  :)

Polish up your Style and dream of the warmer days!

This pic is a milder strain.... the big one was black, knee to butt

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 04:20:14 PM »
Thanks Creek, so there is hope to ride again!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 04:34:47 PM »
Show your doc that picture, it will help him to see where the tear is and help diagnose how bad it is. That looks pretty major league.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 09:10:01 PM »
That's a high grade tear when it bleeds out like that - I've had more tears than I can remember and in my experience the best thing you can do is getting back into doing some movement WITHOUT aggravating the tear further as soon as possible. Blood circulation is your friend - it brings all the nurses and doctors to the damaged area and speeds up the healing.

Like Supthecreek I found flat water paddling the best remedy. Basically do anything that doesn't hurt and and doesn't put you in risk of hurting it ie. don't fall off, and if you do, don't fight the fall.

The other thing that works really well is EMS (Electronic Muscle Stimulation) - it does the same thing by getting blood circulation to the damaged area - but without any risk of further damage.

Preventing it is about doing cross-training, SUP is great for the body but it does not extend the hamstrings unless you are doing serious waveriding so they tend to shorten up and weaken. Gym, walking, running - anything but SUP to compliment SUP

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 09:19:52 PM »
I'm 62 years old, have been stand up surfing for almost eight years and have never stretched before a session. I do see surfers doing stretches on the beach from time to time but I've never felt a need to. Maybe I should look into it.

I'm not much of a "team" guy, but I wrestled in high school, and played rugby for some years. Both of my sons are athletes, one rugby and one handball, with full-tuition sports scholarships. We were all taught never to stretch before practice/game, but to warm up, moving the muscles through their entire working range without the stretch feeling (static stretch?). Warm up is critical to get the muscles hot and loose, and stretching was done afterword. Also that stretching before the muscle is warmed can lead to injury... Right or wrong, I'm sure Google knows ;-) but it's worked for me and mine. For SUP, the paddle out is usually the "warm up."  ;D

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 05:33:24 AM »

I'm not much of a "team" guy, but I wrestled in high school, and played rugby for some years. Both of my sons are athletes, one rugby and one handball, with full-tuition sports scholarships. We were all taught never to stretch before practice/game, but to warm up, moving the muscles through their entire working range without the stretch feeling (static stretch?). Warm up is critical to get the muscles hot and loose, and stretching was done afterword. Also that stretching before the muscle is warmed can lead to injury... Right or wrong, I'm sure Google knows ;-) but it's worked for me and mine. For SUP, the paddle out is usually the "warm up."  ;D

That makes sense. I like it. I would think that just the act of paddling would work the range of motion really well, at least for the arms and torso. Not sure about the legs.
I will definitely Google it though. It pays to do the research.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 05:41:20 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 06:36:25 AM »
Like PeterP said:
I realized quickly, that SUP surfing put lots of strain on my hamstrings, BUT did nothing to strengthen them.
So I
ride my mountain bike
play golf at a course with lots of steep hills... without a cart.

And again, I never try to “save” myself while SUPing.
I am hypersensitive to any move that will stress my hammy’s
Haven’t had a reoccurrence in at least 5 years.

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 07:56:41 AM »
Solid advice, thanks, I am always looking for ways to prevent this from happening again. Thanks for the tip to share picts with Doc since I see him next week.

I am still alternating between anger and depression.............acceptance soon.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 11:21:07 AM »
Good time to get some honey do's done.
Earn some brown eye points. It will be over soon
enough. Just don't tear them until recovered or
you get to start all over.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 12:25:39 PM »
Oh man, I feel your pain, literally! My thigh looks the same right now after tearing mine a few weeks ago.  On the 21st of Dec I hit a rock while sup paddling my local whitewater spot (White Salmon) and the board stopped then my front foot slipped forward so I was basically doing the splits and POP.  Very painful and mind racing with thoughts of surgery and no fun for months, crutches, etc...  I went to the physical therapist and she tested my strength a week later. She said I probably didn't need surgery as I had pretty good strength without pain in some tests she did.  She said to keep icing and applied some K-Tape, recommended a tensor wrap to support the muscle, also recommended isometric exercises and light cycling to keep the muscles from atrophying. 
Now 2 weeks later I can bear full weight and now walking almost normally without a limp I can go up and down stairs with no pain, but even lifting the leg to put on my socks or shoes is painful.  Sleeping is the worst part whenever I move it at night it aches for a minute or 2.  A pillow between the legs seems to help though.  I am planning on a few months before I am back to ripping around again. I have started to ride a bike very mellow on flat rds to keep my sanity and inlisted myself in a 30-day pushup challenge 100/day for 30 days.
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal