Author Topic: Best wing leash placement  (Read 1694 times)

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Best wing leash placement
« on: December 30, 2019, 04:46:23 AM »
Most common of course is wrist, but i’ve seen more and more people attaching their wing to a waist belt.
What are the pros of this option? Less tangling? More freedom?
I also would like to compare coil leashes to normal ones, what do you think?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Best wing leash placement
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 06:24:05 AM »
Most common of course is wrist, but i’ve seen more and more people attaching their wing to a waist belt.
What are the pros of this option? Less tangling? More freedom?
I also would like to compare coil leashes to normal ones, what do you think?

Pro....leash never messes with our hands, arms, etc. Very clean and free riding.

Con is really big though. When down in the water, the easiest way to untangle board and wing leash is to simply spin your body while holding wing over your head. This only works with leash on the wrist. Attached to your waist, it just tangles the leashes more and you can’t see the leash tangles very well. This from a guy who uses a board waist leash.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
Re: Best wing leash placement
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 09:47:24 AM »
Whatever you do, don’t do what I did last time in the surf. I was riding with a harness and wrist leash. Before paddling out I moved my carabiner, from a back hip location that was hard to reach to another easier to reach anchor point. Little did I know that it was actually the quick release knife loop.

When I needed to paddle in due to lack of consistent wind and an approaching military base with side offshore winds, I moved the wrist leash to the carabiner. Started prone paddling and felt the tension disappear. $1000 started cartwheeling offshore! I paddled like mad and caught it. Such a kook move, so I had to share  ;D
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal