Author Topic: Short standup boards - what’s out there?  (Read 5596 times)

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Short standup boards - what’s out there?
« on: December 29, 2019, 06:54:48 PM »
I’m thinking about buying a new board. Maybe something around 6’ (maybe a little less), relatively wide, and about 120 liters. Boards that come to mind are Jimmy Lewis (nothing fits the criteria), Kalama, Blue Planet, and DW’s boards. What else is out there?  It doesn’t have to be but, if I had the choice (assuming it’s not too heavy), I’d prefer a production board.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Short standup boards - what’s out there?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 10:18:22 PM »
Those new production Kalama E2 boards look amazing, I'm surprised we haven't seen a first-hand ride report here yet.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 10:55:00 PM »
I’ve seen a few of them here and guys seem to like them. Haven’t really seen any specs or prices anywhere though.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 11:36:28 PM »
I’m thinking about buying a new board. Maybe something around 6’ (maybe a little less), relatively wide, and about 120 liters. Boards that come to mind are Jimmy Lewis (nothing fits the criteria), Kalama, Blue Planet, and DW’s boards. What else is out there?  It doesn’t have to be but, if I had the choice (assuming it’s not too heavy), I’d prefer a production board.

Sunova, Takuma and One have good production boards too.

Depends where you live but you can also go custom and have a light board : in southern California Brawner Surfboard/52foilco and Freedom foil boards are really good.

In Hawaii it is hard not to mention KT which are probably the most advanced foil boards.

In australia, DC has been working on foil board for a while now.

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 08:30:09 AM »
There's a lot of options now. SIC is launching it's new foil board range now. Mark Raaphorst has been making foilboards in Maui for a long time now and some of his designs are going into production now. Amazaing construction: full PVC Sandwich with Carbon and Kevlar with high density reinforcements around all inserts and boxes.
Sizes:
6'0 x 28.5" - 104 liters
6'5 x 27" - 114 liters
7'8 x 29.5" - 127 liters (this one is an all wave sports board, with surf fins boxes and mast insert)

MURF37

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »
I have been riding the new One Sup 5'10x27.5 @ 106L for the last month and love it.

I weigh 80kgs and have no problems with stability even in choppy conditions.  Its a super fun board!

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 01:06:48 AM »
This is my latest ride , suits me well for the multi discipline of Sup surfing , Down wind and wing foiling .  At 6ft & 85 kg I could go smaller but I found I need a bit more length for the wing .

Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

gulljammer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 02:51:39 AM »
This is my latest ride , suits me well for the multi discipline of Sup surfing , Down wind and wing foiling .  At 6ft & 85 kg I could go smaller but I found I need a bit more length for the wing .

Hi Piros, just curious why you feel you need more length for the wingding. I’m roughly the same size as you and presently ding on a JL 5’11” 104L Flying V. I like the volume but feel like I want to go shorter so I can fit better into the pockets of the short chop I mostly ride. The 5’ Gong Lemon looks interesting.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 03:02:36 PM »

Sunova, Takuma and One have good production boards too.

Depends where you live but you can also go custom and have a light board : in southern California Brawner Surfboard/52foilco and Freedom foil boards are really good.

In Hawaii it is hard not to mention KT which are probably the most advanced foil boards.

In australia, DC has been working on foil board for a while now.

Is there a US importer for One boards?  I’m in Hawaii and it’s odd that you mention KT because I don’t see many of their boards here. I didn’t even know they made standup foil boards.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 03:05:43 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I’m very curious about the boards with the recessed decks, i.e. the Freedom Skillet and the boards from 52foilco. I’m uncertain that the deck will drain water quickly but I would imagine it helps paddling stability.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I’m very curious about the boards with the recessed decks, i.e. the Freedom Skillet and the boards from 52foilco. I’m uncertain that the deck will drain water quickly but I would imagine it helps paddling stability.

I'll post soon as I'm about to test a secret recessed deck foil board  :)

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 04:22:07 PM »
Hi Piros, just curious why you feel you need more length for the wingding. I’m roughly the same size as you and presently ding on a JL 5’11” 104L Flying V. I like the volume but feel like I want to go shorter so I can fit better into the pockets of the short chop I mostly ride. The 5’ Gong Lemon looks interesting.
[/quote]

Hi Gulljammer,

It's mainly for restarts and when the wind dies . I have been out in some really nasty conditions where the wind is side on to swell , making it incredibly difficult to stand up and get going again . I just need more board to balance to get up and going. As soon as you stand in adverse conditions the wing puts pressure on your front font and if the board is too short you just sink the nose and you tea bag again. Same goes for when wind dies and you have to stand square stance and sail in , it's so incredibly hard to do and very tiring. A good test is to paddle out in the ocean in strong wind and drop your paddle and stand there for 10 mins , you'll soon learn very quickly what I mean about having a board too short. For the wing there will be many occasions where you will need to be able to balance on the board without first getting the stability from a loaded wing. Not saying everyone has to go longer this is what works for me. The other thing too is when you are fully lit going straight downwind over swells in front , that slightly longer board also helps. This is for the ocean but in calmer waters different story go as small as you can.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 04:35:21 PM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 07:31:11 PM »

[/quote]

Is there a US importer for One boards?  I’m in Hawaii and it’s odd that you mention KT because I don’t see many of their boards here. I didn’t even know they made standup foil boards.
[/quote]

Sorry no ONE boards in Hawaii but we can deal direct if anyone is wanting a board and we have no importer in that area.

The new recessed deck boards are in real and come for 100's of hours downwinding and playing in the surf. If you want some more info just hit me up.

Cheers Jacko

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal