Author Topic: Info on big wave sup boards?  (Read 12375 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Info on big wave sup boards?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 09:52:30 AM »
I have to put in a pitch for the approx 9’ board. If you look at prone guns they center on that range. If you can get something in a narrower SUP width it’s almost in that exact range.

I’ll bring up a topic here that I’m have no strong opinions on, but want to hear about.

SUP in a large-ish lineup. Not Mavericks big, but enough to where proners are on step ups and there’s a crowd. Can you safely manage a board in those conditions or do you avoid people?

In a truly large lineup everyone bails their big boards anyway. But in a mid sized lineup a prone board can still be managed better. I’m thinking of when Laird broke that guy’s arm during the Marie swell.

I’d like to hear people’s personal guidelines for this sort of situation. Are you out in big crowded lineups? I’ve only done it a few times. Nowadays I tap out at about head high due to not being able to manage a large board in those conditions safely if there are people around. I feel prone surfers bail their boards less faced with the same wave. I tend to grab a prone board if I’m going to paddle out in head high or better. (If it’s busy, and I’m honest, I take a wavestorm out at head high and have a ball.)

But what will I do when my knees or shoulders slow down?

Not trying to start yet another (#247?) thread on SUP hate. So please take your persecution complex elsewhere. This is about experienced paddlers discussing our own personal abilities and boundaries. So, while I appreciate everyone’s speculation, I’d rather hear from folks who have been out consistently when it’s overhead.

What’s it like up North. Who’s getting out when it’s doh and crowded? And if you’re honest, are you as safe as if your board was 9’ x 21” x 3”? Or do you look for spots and situations where you’re on your own?

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2020, 02:00:20 PM »
My prone gun is a nine footer and my sup gun is a 10-4.  Just like the difference between my short prone and sup boards, the sups size bigger.

Crowds are a bummer anytime but especially at a crowded peak. I naturally take a cautious approach, but it’s tricky.  I have never come close to hurting any one but will take a beating to make sure of it.

On the really big days stress control is a big thing and the camera is just too much. Gotta keep it simple.
These vids are on the 10-4x28 beautiful baby on 10’ days. Jeff Clark won’t make them wider. And it is true, wide boards do not work at big wave speeds.  Jeff has a beveled rail to give the board some sink for control at speed. A sup is generally too fast.
In the vids you will see me pull out because of a guy underneath and a drop in. Also beatings endured because I went too deep because of the crowd.
The last vid I am alone in which is the best.  But the reason is a hell shore break which is why I choose the crowd on most big days. That is the problem, when it’s big only a handful of spots are still rideable.  And these all get crowded.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 06:49:04 PM »
A 9 foot board is TOO Short when it comes to catching big waves.

I would use a 9 foot board up to 10 foot faces then you are challenged with taking off late and steep like Jamie O'Brien.

For waves in the 8 to 15 foot face range I would recommend a 10' x 28" board similar to what Jay is showing above.

For waves regularly with 12 to 18 foot faces I recommend a 10' 6" fast paddling board (I use a Paddle Surf Hawaii PSH 10' 6"). 

If waves are going to be regularly 15 ft or more I will use my 12' PSH gun.  Going shorter than this significantly increase risk.

Going longer, at the right break, lets you glide in like you're on a Cadillac.  I recommend you wear FLOTATION.

10 foot boards will catch these:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:50:35 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 06:51:37 PM »
10 Foot board at its limit and beyond.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2020, 06:55:50 PM »
10' 6" x 28" PSH.  This is the Luxury cruiser of the Double Overhead Realm.

My daughter on the 10' 6" and Friend Dave on his 10' 6".  Super reliable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62gVGlyqXfs

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2020, 07:02:57 PM »
Depending on where you surf a 12' board is VERY NICE.  Not in shore break but if you have a point break it will take you to Infinity and Beyond.

Lower and Upper limits of a 12 foot board.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2020, 07:09:45 PM »
My surf amigo Dave Westendorf bought a 12' Lyle Carlson 6 years ago.  I kept raving about the benefits of the 12' board at Mavericks.  He never tried the board.

I have a secret spot called Denton's Peak.  He hadn't caught a wave at Mavericks for a few years, prone, then tried my strategy.   

This video is among the best rides ever filmed at Mavericks (most artistic).  Dave on his 12' SUP gliding in easy peasy like he was on a Cadillac.

OMFG!   :o   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhYaq5cfsg
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 07:11:36 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 07:29:54 PM »
Since you got me started.  This was a video I made that makes people laugh.

Me and Dave Westendorf riding big waves, singing and giggling all the way.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2020, 08:21:31 PM »
Beasho, of course I’ve followed you for years. And as I mentioned, I’m more curious when surfing on the big day at the average local. Mavericks has a strong pecking order and experienced surfers. I’m more asking about when it’s doh at the local that’s normally waist high.

100% you need a longer board for XXL waves and I defer to your experience there.

But most paddlers are getting 2-3 “big” days a year and every idiot in town is on it.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 01:44:28 AM »
I hear you.  And we catch bigger waves on a SUP.  More later.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 08:27:12 AM »
Of course, you’re in that sweet spot between paddle in (prone) and tow.

I have to say, one of my best days was cruising into a peak I had all to myself on a 10’6” SUP. Beginner spot, too big for beginners to paddle out. I had it alone for 2 hours. Early roll in, easy cruise, and then over the back and back out. It changed my head for sure.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 02:15:55 PM »

Funny story...

Back when I first posted, "Info on big wave sup board" a friend of mine from down south saw the post here and contacted me.  I had sold him (with some regret) my 12 foot Paddle Surf Hawaii Gun a couple of years ago.  Anyways, he contacted me and asked if I wanted to purchase the PSH from him as he was thinning his board supply and the PSH was not getting much use.  I said, "Yes" and bought back the board a couple of days ago.  I couldn't be happier.  This board really has no upper limit (not that I would surf that anyways.)  There is such a feeling of confidence paddling into a large wave with this thing that I have not found with other boards. 8) 

Thanks surifnj and Beasho for the excellent videos and info.  Wouldn't a sup movie (with plenty of video) about big wave sup surfing and different surfing spots be great!?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2020, 07:59:07 PM »
I love those things. The right board for the job

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2020, 07:01:14 AM »
I'm 6'4" and weigh 225 for reference...
...changed the fins to huge quads
Hi Lopezwill, so stoked for you  ;D and the reuniting with the 12' Gun Ripper, that is sweet.
I have a question though, What "huge" quads you have tried?
For Futures Quads: I've (200#) tried Controllers Quad and Pancho Sullivan/Controller Rear.
@Josh+805StandUp: Thanks for the nubster suggestion, great tip.
(Still looking for big FCS Quads)
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2020, 09:47:50 AM »
sflinux

For the quad set up I used 4 3/4 Rusty front fins and Controller back fins with a small nubster on the Surrator.  This was a good set up for that board in larger surf. The thin pointy nose and tail of the Surrator became to much work for me at my age, weight and height.  I tend to surf less than perfect choppy, windy surf and felt I needed a board with more volume and length.  If I lived in some place like Santa Barbara where the waves are cleaner and less wind I would have been happy with the Surrator as a big wave board.

I took the PSH out two days ago in overhead surf and what a beast that board is.  It gets into waves so early and gives me a lot of confidence as I know it won't become skiddery or slide out on a bottom turn.  In a perfect world we should all have a quiver of boards for the conditions we surf.  I really like that 10'4" x 28 Jeff Clark board that surfinj rides so well.  I think I would be happy with a board like that made to my weight and height.?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal