Author Topic: Info on big wave sup boards?  (Read 12374 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Info on big wave sup boards?
« on: December 29, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »

Is there any new sup developments for surfing larger waves?

I'm not talking huge Mavericks or Hawaiian big wave but something near this size. 

Go to 16:00 -- 21:00 for wave size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=58&v=ejZxt5Zwe44&feature=emb_logo

I've used several different Sup boards for the larger California surf we get in the winter and every board seems to have drawbacks for me.  I'm 6'4" and weigh 225 for reference.

I've tried the old, All rounder, Paddle Surf Hawaii 10'6' 29" across and that board worked good but it's since been destroyed.  They are very hard to find now.
The PSH 12 footer is a great board but at 12 feet was dangerous getting caught inside.  It was just to big.
Had the 10'6" PSH gun ripper which worked alright but at 32" wide was too wide and became dangerous in off shore winds and sucking type reef waves.
I'm currently riding a 9'10"  31 across 140 volume, Laird Surrator which works ok but when the surf gets around 10 to 12 foot faces starts to get squirrly on the bottom turns.  Even having changed the fins to huge quads and thrusters.?  My search continues.
Now I'm thinking about a couple year old 10'2" Jimmy Lewis Stun gun but that board is also 32 across?

I realize the board I'm describing is a niche board but I thought I would just put it out there? 8)  I think it should be near 150 or more volume, pintail, and very stable.?

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Info on big wave sup boards?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 05:30:55 PM »
The 10'6x29 PSH gun ripper remains my favorite shape for that size wave, but the construction of those bamboo PSH boards left a lot to be desired.

HYPR NALU out of the Big Island makes some SUP guns with really nice wood finishes. Their graphic bug me, but that's just aesthetics.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 06:08:23 PM »
  Yes. The PSH gun ripper is a great board but at my hight and weight was way to unstable.

Funny you mention the Hyper Nalu.  I was thinking the 11'6" gun but I have not herd any rider info about the board in large surf.

Thanks for the info 8)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 07:22:45 PM »
What about Jimmy Lewis Bombora? Seems it is made for those types of waves.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 07:26:33 PM »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 05:25:35 AM »
I think the 9'5 or 9'11 Sunova Insanity might do the trick
I'd check with CREEK on the specifics

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 06:26:52 AM »
I throw another one into the mix.

The waves from (time wise) 16:00 - 21:00 can be handled by a Sup Sports "One World" with your personal specs of 6'4" and 225 pounds. A production made One World is 11'1" x 30" x 4.6" @ 200 liters comes with 3 fin Furtures boxes.

Since I'm a small framed guy at  5'8" and 144 pounds, I wanted a custom built One World and finally came up with a perfect fit for me at  11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters with 5 fin Futures boxes, pulled in nose, 60/40 rails (rails are thinned out too), two vent plugs (because Texas summers are brutal heat wise), two leash plugs, pintail, comfy deck pad with a kick pad, offset Blue Planet Sup Grip handle and Ballis Tech construction.

I asked WarDog (Warren Thomas) what size wave can this board handle? Warren told me that is up to the skill level of the rider. I'll post a link to the One World and you'll see there is a photo of someone surfing a very large wave. If anything, it should get your juices flowing. The page will load slowly because that page has lots of photos on it. BTW, once on the page, the orange One World you'll see at that time, without the deck pad installed, is mine.

https://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/one-world-series/

At my height and weight, I surf my 11' 1" One World as a 4 fin quad setup with (2, 5") and (2, 4") performance fins. And as a bonus, I did take a photo of her on our private freshwater lake.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 06:38:30 AM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 06:48:18 PM »
I thought I needed a longer board for the bigger stuff (like in the video), but found that smaller was better at the increased speed. It was hard to find the sweet spot when at speed on a 10'x28" wide board. Too far back and it slaps, too far forward, and it doesn't want to go on a rail and tends to slide. The ticket was something 9' and under, 28"ish wide for some stability, and a pulled in tail with very thin and sharp rails. I'm 5'10" and 85kg. The paddle speed on a board like this is still way faster than I can paddle one of my 8' prone guns, and I don't have the loss of control that comes with the longer, wide boards.   

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 12:03:54 AM »
Hypr Hawaii do guns in:
9’6”
10’6”
11’6”
12’6”
14ft

So you should be able to find one to suit.

You can order them without the dragon graphics. I’ve just bought two double-carbon full PVC sandwich wood-stringer and S-glass reinforced 14ft guns that have minimal graphics (no dragons) and are very strong, and have a bit of weight to them to cope with offshores and smooth out the ride. They surf better than many 11ft SUPs I’ve tried, incredibly. The 11-6 gun is a very user-friendly board and surfs smaller than it is. The 10-6 is super-high performance for that size. I haven’t tried the 9-6, but it might be a little above my pay grade in the super-rippy choppy conditions I surf. But this guy has no problems at all with it, and he’s no flyweight, so I guess at the end of the day it’s all about how good you are...

https://youtu.be/iQtiVV_39ZU

The unique rails and bottom contours of these boards make them surf FAST, and not really like other boards. But you’ll need to try for yourself to see what I mean.

They come in a variety of constructions, and you can order to suit, as long as you are willing to wait for it (and pay a bit extra of course for bespoke). The basic applewood construction is very beautiful though, and strong and durable, so it might be all that most people need. You wouldn’t want the super-strong double-carbon construction I ordered unless you live in a cool climate or were willing to be very diligent with using the bag it comes with: Pure carbon reveal gets very hot in bright sunlight. It sure is beautiful though, so “cool climate spec” is fine for me here in the UK, and the layup feels so strong and stiff that you could knock a house down with it :)

Just contact the owner of Hypr Hawaii, Ian Foo, and he’ll sort you out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 12:18:07 AM by Area 10 »

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 09:31:18 AM »
Jeff Clark has been riding sup guns practicing for the Eddie, and has designs he's stoked in.
He's heading to your area today, has boards and gonna shape more.  Phone is a good way to get a hold of him.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 10:48:06 AM »
That wave looks fun.  All of the boards look like guns to me, point and shoot.  Your Surrator is like an oversized shortboard, made to carve, which would feel twitchy at speed.  Follow you instinct on board width, my recommendation would be to find a stable 29" wide gun shaped board.  Most of the commercial guns seem to be narrower than 29", low volume for average sized riders.
The HyprNalu guns look sweet.  How about a custom 10'6" x 29" HyprNalu, should be as stable as your PSH 10'6" AA. 
I have a question about the HyprNalu guns though, the volume and dimensions look off to me.  Perhaps the thicknesses on the website are off.  The dimensions on the website, would lead me to believe that the 9'6", 10'6", and 11'6 are about 10L smaller, whereas the 12'6" may be 10L larger.  If the dimensions are correct, than the weight recommendations for the boards make sense for the 9'6", 10'6", and 11'6", but the volumes are off.
I presume you were asking about production boards.  If looking for customs, I wonder if you could have Blane Chambers shape you a custom board.  Otherwise, Jeff Clark (as mentioned), Joe Blair (Gun 29"), Bob Pearson are all talented California gun shapers.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 05:06:39 AM »
I wouldn’t pay much attention to the volumes quoted for the Hypr Hawaii guns. They have made so many different sized semi-custom ones, and the bottom contours are so complex, that the figures quoted are probably only meant as a rough example.  And anyway, volume really doesn’t mean much at all: The 12-6 Hypr gun I have is probably about the same volume as my PSH 12ft gun but it is a lot more stable.

They are also quite different boards, although obviously they share the same design ethic. The 12-6 x 29 surfs very well but is intended also to be user-friendly enough that it can be used as an everyday cruiser. The 11-6 is much higher performance and while it certainly can be used as an all-round board (and I have done), in the waves it is surprisingly fast and high performance - the feel is much more like you’d expect from most decent 10-6 surf SUPs. The 10-6 gun is quite low volume and is an out-and-out surfer, unless you were very light.

There are two new developments in the range too. The first is that there is going to be a narrower version of the 12-6, which would work for light women and smaller men as a cruiser, and as a high-performance outer-reef type gun for a bigger intermediate or above paddler. The second is the new 14’x26” gun. I’m going to write a review of that once I’ve finished testing it. But I already have used it enough to know that it is the best 14ft that I have ever tried (and I’ve tried LOTS) in surf. I got mine in a heavy-duty double-carbon full PVC construction because my break is a mile offshore and around a wreck, and the downwinding I do can be in fairly extreme winds too (over 40 knots), so I need something that is strong strong strong, and has a bit of weight for getting into waves in offshore winds. Others might want something lighter.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 08:32:01 AM »

Hey all, Happy New Year!!!

Thanks for all the great responses.  This is still a great forum with helpful information.

I would love to try everyone of the boards mentioned here in larger surf.  Wouldn't we all?  I still haven't made a decision on what to go with but now I have plenty to think about  ???

Josh

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 01:14:59 PM »
Have you tried running your surrator as a quad + nubster center fin? That’s how I run my 8’10” Surrator and like it a lot.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 01:34:23 PM »
Have you tried running your surrator as a quad + nubster center fin? That’s how I run my 8’10” Surrator and like it a lot.

+1-- I have a Kelly Slater Quad Set plus Nubster on my 8'10 Surrator.  Best setup I have found for it!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal