Author Topic: What legrope for foiling  (Read 2069 times)

Wazza66

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
What legrope for foiling
« on: December 28, 2019, 10:53:40 PM »
Finally bitten the bullet and starting sup foiling on a DC foiilboard (7'2) and go foil wing setup, Just wondering what legrope setup is recommended as I've had my short 6 ft cord caught around the back wing a few times. Seen waist cords , knee cords and curled cords as well as ankle leashes .
What are your thoughts?
Waz

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What legrope for foiling
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 11:05:18 PM »
Short waist leash--just long enough to get into position. You won't be getting to the nose. Some folks were using long leashes assuming that would keep the board away from them. I don't quite get the thinking behind that. Stepping on your leash on a foil board is especially irritating and with two leashes there are so many tangle opportunities. Short, non-coiled.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 12:36:11 AM »
I don’t know...I breach and go off the front in some spectacular endos  :o so a long enough leash that doesn’t pull the board toward me sounds like a good idea!  I’m using a 9’ leash with a piece of foam wrapped to it to keep it from tangling on the foil.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 02:34:05 AM »
Going to a minimal 6 footer is what solve tangles and wraps for me.  Going longer may well make this worse for you.  A short leash around the ankle is my easy answer. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 05:04:53 AM »
Everything is a shit show during the kook stage.

A waist mounted 10 ft coil leash is actually only 3 feet long, so it stays at the surface and away from the foil below. Unless you’re still a kook, and it’s getting stretched 10 feet every ride.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 05:52:00 AM »
You'll change your set up as you progress. lately I've been using an up haul line attached to a occulus real leash. Before that I was on the leashlok with short coil. I wouldn't go calf or ankle leash due to the board pulling so much with the foil in the waves and when you wing, you're switching feet so you'll tangle with a leash on one leg. I've found that a leash attached to a harness when wing'ing keeps it more out of the way when kneel starting.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 12:15:42 PM »
 I use a 7 foot coil leash to a waist belt
there is the occasional tangle up
but for the most part I’ve learned how to handle  it.
My foil board is the 6’6”
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 05:00:48 PM »
I am completely sold on a waist leash.  I'm using a leashlok waist leash, but it looks like it is no longer available.  I was swapping out the leash portion using an Allen wrench, but the waist attachment eventually broke off and now I'm using a hand tied connection to the leash on the waist end.  Happy to share the details of how to do this.

Anyway, I use a leash that is pretty short but also super thick. I like the dakine big wave leash cut to about 7ft so it doesn't tangle in the foil.  Even in the big waves, the pull on a waist leash is no problem

Hilly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 05:12:27 PM »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal