Author Topic: Thinking your GoPro is good enough? Watch this...  (Read 6902 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking your GoPro is good enough? Watch this...
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 11:47:45 PM »
The newer GoPros have a mode to reduce distortion. Get on YouTube and check it out. You can adjust the width of the shot now.

Still not the same as a camcorder but I promise, you won’t carry and adjust the settings on a camcorder. The best camera is the one you have on you.

If you want to try, you could carry a phone or most any other camera in a bag but it won’t be very useable. Consider the environment and more stuff you try, the action cams make more sense.

I have hopes for the 360 cams where you can crop later and pull the shot you want, but we’re about one generation early still.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 05:17:13 AM »
goporo's are excellent and have great utility for many, but..............

remember when gopro traded 80 bux and i said right here on the zone that the stock was an obvious short?

gopro was one of the trade layups one sees if one pays just a little attention--nothing else to do, sitting in my office all day

only other call i made here was to buy crude in the 30's--trades the 60's

no more calls--next will be a disaster!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 06:59:34 AM »
That is really cool.  Somewhat related, but anyone have any opinion on what the best camera is for shooting away from you?  I don't have much interest in shots of me out on my board, but I love getting footage of dolphins, whales, etc.  My one issue with GoPros is how close I need to get for good footage--anything further than 20-30ft away is pretty hard to pick up in much detail.

Hi Bulky,

The new 8 is excellent for this. 

I am with you.  There are very few subjects that are exciting or engaging in in selfie-shot wide angle fish-eye (normal go-pro footage with the camera aimed at the rider).  I usually get 5 seconds into those videos before clicking out. 

The 8 has a linear and a narrow mode which not only narrow the frame of view (which "brings the background closer") but also does away with the massive distortion that goes along with the widest modes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIrTFaDfK2s
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 07:02:12 AM by Admin »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 11:29:11 PM »
That is really cool.  Somewhat related, but anyone have any opinion on what the best camera is for shooting away from you?  I don't have much interest in shots of me out on my board, but I love getting footage of dolphins, whales, etc.  My one issue with GoPros is how close I need to get for good footage--anything further than 20-30ft away is pretty hard to pick up in much detail.

Hi Bulky,

I am with you.  There are very few subjects that are exciting or engaging in in selfie-shot wide angle fish-eye (normal go-pro footage with the camera aimed at the rider).  I usually get 5 seconds into those videos before clicking out. 

The 8 has a linear and a narrow mode which not only narrow the frame of view (which "brings the background closer") but also does away with the massive distortion that goes along with the widest modes. 

Interesting comments. I’m just the opposite. GoPro was always designed as a durable wide angle (close subject) selfie action cam from day one. That has always been, and remains it’s key feature. 5 seconds into a head or chest mount cam of something in the distance, or nothing but water, and I tune out. Some blurry shot of a rider being filmed way off in the distance, same thing. But then again I’ll take any video over a 4 paragraph sleep inducing verbal discussion of someone’s last session. If nothing else I can progress faster watching selfie videos of my mistakes :P

Insta360 is announcing a new waterproof 360 action cam this month. That has peeked my interest, otherwise perfectly happy with the Hero7.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 11:31:56 PM by obxDave »

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 11:00:33 AM »

Hi Bulky,

Thanks!  I appreciate the screenshots for comparison.  Might be time for an upgrade....
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 11:32:39 AM »
So I can really get some close-ups of my friends surfing, I picked up a Sigma 100-400 mm. On my crop frame Canon DSLR it's a 150-600 mm equivalent. My old T2i still works great but the AF tracking and Shutter speeds are a little slow. I'm looking to upgrade the body to a Canon 7d mark ii. Anyone want to trade a 7d mark ii for a Coreban Icon and some cash?
Here's my new lens and some shots I took of Dave Boehne a few weeks ago at San O. Great lens.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal