Author Topic: East Side Winter Fire  (Read 2644 times)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
East Side Winter Fire
« on: December 22, 2019, 08:43:03 PM »
Quick (1 minute) clip of a few waves on the east side yesterday. The pacific side always has something, but with the winds predominantly northeast in the winter, most spots are blown out. When a cold front approaches, the wind will swing west for a day, and the east side lights up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZc3eiyvS70

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: East Side Winter Fire
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 01:26:59 AM »
Nice... You got me motivated to post some of my recent footage. I tried dual POV's, chest mount and paddle mount. I was getting hot in my 3/2, in the sun and I think it caused the Gopro lens to fog up a little. Once I got wet and cooled down it was better. I just started using Adobe Premiere, so I'll post my video on a new thread.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 02:25:05 AM »
Nice bowl’in peak you got there Oki. Sunny and clean as well.

You guys have got in the mood to film again too. Got the camera finally but got some advice on video program?
I used only iMovie so far and during my sabbatical I have been thinking about finalcut pro to give more control.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 07:21:20 AM »
@ OkiWild

Nice video.

One thing I always notice about your videos, your camera is nice to watch how you use your paddle technique wise and your foot placement on the your board when surfing the waves.

As always, thanks for sharing your videos.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 07:58:33 AM »
Oki

Very cool video. The hand drags are classic! Thanks for posting.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 02:18:23 AM »
Nice bowl’in peak you got there Oki. Sunny and clean as well.

You guys have got in the mood to film again too. Got the camera finally but got some advice on video program?
I used only iMovie so far and during my sabbatical I have been thinking about finalcut pro to give more control.

Thanks J. Nothing fancy here. Gopro in 1080/60, and edited in Cyberlink Power Director 17. Not expensive, easy to use the simple stuff, and loads of features if in-depth editing is your thing. I just try to keep it simple. As far as filming again, DO IT! I love watching all videos of SUP surfing, beginner to extreme. Every week I type it into the Youtube search, sort by date, and try to watch them all. I love to see what others are doing.

@ OkiWild

Nice video.

One thing I always notice about your videos, your camera is nice to watch how you use your paddle technique wise and your foot placement on the your board when surfing the waves.

As always, thanks for sharing your videos.

NW, as always, thanks for the kind words. I'm trying to mix it up with different shots, but get lazy and the nose camera is the go to ;-)

Oki

Very cool video. The hand drags are classic! Thanks for posting.

Bob

Thanks Bob. The hand drag has always been a natural thing for me. I can't kick-stall a SUP like a short board, and it's the only way I know how to slow it down, but it still doesn't work well... Feels good, though!

Nice... You got me motivated to post some of my recent footage. I tried dual POV's, chest mount and paddle mount. I was getting hot in my 3/2, in the sun and I think it caused the Gopro lens to fog up a little. Once I got wet and cooled down it was better. I just started using Adobe Premiere, so I'll post my video on a new thread.

Watched your most recent edit. Diggin' the chest mount. That's a good angle from a good height.

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 10:54:20 AM »
Awesome waves and surfing Okiman!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 11:18:11 AM »

Watched your most recent edit. Diggin' the chest mount. That's a good angle from a good height.
I'm thinking about a waist mount. Just buy another chest mount and modify it so it attaches to a belt. The lower the POV, the more realistic the wave height is. I'm just too tall for the Creek Hat POV on my shorter boards. I have a similar problem with the board mount because of my height. All you see is my lower body. With the waist mount it's easy to slide it to the side when you prone paddle. I slide my chest mount to about 10 o'clock right when I'm about to catch a wave. That way it's pointed more down the line when I'm on a wave. That's what I did in my recent video.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 11:22:26 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 09:34:53 AM »
Some video stuff here. FCPX is solid if you’re coming off of iMovie. Adobe is pretty dominant these days and has a ton of online help due to that. It’s subscription based but if you are in school or have a kid in school you can get it heavily discounted.

There are also good solutions from GoPro now I hear as well. Lots of cheap or free stuff.

I’d also say try moving beyond the templates in iMovie too and see what you can do before complicating things unless you dig editing. (My wife is the editor here, although I work in the industry I never loved editing myself.)

I’m ready for the AI auto assembly that GoPro and others are working on lol.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 05:54:59 AM »
Thanks for the software advice guys. I am stuck with my apple computer so the windows stuff is too complicated. This stuff is my first editing experience and although I like it so far, it does take a lot of time.  good idea to try more with the iMovie before investing in new software.

Looking forward to the next segment Oki.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 11:28:08 AM »
This stuff is my first editing experience and although I like it so far, it does take a lot of time. 
Like everything, the more you do it, the faster you get it done. From shooting amateur sports photography, you learn what to shoot, when to shoot, what to use and what to cut. It's a learning curve and it applies to stills and video. 
It's not overhead to me!

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal