Author Topic: DIY Kite Wings Anyone?  (Read 13699 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DIY Kite Wings Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 07:40:18 AM »
5 meter wing finished.  Flies great! Easy to control. Its winter here so I will probably be getting out on ice and snow covered lakes.  Unless some warm front allows me the opportunity to foil.  Boom mount is rock solid and adjusts for both pitch and length.    I flipped the blade over, much better.  Ill hopefully send a few pics but its always a crap shoot.  The battens are perfect. Really helps to maintain that perfect wing shape in all winds.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 07:40:51 AM »
Another pic

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 07:41:32 AM »
another

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 07:42:04 AM »
another

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 07:42:36 AM »
another

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
Very nice  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2019, 10:25:54 AM »
Love the paddle boom. I tried to convince Ken Winner that would be a good idea but I don't think he bought my argument. Ken is in spectacular shape and could easily prone paddle in from a mile or so out. I'm fat and old--that would take me a week without a paddle.

I've built a few carbon booms for Duotones, and they provide a welcome weight loss. Your attachment looks a lot like the duotone's as I'm sure you know, but it looks easily adjustable.

Battens may not solve all the problems of a large wing. I think there may be value in the baffle that floats the canopy above the strut in the F-one wing. Not only maintains the shape better than a long batten would, but it may also contribute to stability by reducing airflow transversely. With all the tipping that happens with these wings and the resultant change in airflow and pressure under the wing it seems likely that there's an uncontrolled spill of air from the less effective wingtip to the lower pressure, more effective one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2019, 09:43:39 AM »
I like the patterns from the repurposed sailcloth. Reminds me of Brian Jungen's sculptures using plastic chairs and Nikes.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2019, 03:50:33 PM »
Man, this is great. Expect a commercial outfit to release that paddle boom thing any day now.

Love what you do man.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »
That's Rad, congrats!  Much respect and awe.

I repaired a couple holes in a bladder on one of my kites.  While it's pretty straight forward to take it apart and repair, all the connectors and tight spaces are quite fiddly and a pain in the butt to back together.  So have much more respect for kite makers, especially diy.  Well done.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal