Author Topic: For Sale or Trade: Werner Rip Stick 79, small diameter, 73" Length  (Read 2018 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I love this paddle, the issue is I'm a bit scared to cut it based on how the Werners are fitted and the fact that it's epoxyed together. I got it a inch overhead because of the smaller blade, over time, I've figured out it still needs to be a 1" under my forehead. So, basically for 2 inches I need to make an adjustment one way or the other.

If anyone is interested, I can send pics, etc.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: For Sale or Trade: Werner Rip Stick 79, small diameter, 73" Length
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 09:23:22 AM »
AP, you might already have considered this but, if 5min epoxy was used it will come apart pretty easily with heat.  Try boiling a pot of water and dipping the handle in for a minute or so (it will not damage the paddle).  If it comes loose great, if not, then at least you know a more aggressive epoxy was probably used.   

puget sound

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 07:06:44 PM »
Similar to Bean...I used a heat gun on my epoxied handle, grabbed it with a rag, and twisted hard. Not as easy as hot glue, but it did pop free.
Starboard Sprint 21.5 / SIC RS 14x23 / SIC Bullet V1

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 07:34:26 PM »
Ditto on the heat gun method ... took my paddle into the local shop and they broke out their heat gun. We hit it with a little heat and then between two of us we'd pull and twist. If it didn't feel like it was coming loose, we'd give it a little more heat and pull and twist again. Came apart on 3rd or 4th try. Really helps to have another person so you can pull and twist from both ends. Shop didn't charge me anything, took it home and cut to new length, and put the handle back on with hot glue instead of epoxy. Haven't had any problems with it coming loose.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 06:10:32 AM »
Ditto on the heat gun method ... took my paddle into the local shop and they broke out their heat gun. We hit it with a little heat and then between two of us we'd pull and twist. If it didn't feel like it was coming loose, we'd give it a little more heat and pull and twist again. Came apart on 3rd or 4th try. Really helps to have another person so you can pull and twist from both ends. Shop didn't charge me anything, took it home and cut to new length, and put the handle back on with hot glue instead of epoxy. Haven't had any problems with it coming loose.

Great, I was a little concerned because it was definitely epoxy from Werner, I tried to get it with hot glue but no luck. I'll give it a try.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 08:55:56 AM »

If the heat doesn’t work, my neighbor used the following PITA approach, but he was ultimately successful.

The Werner handle extends 2” into the paddle shaft. So you can cut the 2” you need, leaving you with the handle with the 2” of shaft still epoxied around it.  Then just cut, pry, heat, etc., as necessary, to get the 2” of shaft casing off the handle.

OR, maybe even better, buy a new handle from Werner.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal