Author Topic: Dropping In with Strong Offshores  (Read 12596 times)

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Dropping In with Strong Offshores
« on: December 15, 2019, 06:08:48 PM »
This Sat we had pretty good waist-chest swell at my home beach-break, but we also had a a stiff offshore wind, strong enough (15+) to create some chop out in the line-up. Missed several waves due to getting a big blast of wind in the chest when trying to drop-in. Would pretty much stall me out and I'd miss the wave. Felt like I was paddling pretty hard, harder than usual for sure and was trying to have speed as wave approached. Didn't really know what to due to counter it, just kept trying. Any ideas?
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

supthecreek

Re: Dropping In with Strong Offshores
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 07:00:44 AM »
Hi someguy, welcome to the Zone
and thanks for asking a SUP question  ;D ;D ;D

I whipped this video together, to show how I deal with wind.

Think like a sailor...
They can't go straight upwind.... so they tack.
So do I.... using my back as a sail

I can turn my back, to maximize it's "sail" potential.... even in straight offshore winds.
There is ALWAYS a way to use the wind, regardless of the direction.

I left the following stuff out of the video to keep it simple:

Stagger your feet in semi surf stance
front foot forward.... and lean into it.

Paddle low and hard.... like you mean it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isIsL9KhGmk&t=3s
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:11:18 AM by supthecreek »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 07:45:22 AM »
Hard to improve on STC's advice but here are a couple of common sense things that you are probably already aware of. 

The board will blow back on you, so in strong offshores you have to use a little more caution.  You will need to get a little further up on your board to make the drop, but you will also have more time as the wind holds up the face.  Also, sitting down in the lineup will help maintain your position.

One of the things I like best about strong offshore winds is the wind-assist paddle out.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 08:06:09 AM »
Great advice.

Besides getting more forward on the board, I also squat to reduce wind resistance
until I'm sure I've caught the wave.

Also, and this was talked about in another thread a couple of years ago,
be careful if you have to turn your board over in heavy wind.  I had my
board take off when I flipped it - luckily the leash contained it and no one
was hit - when I turned it over - righted the board - the wind grabbed it
and shot it up into the air.  I should have kept two hands on it.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 08:14:06 AM »
if you dont make a wave and fall off, cover your head with your hands/arms.......
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 07:35:09 PM »
I tend to crouch and bend at the waist. Not great form usually but cutting the sail (my body) profile by half helps.

Creek called it well. Also, waxing or traction on the nose let’s you step way up to tip it down onto the face.

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 07:40:05 PM »
Thanks to all for the response ... gotta luv this forum, great tips and a video demo to boot!
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 08:04:15 PM »
some great advice. Definitely easier if side offshore not in your face.
one trick someone taught me was if it is big you can sometimes use the wind shadow of a wave in front...

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 07:21:17 AM »
I am usually averse to high winds, off or on, but I am getting more and more comfortable. Thanks for the video Creek!
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
Great vid Creek! I would emphasize sitting way inside for late take-off and you can paddle out quick if you see a bigger set coming in.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 07:04:49 PM »
There's always your knees.  ;D

20 knots onshore in this clip, but you get the picture.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B50BZyInCbt/

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 10:19:56 AM »
I like the kneeling option!

Finally getting into more waves in offshore winds, and then the last time I went out in 15mph winds, got on a small wave, and since somebody else was on it, I dropped off the back of my board. Resurfaced and received a healthy smackdown by the board which had flown up after I had dropped. Felt like my nose was broken, but it seems to be healing nicely. Still shortened my session, and scared my family (except my teenage daughter who just laughed)

Moral of the story is, offshore winds=boards flying so be doubly sure to watch your board and protect yo face!
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 01:56:03 PM »
I remember a little Zoner meetup & Sunova Demo a few years back in some pretty stiff offshores in Cookie's backyard that Rick organized vi a Island Surf & Sail.  The owner took a video of the session and there are a few drop-ins in heavy wind towards the end. The wave at 3:13 which is the technique I usually use to get into a wave that I might miss which involves using my legs to pump the board to get that last push into the wave. There is also a shot at 3:50 showing the potential danger of high-winds and flying boards. Though I've been trying to get out and get a session now and then amid Corona since it's pretty easy to social distance further out on the island where I am, I think I'm going to hold off on paddling out in really stiff offshores even though I know I can usually handle it. A board to the head or another part of the body requiring a few stitches is the last thing I think our hospital system needs right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgTN9s2AWHM
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 04:46:11 AM »
Though I've been trying to get out and get a session now and then amid Corona since it's pretty easy to social distance further out on the island where I am, I think I'm going to hold off on paddling out in really stiff offshores even though I know I can usually handle it. A board to the head or another part of the body requiring a few stitches is the last thing I think our hospital system needs right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgTN9s2AWHM
Agreed 200%. The wind was supposed to be under 10mph coming down from 15-20 and the waves were small and I thought it looked like a nice mellow surf. Learned my lesson and I’m done until the hospitals are back to semi normal.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 02:31:22 PM »
Paddling in glassy conditions makes it soooo much easier.  Here, most early mornings are calm, good for paddling and afternoons for wind sports.

When there is wind, usu. cross off (from the left if facing the beach from the water), one can paddle downwind to the right and turn left onto the wave, but even less than 10 knots requires the paddler to be further inside.   Not uncommon for paddlers try for a dozen waves and never catch one.  Also it often requires catching a wave going critical which makes for a scary drop.

The wind helps keep the paddler on a straight path:  wind from the left, paddling on the right side, as the turn approaches 90 degrees.

Will have to try the kneeling approach, as demonstrated so well by okiwild.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal