Author Topic: Paddlefest Santa Cruz  (Read 3826 times)

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddlefest Santa Cruz
« on: December 14, 2019, 08:09:17 AM »
I was thinking about going out to Paddlefest in Santa Cruz. Partially because it would be an inexpensive trip to some better waves. (Delta frequent fliers, AirBNB and a surfboard is just an extra bag to CA) And partially because it looks like fun to watch and maybe participate in the amateur surf contest.  Any advice?   Is there a place that I can get some SUP surf lessons out there? Is it a fun event to be around? Are there other people like me that travel to the event?

Or should I just go on a random weekend, or visit San Diego/LA area instead.

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Paddlefest Santa Cruz
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 08:26:21 AM »
I’ve never gone to Paddlefest, but how could you go wrong? : )

As for lessons/local advice, Olivier is a super cool guy who bought Covewater Paddle Surf a few years ago, and carries the SUP torch. Covewater is centrally located too.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 08:47:28 AM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 08:29:55 AM »
I enjoy paddlefest.  I didn't officially participate last year, I was in the unofficial foil "events", basically hanging out and flying with the out of town folks whether famous, infamous, or regulars.  Total blast! 

Lots of people come from out of town, I'd say more so than locals.  Hanging out on the cliff is a big part of being there, it's fun.

Plenty of beginners and total newbs enter the heats, and even the pro event.  For me this is what makes paddlefest such a great event.

Covewater has lessons, and visiting pros often have clinics/workshops, Zane usually has something offered.

I'd book accommodations early, and the closer to the lane the better, makes it easy to hangout all day.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 08:57:01 AM »
I enjoy paddlefest.  I didn't officially participate last year, I was in the unofficial foil "events", basically hanging out and flying with the out of town folks whether famous, infamous, or regulars.  Total blast! 

Lots of people come from out of town, I'd say more so than locals.  Hanging out on the cliff is a big part of being there, it's fun.

Plenty of beginners and total newbs enter the heats, and even the pro event.  For me this is what makes paddlefest such a great event.

Covewater has lessons, and visiting pros often have clinics/workshops, Zane usually has something offered.

I'd book accommodations early, and the closer to the lane the better, makes it easy to hangout all day.

Clay, your video on the paddlefest was my original inspiration several years ago. Totally inspirational. I will book early, as I need to do it on frequent flyers. Beachview hotel seems like the place to stay, right there with free parking.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 12:54:10 PM »
Right on!

Hope to see you there.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »
Santa Cruz Paddlefest started as a Surf Kayak competition many years ago, SUP events were added several years ago.  I've surfed in the kayak competition a couple of times.  Sometimes what they call the "B" site (novice and intermediates)  is not well run YMMV.   Events are pretty much dominated by central california paddle surfers who have the advantage of surfing steamer lane more than for just a few short hours before the events.  Like any surf event the excitement level depends a lot on the size of the waves.  My first year the surf was huge and the organizers almost canceled the event.  Big waves are more likely than smaller waves, and even the B-site can be intimidating with huge surf.  Sometimes the surf is tiny and it becomes a battle for who can catch and perform on knee bangers.  In any event I've always found it fun to watch and catch up with my paddle surfing friends.  If you are coming to get some surf time and you are a novice, it's good to have a plan B for where to surf.  Cowells can be OK when it's huge, but it will also be crowded.   Linda Mar (Pacifica State Beach)  up the coast about an hour can be a lot more manageable for novice / intermediate surfers.   Bolinas which is much further north, but a beautiful drive up the coast can also be good when the surf is huge.  Parking can be  an issue, check online for suggestions.  Parking in Santa Cruz sucks, and the local laws are not very friendly to outsiders.  Also be aware that Santa Cruz still has a reputation for having the unfriendliest surfers in California.  If you are a novice /intermediate best to stay away from Steamer Lane except during the competition.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 08:01:53 PM »
Thanks seadart. I definitely want to surf. I am an intermediate, but am quite respectful and careful and generally find my own peak.

I didn't realize that the santa cruz surfers were so unfriendly--good to know.    I have family in Pacifa that I've never visited, so that would be an option for surf.  I also was thinking of going to one of the motels near the beach that have free parking...

food for thought.

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 09:25:50 AM »
I just moved here to Santa Cruz from San Francisco. I got tired of driving here all the time. ;D

PM me if you are coming from out of town and I will be happy to show you a SUP friendly spot that can be super fun even when big.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 09:52:39 AM »
I just moved here to Santa Cruz from San Francisco. I got tired of driving here all the time. ;D

PM me if you are coming from out of town and I will be happy to show you a SUP friendly spot that can be super fun even when big.

Wow, thanks!  I certainly will. I am going to nail down my schedule in the next week, and fingers crossed I'll be out there in March!!
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 04:24:32 AM »
SupSean...leaving NY/NJ during the coldest water month of the year?   Go anywhere!!!!! ;)

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 04:35:44 AM »
SupSean...leaving NY/NJ during the coldest water month of the year?   Go anywhere!!!!! ;)
Exactly. Although I’d love to go to Costa Rica or someplace warm, I can’t afford it and my family would kill me to go alone.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 09:09:25 AM »
I'm going for it! Just got my hotel near Cowells and AA miles flight reserved. Now a SUP bag, and I'm kinda ready. Hurry up and wait.

https://carousel-beach-inn.com
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal