Author Topic: Hernia Repair Advice  (Read 1817 times)

oceanAddict

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hernia Repair Advice
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 09:06:48 AM »
same with me--any more than 7.5 hrs laying down (asleep or not) and  i get up with back pain--usually fixed with a hot shower and a stretch

this thing had me laying down for some 22 hours per day during initial recovery--the cramps and back issues were worse than the gut cut pain

i thought i was well-trained for this, but next time ima do yoga daily for 30 days prior--cant think of any other way to prevent this shit

proner budddy's sending clips from el sunzal and troncones--looks nice down there--he's ripping it up

hey eastern

wishing you a speedy recovery and have a suggestion perhaps related to the morning back pain. I just have begun getting AARP invitations in the mail and last several years experienced something similar - ie morning back pain. My wife convinced me that our mattress  is to blame and literally twisted my arm to get a tempur pedic foam mattress. I was skeptical about all these sales gimmics but after two weeks I realized I feel better in the morning and while she is not reading that, I can admit she was right and it was totally worth it. 
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 06:34:47 AM »
thx OA -- ive tried tempurpedic a couple times, but i sleep, some of the time, on my stomach, and found the tempurpedic not so great for that -- i seem to like a superfirm mattress, with a plush topper -- if i can exercise and stretch, my back is aok

some day ill share thoughts re why i did open cut mesh repair

net, had the surgery tues 1/21--half day at work monday--full day,yesterday and today--only pain is whjen i forget and jump up to get a print from the printer, and get a lil reminder--but all the little reminders are less frequent and less severe -- i think im on the homestretch -- follow up in a week, where i will eagerly sort out what exercise i can do when -- the no surfing for 8 weeks part will not change, but might be i can ride a bike soon??

knock wood, but im good

thx for the kind thoughts
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

oceanAddict

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 07:35:54 AM »
Guess I just jinxed myself by posting here haha. After a week on nagging pain went to a walk-in clinic yesterday, they transferred me to ER and discharge diagnose was an inguinal hernia. Bummed
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 10:57:18 AM »
sorry to hear -- two weeks out i feel fine -- only allowed to walk so walked 10 miles on sat and sun -- officebound now
problem is no surf for 6-8 weeks -- i have followup with surgeon fri -- gon pin him down on PT for restrengthening -- and program to keep core strong to prevent recurrance of hernia on other side

they said steristrips shd be left to fall off on own -- mine aint fallen off, but can see what looks like a pretty nasty 3.5 in cut -- def well-healed, and not infected, but it's quite the cut! pretty much no pain at all as of now -- i seem to be one of the lucky ones -- knock formica

i could see how those who are vain about scarring might not like a cut like mine -- me? vanity? i accepted my gen'l ugliness years ago --= what's vanity??

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Wetstuff

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »
EB... my big nose got in this thread.. "some of the time, on my stomach, and found the tempurpedic not so great for that "  There are docs who would tell you to 'never sleep on your stomach'  ...especially if you have back issues.

Jim
Sunova Skate XL .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 12:46:29 PM »
EB... my big nose got in this thread.. "some of the time, on my stomach, and found the tempurpedic not so great for that "  There are docs who would tell you to 'never sleep on your stomach'  ...especially if you have back issues.

Jim

hear you, jim---my mom put me on my stomach as a baby based on wisdom 60 years ago, and i am addicted -- i can and do sleep a bit on my sides, but always spend time on my stomach -- on my back i get sleep apnea -- no issue on sides on stomach -- so i am working with "least bad" options -- but my back has been ok of recent, but for the awful cramping and sciatica after lying in bed for 30 or 40 hours mostly, after surgery -- that's all gone, thk god

i tend to need a firm mattreess, and if it turns out to bruise my hips and elbows, I add a soft topper -- that's worked so far -- i went off model and just ordered a sleep science organic latex mattress with adjustable bed, from costco -- hope i like it -- tho costco will come collect it if i dont -- but it'd be nice if it works well for me
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

* Recent Posts

post Re: GoPro $1 Million Challenge and Review
[General Discussion]
supsean
Today at 04:51:40 AM
post Re: A Great Find: Gerry Lopez Futures GL2- 5 Fin Set
[Gear Talk]
OkiWild
February 17, 2020, 09:28:09 PM
post Re: New ultralight foil motor for catching unbreaking waves
[Foil SUP]
SUPdad
February 17, 2020, 09:02:06 PM
post Re: New ultralight foil motor for catching unbreaking waves
[Foil SUP]
SUPdad
February 17, 2020, 09:01:10 PM
post Re: When Foiling Goes Wrong
[Foil SUP]
fatfish
February 17, 2020, 06:57:37 PM
post Re: Who would watch a 1 hour windwing video?
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
supkailua
February 17, 2020, 05:25:40 PM
post Re: New Naish S25 Wing-Surfer
supkailua
February 17, 2020, 05:22:16 PM
PonoBill
February 17, 2020, 05:12:07 PM
VB_Foil
February 17, 2020, 04:55:39 PM
post Re: Wing window thread
flkiter
February 17, 2020, 03:43:36 PM
post Re: Wing window thread
Dwight (DW)
February 17, 2020, 03:06:41 PM
post 9'1 Sunova Creek Pretty much new
[Classifieds]
Zooport
February 17, 2020, 02:28:45 PM
post Foil race Cocoa Beach Florida March
[Foil SUP]
flkiter
February 17, 2020, 02:11:32 PM
ninja tuna
February 17, 2020, 02:09:36 PM
Dwight (DW)
February 17, 2020, 02:08:13 PM