Author Topic: Hernia Repair Advice  (Read 6808 times)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hernia Repair Advice
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 09:06:48 AM »
same with me--any more than 7.5 hrs laying down (asleep or not) and  i get up with back pain--usually fixed with a hot shower and a stretch

this thing had me laying down for some 22 hours per day during initial recovery--the cramps and back issues were worse than the gut cut pain

i thought i was well-trained for this, but next time ima do yoga daily for 30 days prior--cant think of any other way to prevent this shit

proner budddy's sending clips from el sunzal and troncones--looks nice down there--he's ripping it up

hey eastern

wishing you a speedy recovery and have a suggestion perhaps related to the morning back pain. I just have begun getting AARP invitations in the mail and last several years experienced something similar - ie morning back pain. My wife convinced me that our mattress  is to blame and literally twisted my arm to get a tempur pedic foam mattress. I was skeptical about all these sales gimmics but after two weeks I realized I feel better in the morning and while she is not reading that, I can admit she was right and it was totally worth it. 
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 06:34:47 AM »
thx OA -- ive tried tempurpedic a couple times, but i sleep, some of the time, on my stomach, and found the tempurpedic not so great for that -- i seem to like a superfirm mattress, with a plush topper -- if i can exercise and stretch, my back is aok

some day ill share thoughts re why i did open cut mesh repair

net, had the surgery tues 1/21--half day at work monday--full day,yesterday and today--only pain is whjen i forget and jump up to get a print from the printer, and get a lil reminder--but all the little reminders are less frequent and less severe -- i think im on the homestretch -- follow up in a week, where i will eagerly sort out what exercise i can do when -- the no surfing for 8 weeks part will not change, but might be i can ride a bike soon??

knock wood, but im good

thx for the kind thoughts
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 07:35:54 AM »
Guess I just jinxed myself by posting here haha. After a week on nagging pain went to a walk-in clinic yesterday, they transferred me to ER and discharge diagnose was an inguinal hernia. Bummed
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 10:57:18 AM »
sorry to hear -- two weeks out i feel fine -- only allowed to walk so walked 10 miles on sat and sun -- officebound now
problem is no surf for 6-8 weeks -- i have followup with surgeon fri -- gon pin him down on PT for restrengthening -- and program to keep core strong to prevent recurrance of hernia on other side

they said steristrips shd be left to fall off on own -- mine aint fallen off, but can see what looks like a pretty nasty 3.5 in cut -- def well-healed, and not infected, but it's quite the cut! pretty much no pain at all as of now -- i seem to be one of the lucky ones -- knock formica

i could see how those who are vain about scarring might not like a cut like mine -- me? vanity? i accepted my gen'l ugliness years ago --= what's vanity??

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »
EB... my big nose got in this thread.. "some of the time, on my stomach, and found the tempurpedic not so great for that "  There are docs who would tell you to 'never sleep on your stomach'  ...especially if you have back issues.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 12:46:29 PM »
EB... my big nose got in this thread.. "some of the time, on my stomach, and found the tempurpedic not so great for that "  There are docs who would tell you to 'never sleep on your stomach'  ...especially if you have back issues.

Jim

hear you, jim---my mom put me on my stomach as a baby based on wisdom 60 years ago, and i am addicted -- i can and do sleep a bit on my sides, but always spend time on my stomach -- on my back i get sleep apnea -- no issue on sides on stomach -- so i am working with "least bad" options -- but my back has been ok of recent, but for the awful cramping and sciatica after lying in bed for 30 or 40 hours mostly, after surgery -- that's all gone, thk god

i tend to need a firm mattreess, and if it turns out to bruise my hips and elbows, I add a soft topper -- that's worked so far -- i went off model and just ordered a sleep science organic latex mattress with adjustable bed, from costco -- hope i like it -- tho costco will come collect it if i dont -- but it'd be nice if it works well for me
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal